Is it possible to transfer from pharmacy to dentistry? Watch

dr junior
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
hi,

i wanted to know after completing the first year of pharmacy at 75% is it possible to transfer to dentistry degree 1st year? please could you help me with this question?
jokjok11
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Transferring into Dentistry is very rare i believe? Dentistry is oversubscribed as it is... Very hard to transfer in... U must be very lucky if u do... right place at the right time..? good luck tho if your thinkin about it...
Speedbird2008
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jokjok11)
Transferring into Dentistry is very rare i believe? Dentistry is oversubscribed as it is... Very hard to transfer in... U must be very lucky if u do... right place at the right time..? good luck tho if your thinkin about it...
You are allowed to use jsut the one full stop.

And OP, it would be very difficult, and you would probably be better off doing the graduate course.
jt33th
Badges: 1
Report 10 years ago
i know this sounds stupid lol but wat does OP mean?
yosrush
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jt33th)
He wants to drop out of pharmacy (he's finished first year, and has done quite well) and try to apply to dentistry instead, because he's changed his mind.

As to OP, if you're not happy with pharmacy, feel free to apply to dentisry, getting 75% in a 1st year pharmacy course is a heck of a lot harder than anything in school. They might want a graduate instead though (I can probably tell you're not too keen on finishing your degree just to apply to dentistry), just give them a call is all i can advise, no harm done there.
Evolin
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jt33th)
OP means original poster.

As to the question- I don't think anyone here could answer it. I think you would have to reapply through the normal routes though.
hannahcan
Report 10 years ago
you might be able to. i want to do optometry at uni and might switch over to dentistry after (if i still want to do it) - some unis do graduate dentistry if you have a first class degree in a biomedically-related subject.

so i phoned up kings and asked them if it was possible to do it with an optometry degree and they said you have to email them with the modules of optometry so they can see if there is enough bio/chem in it.

and to be honest, there is definitely more chemistry in pharmacy than optometry

Evolin
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by hannahcan)
you might be able to. i want to do optometry at uni and might switch over to dentistry after (if i still want to do it) - some unis do graduate dentistry if you have a first class degree in a biomedically-related subject.

so i phoned up kings and asked them if it was possible to do it with an optometry degree and they said you have to email them with the modules of optometry so they can see if there is enough bio/chem in it.

and to be honest, there is definitely more chemistry in pharmacy than optometry

yup, if the OP completes the degree then they may be able to apply for grad entry. But i don't think they'll be able transfer after just one year of doing optom!
hannahcan
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Evolin)
yup, if the OP completes the degree then they may be able to apply for grad entry. But i don't think they'll be able transfer after just one year of doing optom!
yeah i agree but if i did decide to do dentistry whilst doing optometry, i would complete the optom degree and then do dentistry. that way, there's more bio,chem stuff in the degree and if i dont get a place in graduate dentistry, im happy being an optician
Evolin
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by hannahcan)
yeah i agree but if i did decide to do dentistry whilst doing optometry, i would complete the optom degree and then do dentistry. that way, there's more bio,chem stuff in the degree and if i dont get a place in graduate dentistry, im happy being an optician
yeh that sounds a better idea!
dentalstudentGKT
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
if did want to do dentistry i think you would have to drop out of pharmacy and apply for dentistry that way meaning that your 75% (congrats on that by the way) would mean nothing and all your qualifications prior to that would have to be taken into account. i have heard of transfers from dent to med and vice versa but that is about it.
your best bet would be to complete your course, do well in it and apply afterwards- this is just my opinion however and doesnt substitute for what admissions people at the respective universities would want.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
39.05%
No - but I will (46)
6.8%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.54%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (315)
46.6%

Watched Threads