Changed...in a good way? Watch

jenren22
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
This thread is mainly aimed at girls really...Only 3 years ago i was a scruffy kid. I was obsessed with anything horses, and was constantly at the yard getting dirty and coming home with a dirt moustache. Since quitting horses though i have gradually changed into a fashion and beauty obsessed girly girl. I never used to get showers every day, i never used to file my nails, i never used to shave my legs!

It's sort of made me sad in a way, as i had a hobby and a passion, but i had to give it up due to financial reasons and the fact i was going to uni. I made the right decision. It's just sometimes i feel my family and friends are perhaps sad to see me change into who i am now, when i was completely the opposite when i was younger. Of course i take care of my skin and health etc much more than i did then, i used to use foundation two shades too dark and didn't know the meaning of cleansing and moisturising. I never had one pair of heels, now i can walk in 5 inch heels no problem and i own over 10 pairs. I never owned a skirt, now i have a wardrobe full! I never used to have boyfriends, now i have one long term. Everything is literally transformed, and i have to say, i do feel better and much much sexier now, although it's overwhelming how much i've changed in a short time.

Does anyone else feel they've changed a substantial amount in the last few years in that department? Are you more fashionable now? Do you feel prettier now more than ever? Do you feel like the change is a good change?

Might sound like a weird thread but it's often sad to watch myself grow up!
Annaconda
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i still spend half my time on yards, and in farms etc, but the other half of the time like you are now, although maybe not so much
SoundDevastation
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I was a tomboy before and now im even more of a tomboy! I dont think its 'growing up' as such, just your situation changes and whats important to you changes..
La Trampa
  • CV Helper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
this is more general discussion or H&R than F&B folks.
circlesquaretriangle
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i used to be a goth about 4 years ago for about 2 years. id always been a bit 'alternative' but then i came into monies and could buy myself big goth boots and wear all black to my hearts desire. i had piercings, and black eyes, dodgey haircuts (i shaved it all off once!) and later on dreadlocks.
in retrospect i looked a mess, and surprisingly i had a boyfriend during that period.

nowadays im not exactly 'high maintenance' but im up to date on whats in fashion, whats in the shops, whats in fashion for next season. i follow the fashion weeks and can wax on about my favourite designers.

even though i look far better now, a bit more 'normal' and approachable i sometimes miss those old days as i was so confident in what i wore and who i was. im confident in what i like now, you know i like what i like. but before i wasnt bothered AT ALL and didnt even notice any stares and the odd negative comment just rolled off of my shoulders.. and i miss that sort of rebellion in a way.

thats the only way i can describe it really.
SoundDevastation
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by circlesquaretriangle)
i used to be a goth about 4 years ago for about 2 years. id always been a bit 'alternative' but then i came into monies and could buy myself big goth boots and wear all black to my hearts desire. i had piercings, and black eyes, dodgey haircuts (i shaved it all off once!) and later on dreadlocks.
dreads are awesome! If it wasnt for my job id have dreads. I think its a complete shame that alternative/rebellious fashion is considered immature and something everyone 'grows out of'. ive grown in to it..
circlesquaretriangle
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by SoundDevastation)
I think its a complete shame that alternative/rebellious fashion is considered immature and something everyone 'grows out of'. ive grown in to it..
i dont really like the term 'grown out of' because it makes it sound like i was just following some trend when really i was the only one out of my friendship group doing that, i changed because its incredibly sweaty wearing all black lol and i just.. dont know, growing out of it all happened over the course of about 2 years so it wasnt really a concious overnight decision.

there are still things like the music from that scene that i enjoy, but ive combined it with other genres etc, so maybe ive grown into and become more 'myself'. i love seeing little alternative kids on the street too now. im so glad i had that freedom to experiment with hair colour etc when i was young.

i think most girls grow up very fast now and everyone wants to look like a young lady with handbags and manicures. whilst theres nothing wrong with that theres only a set period of time when green hair and odd clothes can be written off by the expression 'oh shes only young'. theres the rest of your life left for maturity.

soz, life story.
SoundDevastation
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by circlesquaretriangle)
i dont really like the term 'grown out of' because it makes it sound like i was just following some trend when really i was the only one out of my friendship group doing that, i changed because its incredibly sweaty wearing all black lol and i just.. dont know, growing out of it all happened over the course of about 2 years so it wasnt really a concious overnight decision.

there are still things like the music from that scene that i enjoy, but ive combined it with other genres etc, so maybe ive grown into and become more 'myself'. i love seeing little alternative kids on the street too now. im so glad i had that freedom to experiment with hair colour etc when i was young.

i think most girls grow up very fast now and everyone wants to look like a young lady with handbags and manicures. whilst theres nothing wrong with that theres only a set period of time when green hair and odd clothes can be written off by the expression 'oh shes only young'. theres the rest of your life left for maturity.

soz, life story.
Thats true, i wasnt implying at all that you were a just following an alternative trend. I was the only one in my entire school who was into punk and metal, but dressed pretty normal, though now im 21 i guess the alternative lifestyle that started then has really become part of who I am.. I have piercings which verge on unemployable, dress i guess along the lines of crust/anarcho-punk and involved with anarchism and activism aswell as the music industry.... I just hope that the new generation of young people dont all end up normal :p:
marcusmerehay
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
about 4 years ago, i was obsessed with dance music.
then i found Guitar Hero....
i still like my dance music, but top of my playlist (after Sigur Ros and Royksopp) is Metallica :p:
minimo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jenren22)
This thread is mainly aimed at girls really...Only 3 years ago i was a scruffy kid. I was obsessed with anything horses, and was constantly at the yard getting dirty and coming home with a dirt moustache. Since quitting horses though i have gradually changed into a fashion and beauty obsessed girly girl. I never used to get showers every day, i never used to file my nails, i never used to shave my legs!

It's sort of made me sad in a way, as i had a hobby and a passion, but i had to give it up due to financial reasons and the fact i was going to uni. I made the right decision. It's just sometimes i feel my family and friends are perhaps sad to see me change into who i am now, when i was completely the opposite when i was younger. Of course i take care of my skin and health etc much more than i did then, i used to use foundation two shades too dark and didn't know the meaning of cleansing and moisturising. I never had one pair of heels, now i can walk in 5 inch heels no problem and i own over 10 pairs. I never owned a skirt, now i have a wardrobe full! I never used to have boyfriends, now i have one long term. Everything is literally transformed, and i have to say, i do feel better and much much sexier now, although it's overwhelming how much i've changed in a short time.

Does anyone else feel they've changed a substantial amount in the last few years in that department? Are you more fashionable now? Do you feel prettier now more than ever? Do you feel like the change is a good change?

This sounds like the story of what happened to me over the last three years. I do miss scruff days but meh, I like trying to make myself look as good as I can. I mean I study as much as I can to do well academically so I just apply the same rationale to everything else. I wish I had before and after pics, but I've deletd all the pics because of the bad memories associated with them.
screenager2004
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Congratulations on internalising your gender role!

Change is constant and transcient. You don't grow into a "fixed" role, it's a continual process. As such, what you love about yourself now you might hate when you've grown into a different role, so I don't really stop and say "I like myself now" - It's naive. And there's always some way to improve yourself.
History Lost in Physics
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jenren22)

Personally i'd call it a change for the worse - sorry, I prefer girls who are a bit more practical in life
mollymustard
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I used to be a 'crazy' dresser. When I mean crazy, I mean really really crazy as well.
When I was about 15, I used to go out wearing lots of layers of clothing at once, in clashing colours.
A typical outfit for me used to consist of Converse High Tops, long cropped trousers, a skirt, three or four layered vests with a clashing cardi. Possible a t-shirt with a strange caption. Earrings that were made of some form of plastic, makeup in a bright colour, patterns drawn in eye liner all round my eyes.
I looked like some horrible form of Luna Lovegood.
I dress much more classically now, and I don't think I've compromised myself too much.
If anything, I don't think I will look on my current clothing and be wowed by it but I won't be cringing in embarrasment either and thats a change for the better!
Mousickle
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I guess I have changed the way I dress a bit. I used to be overly goth and black black black all the time but I've not really changed what I like or do that much.

I supoose I dress a bit more normal . But I still loves playing computer games and sci fi and think in general I get along better with those on the "alternative" kind of scence than the "trendy" or fashionble kind of people.

So I have only changed in so much as I have got a bit more wise and realised you dont have to wear only one style all the time. Before I would never have gone in a trendy type club. Now I could go to most kinds of club wether it be goth/indie/trendy or whatever, and fit in well enough.
Tufts
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by La Trampa)
this is more general discussion or H&R than F&B folks.
I think it is in the correct forum. It's a heart-felt post that fashion peeps would identify with. It is about a person's changing style.
Sprout_hair
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think you should always embrace change with no regret..
After all.. its all growing up!
I used to be a really boyish girl.. id prefer action men to barbies anyday
My mum used to take me to boy's hairdressers and people would ask..
Saw some primary school friends a while back and they couldn't recognise me at all..

Kinda strange im writing this now.. but im glad of the changes i went through..
As long as your happy and not affecting people around you, you can never change too much in my opinion!
Tufts
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by History Lost in Physics)
Personally i'd call it a change for the worse - sorry, I prefer girls who are a bit more practical in life
Got a picture of yourself Brad Pitt?
sophietrophy
Report 10 years ago
..i understand what you are feeling - although in a bit of a different way. I had a very dominating mother when i lived at home who dictated the way i dressed mostly - what i did - you get the picture...since coming to uni I have changed massively - what i wear - what i do - i look back and think OMG :eek:

..i dont think its a bad thing - its just progress - in your case you dont do so much with horses now and you miss it, but the skill you had to do that dont go, you still have them and can go back....so its just a progression through different phases of life

Dont worry is my take on it :p:
Tufts
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by sophietrophy)
..i understand what you are feeling - although in a bit of a different way. I had a very dominating mother when i lived at home who dictated the way i dressed mostly - what i did - you get the picture...since coming to uni I have changed massively - what i wear - what i do - i look back and think OMG :eek:
;console; What did she make you wear?
jenren22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Thanks for the replies . I spent hours this morning just pampering, shaving my legs etc. Sometimes i just sit there and think 'why the hell am i doing all this?', but then again, i feel alot better for it. My mum said i was turning into a Wag once! I was offended .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (441)
37.89%
No - but I will (88)
7.56%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.87%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (555)
47.68%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise