Cambridge Special Access Scheme HELP!!! Watch

Terry J
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I will begin Y13 in sep 08, taking French, Gen Studies, History and Health & Social Care to A Level.

GCSE: 3B's 6C's 3D's and 1 E
Predicted AS: CDDD

I am planning on going to the following unis/courses:

Aberdeen - French (4yrs)
Stirling - French (4yrs)
Bangor - French, Italian and Spanish
Nott Trent - French and Chinese
Sussex - French and Italian

Between Sep 08 - Jun 09 I will take Spanish lessons and teach myself Italian
and I hope to get a holiday job in France for summer 09.
BUT
I REALLY!!! would like to study Modern and Medieval Langs at Cambridge taking French and Italian, because Cambridge is an excellent university and languages are an excellent subject!

I plan to work REALLY Hard in y13 to get good grades.

However, I have suffered terrible personal circumstances since Y10 (4 close bereavements in 11 months including my mother) and suffer from Nystagmus (eye problem) meaning I need enlarged work.

Would it be possible to apply with the Cambridge Special Access Scheme
to get a slighly reduced offer or maybe apply to Christ's College and get an easy offer!
:tsr2:
The West Wing
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What languages do you want to do, and how good are you at them? Do you think you will cope with the workload if you can't even get an A at A level in the subject you want to do?
Terry J
Rep:
?
What would a typical workload for a Cambridge student doing French and (ab initio) Italian Be?

I believe that if I put enough hard work into my A levels then an A grade should be attainable.

I plan to study extra curricular Spanish and teach myself Italian (to show my enthusiasm and committment to languges)
FadedJade
  • CV Helper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Realistically, I think its very unlikely. In your circumstances it would probably be better to apply elsewhere, then if you do end up getting A's, withdrawing from UCAS and then applying to Cambridge (thus having a gap year.)
Terry J
Rep:
?
In that casedoes anyone have any advice on how to get straight A's
I crammed for my GCSE's and came out with 3B's
two22
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you want a really honest opinion, even with your extenuating cirumstances, I don't think you stand a chance. As Nina said, if you manage to get A's then apply after your A-level's, but the work at Cambridge is hard, and if you couldn't even get an A in your chosen subject at GCSE, then it's likely you would struggle considerably with a Cambridge course.
generalebriety
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think you're crazy. Let's say you do get an EE offer to go to Christ's (of which I think your chances are zero); how will you cope with the work when you're there?
Robob
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
lol
HCD
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you're not intelligent enough to get the required grades with little to no effort, you really shouldn't be looking at Cambridge.
screenager2004
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
1) Health + social care and general studies are blacklisted by Cambridge, they don't really accept them because they're seen as "soft subjects" (see: http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/unde.../requirements/)

So you're really left with French and History as your "proper" subjects and can't afford to mess up either. Which will put you at a disadvantage when say, against someone with four traditional non-blacklisted subjects. Especially general studies, many universities simply don't count it in the offer, and just consider it a fourth A level you took. cambridge included.

Secondly, even if you exceed predicted grades in three subjects and get CCCC - that's only 180/300 UMS at AS level. Which means to get 480/600 overall - (an A) you basically need full marks in every paper - it's a tall order.
NS
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
After that HUGE post, the only question you asked was: Would it be possible to apply with the Cambridge Special Access Scheme?

The answer is yes you would be able to.

Do I think you will get an offer from Cambridge with 3Bs, 6Cs, and 1E at GCSE and CDDD at AS Level including GS and Health and Social Care?

;no; The CSAS isn't magic. You still need to get AAA, or perhaps AAB. Best of luck though.
epitome
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think, given the circumstances, you're best off completeing your A Levels to the very best of your ability and then applying to universities with your grades in hand. If your grades so far don't reflect your actual ability, you'll be doing yourself a favour by taking a gap year (or two or three) to get the 'academic profile' you need. That is, it's better to apply to places with As and Bs at A Level than C and below at AS, and less than average GCSEs. So I'd work really hard to get as much as you can at A Level, and then assess the situation.

Also, you might want to put some thought into the courses you're thinking of. Cambridge MML is primarily literary and historical, rather than 'useful' languages (that is, the emphasis is on professional translation, medieval languages, and literature, rather than everyday language use). Many other universities are much better at actually teaching you the useful language, and encourage you to USE it (rather than just study it). Just a thought.
Terry J
Rep:
?
I plan to do the following to get an good grades.

- Revise notes after lesson and before following lesson
- Revise for 3 hours per day 6 days a week

For Jan 09 exams, I will start revision on Sept 29th 08 - 11 weeks
For May 09 exams i will start revision on Jan 19th 09 - 13 weeks

Do you think it would get me good grades?
shunter7634
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Terry J)
I plan to do the following to get an good grades.

- Revise notes after lesson and before following lesson
- Revise for 3 hours per day 6 days a week

For Jan 09 exams, I will start revision on Sept 29th 08 - 11 weeks
For May 09 exams i will start revision on Jan 19th 09 - 13 weeks

Do you think it would get me good grades?
Maybe. But it won't help you with Cambridge - if you're having to work that hard to get A grades at A-level, the unfortunate fact is that the workload at Cambridge will be far too much. However, if you do end up getting the As you need, take a gap year and re-apply. I'd doubt you'd get an interview given your current position, even through CSAS.
zedliv
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Although that might get you good grades, you can't excel at interview through sheer hard work. Also, if getting good grades at A level involves such an effort, how would you cope with the workload at Cambridge? It is always good to aim high, and I admire your willingness to succeed, but perhaps these are things that you need to consider. Mainly, are you right for Cambridge, and is Cambridge right for you?
Greatleysteg
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I see you're from Liverpool. Do you mind me asking which school you go to?

What with 6 Liverpool schools in the worst 50 in the country, it's very possible that you've underperformed due to your education.

I mean, if it's somewhere like Parklands (1% 5A-C), New Heys (17%), St. Benedict's (~21%) etc, then what you've got is actually pretty good, for GCSE at least. I mean, I went to one of the better comps in Liverpool, and our average A Level student gets CDD.

Especially considering your extenuating circumstances, I don't think you should listen to what people are saying here... you just need to present a compelling case, effectively.

Don't give up!
Ekpyrotic
Badges: 13
Report 10 years ago
Parklands (1% 5A-C)
Ouch!

OP: Not a chance.

Edit: I don't claim to be a Cambridge student/applicant but your grades are way too low.
Terry J
Rep:
?
I go to Gateacre Comprehensive which is the 15th best for results in the city with 61% A*-C GCSE for 2007
Ekpyrotic
Badges: 13
Report 10 years ago
I go to Gateacre Comprehensive which is the 15th best for results in the city with 61% A*-C GCSE for 2007
Are you trolling?
beacmd
Report 10 years ago
Actually, I don`t believe that it is possible to, just regarding your grades or your school, judge your ability and hence your potential to go to Cambridge on TSR. The Admission officers and all the others involved in the admission process are the ones who are best at it and this task should be left to them. Maybe you`re talented at the subject you want to study and your personal situation has "disguised" this fact, which is not an improbable idea at all, maybe you`re not. So my experience is: Apply and find out what the people in charge of this question - which are the ones with the experience, the admission accountables - think.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 5 Jul '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (558)
37.78%
No - but I will (115)
7.79%
No - I don't want to (103)
6.97%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (701)
47.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise