The Student Room Group

Urgent question someone please help!!!! Concave mirror

A small mirror has a concave shape with a power of 4D. The base of an object is placed 50 cm in front of the mirror. The object intends 10° at the mirror.

Give your answer in mm to the nearest mm

Calculate image distance and image height.

Where it says "the object intends 10° at the mirror" I'm so confused!!!
Original post by Helloaaa
A small mirror has a concave shape with a power of 4D. The base of an object is placed 50 cm in front of the mirror. The object intends 10° at the mirror.

Give your answer in mm to the nearest mm

Calculate image distance and image height.

Where it says "the object intends 10° at the mirror" I'm so confused!!!

I think it means a line from top of the object to mirror's centre makes a 10° angle to the horiz, so object height = 50tan10°
Reply 2
Original post by Physics Enemy
I think it means a line from top of the object to mirror's centre makes a 10° angle to the horiz, so object height = 50tan10°

Thank you for answering.
But where did you get tan from?
Thank you for answering.
But where did you get tan from?

Right angled triangle: vertical height of object, horiz length of 50 and hypoteneuse from top of object to mirror's centre (at 10° to horiz).
Reply 4
Right angled triangle: vertical height of object, horiz length of 50 and hypoteneuse from top of object to mirror's centre (at 10° to horiz).

15719537330757936840257100603752.jpg

I have tried drawing the ray diagram. Can you please point out where I would draw the angle and which triangle it is .... as there seems to be more than one ....... thank you
15719537330757936840257100603752.jpg

I have tried drawing the ray diagram. Can you please point out where I would draw the angle and which triangle it is .... as there seems to be more than one ....... thank you

You have mirror power, object height, object distance. Use eqns to find image distance, height. Leave your answers as +ve. Don't worry about a ray diagram.

Hypoteneuse is from top of object to mirror's centre, adjacent is 50, opposite to 10° is the object's height. These aren't rays tho, just sides of a triangle.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6
You have mirror power, object height, object distance. Use eqns to find image distance, height. Answers must be +ve. Don't worry about a ray diagram.

Hypoteneuse is from top of object to mirror's centre, adjacent is 50, opposite to 10° is the object's height. These aren't rays tho, just sides of a triangle.

Thank you so much! They asked us to draw a ray diagram, just a rough sketch.. hence why I asked ...

I got a positive number for image distance which means it will be a real image and therefore magnification will be negative and image height will be negative too..

But they want answers in mm so when calculating OBJECT HEIGHT would it be 500mmtan10 instead of 50cmtan10?
(edited 4 years ago)
Thank you so much! They asked us to draw a ray diagram, just a rough sketch.. hence why I asked ...

I got a positive number for image distance which means it will be a real image and therefore magnification will be negative and image height will be negative too..

But they want answers in mm so when calculating OBJECT HEIGHT would it be 500mmtan10 instead of 50cmtan10?

Concave mirror, so focal length is +25 cm (same side as object). Object is further than this from mirror, you get a real inverted image on same side as object. So your signs look good. If you have answers in cm (or m), just convert them to mm.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest