Bath... Is it arty at all? Watch

Je3y
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Is architecture at Bath uni arty at all?

From the looks of the prospectus book, It doesn't mention much about the art/design aspects of architecture... it's worrying me!

For those at Bath Uni at the moment, anyone wanna share their thoughts on studying there?
scraceus999
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Bath is known for its scientific and technical approach to architecture. To be honest Art wont get you anywhere at Bath; they prefer maths and physics etc. It is the only uni which is known to sway to that side!
Je3y
Rep:
?
damn

I wanted to go there aswell, Sheffield is probably my next option but AAA requirement is very high!

I need to find a good university preferrably less than 3hours away from essex
tom_tom_tom
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ermmm bath uni is very nice and kinda green and landscaped etc

and a few ugly buildings but on the whole i say it is nice

i think this is what you are asking :ninja:
Je3y
Rep:
?
Lol thanks,

any other opinions on Bath being arty at all? Because its a very well respected uni...
The_Bear
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Not arty at all.

In fact we used to lynch arty people.
Je3y
Rep:
?
The university's architecture course lol

I was hoping it was a mix of art and science, anyone wanna prove these people wrong and tell me that at least some aspect of art and design is involved!
Je3y
Rep:
?
God, i only asked for other people's opinion. I have read specification on the website, and just wanted views of people who currently study there.
Hispanic-Impressions
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't go there but I went to a post-offer open day type thing, where they got us to do a design task. The impression that I got was that it isn't quite as non-arty (ooh what a word) as people make it out to be.

Hmm I'm sure someone here actually does architecture there, but I can't remember who.
Je3y
Rep:
?
So, anyone on this forum go to Bath? Even though people say its not arty at all, can you prove me otherwise?
scraceus999
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I have been told from many architects that Bath is more technical..... You wont find anyone saying that it is VERY arty. Of course it has to have an element of design, but it sways more to that of Architectural Engineering than anything else.
somewiseguy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
hello, I am actually going to bath this October for architecture. it seems like you have got quite a few unhelpful replies-ranging from people who haven't even applied yet (no offense scraceus999 but you can't really comment at this stage), people who are talking about the architecture OF bath, and other students at bath who are talking about the uni in general.

I'll help you out here. Bath in general is a very scientific uni (you wont find subjects like history and english there) so naturally the technical side of architecture is featured-but this is part of the course anyway as being an architect requires a balance i guess. the actual course however is prominently design based, so model making and drawing and all the design elements are definitely there-i found this out on the offer holders' day where we were set a group design task. So the course at bath has a nice balance of arts and sciences-which in turn trains you for the profession. Bath's reputation for it's engineering side is probably due to the collaboration between the architecture department and the engineering department-meaning that projects are allocated to teams of both architects and engineers working together. But this doesn't mean you focus on engineering within the architecture course-that's the engineer's job, what this is, is a simulation of how real designers and engineers work on real projects.

so to answer your question, yes it is arty-otherwise you would be a rubbish architect. I mean how could you design a building if you were not taught to....design?
9mm
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't think 'arty' or 'non-arty' are exactly the right terms to be using here :p:

Sorry I can't comment on Bath too much as I haven't been there, but a Professor who studied architecture there told me it leans more towards the technical side and less on the conceptual aspect.
scraceus999
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by somewiseguy)
hello, I am actually going to bath this October for architecture. it seems like you have got quite a few unhelpful replies-ranging from people who haven't even applied yet (no offense scraceus999 but you can't really comment at this stage), people who are talking about the architecture OF bath, and other students at bath who are talking about the uni in general.

I'll help you out here. Bath in general is a very scientific uni (you wont find subjects like history and english there) so naturally the technical side of architecture is featured-but this is part of the course anyway as being an architect requires a balance i guess. the actual course however is prominently design based, so model making and drawing and all the design elements are definitely there-i found this out on the offer holders' day where we were set a group design task. So the course at bath has a nice balance of arts and sciences-which in turn trains you for the profession. Bath's reputation for it's engineering side is probably due to the collaboration between the architecture department and the engineering department-meaning that projects are allocated to teams of both architects and engineers working together. But this doesn't mean you focus on engineering within the architecture course-that's the engineer's job, what this is, is a simulation of how real designers and engineers work on real projects.

so to answer your question, yes it is arty-otherwise you would be a rubbish architect. I mean how could you design a building if you were not taught to....design?
im sorry i dont think i put across my points very well; it sounded like i knew everything about the course, which of course i dont. You are right to point this out somewiseguy!
I had only meant to say that Bath is more technical and less suited to those who prefer art and dislike science or maths.... as opposed to other architecture schools. you agree somewiseguy?
Sorry if i sounded a bit high and mighty, no offense meant.

username203376
Report 10 years ago

Constructive answer. Bath will be my 3rd choice when I apply and from what I've heard it's a good course with a wide range of possibilities for its undergrads.
somewiseguy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by scraceus999)
im sorry i dont think i put across my points very well; it sounded like i knew everything about the course, which of course i dont. You are right to point this out somewiseguy!
I had only meant to say that Bath is more technical and less suited to those who prefer art and dislike science or maths.... as opposed to other architecture schools. you agree somewiseguy?
Sorry if i sounded a bit high and mighty, no offense meant.

Oh no, don't worry-i only meant to say that although your reply was valid to an extent-it was limited because you hadn't gone through the application process yet and i thought the OP might have wanted to also hear from someone who had. But obviously it seems as though you have done your research-as a comparison between bath and say-the bartlett, would show that bath do a lot more technical stuff (an undergraduate at the bartlett told me they did none whatsoever). my only problem with your reply was the comment, 'art will get you nowhere at bath' because that is not true at all for the subject, let alone the institution. plus, i would like to think of myself as fairly arty too :cool:
somewiseguy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Arct)
Constructive answer. Bath will be my 3rd choice when I apply and from what I've heard it's a good course with a wide range of possibilities for its undergrads.
yeah, well it was originally my 3rd choice (after cambridge and the bartlett), but i seriously started to see myself going there after invited to the open day where i got a nice feel for the place and course. Of course, i had no choice in the end because cambridge and UCL fell through (bah...though i was admittedly put off the bartlett by their intense atmosphere and lack of focus-but thats a story for another day). so where are you placing 1st and 2nd? i hope sheffield and cardiff are in the mix-because leaving them out of mine was one my biggest mistakes.
RocketTown
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
and i wish i'd put bath in my selection lol
scraceus999
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i dont think im going to apply there; i dont do maths OR science. I also only want to apply to one school asking for AAA which i believe will be nottingham... although i want to apply to sheffield too (with general studies). plus it has 18 applications per place, and i want to go somewhere with a balance of art and science....
username203376
Report 10 years ago
yeah, well it was originally my 3rd choice (after cambridge and the bartlett), but i seriously started to see myself going there after invited to the open day where i got a nice feel for the place and course. Of course, i had no choice in the end because cambridge and UCL fell through (bah...though i was admittedly put off the bartlett by their intense atmosphere and lack of focus-but thats a story for another day). so where are you placing 1st and 2nd? i hope sheffield and cardiff are in the mix-because leaving them out of mine was one my biggest mistakes.
Cambridge, St John's - 1st
UCL - 2nd

Just out of interest, how did your applications to UCL, and in particular cambridge go? As in, do you know why you didn't make them? I'm quite worried about the interview myself.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (362)
37.36%
No - but I will (74)
7.64%
No - I don't want to (67)
6.91%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (466)
48.09%

Watched Threads