What too eat Watch

anna_spanner89
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Ive started doing night shifts, and my diet is so messed up, i've put on weight, feel sluggish and just my skin feels awful

ive pretty much been eating sugary foods too keep me awake and energised

for example today i had crunchy nut at 2am, cheese and onion sandwich, turkish delight and porridge at 6am and then a chocolate bar at 10am

Got home, had a tuna salad..cake, slept...then had a spag bol

i feel like ****, i get up and feel sick, and the canteen at work doesn't provide proper food, eg fruit, bread etc

Its affecting me emotionally and physically..

PLEASE give me some advice of what is ok to eat during the day, provides energy etc
lolilady---O
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Fruit, nuts (not salted), seeds. Also water gives a lot of energy.

I know it's not healthy but I don't care Diet Pepsi has a lot of caffein and is soo tasty so that = energy
PoisonDonna
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
This should maybe be in Fitness Anna and you might get some better responses. BUT, I think carbs is the way to go because they slowly release energy. Have sugar from fruit and stuff but try to back off on refined sugar. Maybe replace the crunchy nut with muesli or porridge? Make food to take with you so you can not eat the canteen crap. Take sandwiches, fruit, salads, finger food snacks like carrot sticks etc. If you prepare and plan what you're gonna eat you should avod the sugar trap and eat a bit better
kayzy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
wow that's a lot of food

umm can't give advice really, i'm rubbish with eating habits

maybe try to plan what you are going to eat and take some decent food with you to work? my attempt at helping is poor...sorry
artorscience?
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You can't just eat during the day and night and feel ok. You have to change your daily routine so that when you get up you have something light a la breakfast. Then a few hours later you have a meal resembling lunch, and a few hours before you sleep you have something large/filling/nutritious. Your whole day has to have been rotated so that it revolves around a new sleep/wake pattern.

Don't eat canteen food, bring your lunch with you (or at least part of it). If you want to stay awake caffine is less destructive (in small doses than sugar).
blahbloo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yum, turkish delight. :p:

Just prepare your sandwiches ahead in time so you can eat it during shift. Cook some starchy meals that you can put in a box to eat during the shift. Could also bulk buy your fruits/veg so you can put it in the fridge and take it with you to work.
red_Rose
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ok well my nightshifts used to be 10pm till 7am, so i'll give you a brief run down.

7am - finish work, go home and maybe have a slice of toast + drink before bed
4pm - wake up, have toast or cereal like morning
9pm - have a snack before work, something like a sausage roll or cheese + crackers
1am - (break time) This is where id eat my "main meal" of the day so to speak. I used to make pasta + topping (baked beans usually) or baked potato during the day and just re heat in the microwave at work.
4am - (break time) - have a yoghurt or muiller light type thing.

I'd sometimes eat a chocolate bar or a bag of crisps with my break. Cereal bars are also ok providing you choose the right ones. I think the key is to prepare food to take in, such as a salad (lettuce, sweetcorn, peppers and onions), or pasta, or baked potato, or even a shepherds pie to take to work to re heat as its much better than the rubbish in the canteen
hannah_dru
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't do night shifts but I do do afternoon to evening shifts and find that if I haven't prepared anything then I go out and buy junk. Banana's are good for energy and tuna is brainfood. I make a lot of tuna salads and take a flask of green tea with me for the energy.
anna_spanner89
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by red_Rose)
Ok well my nightshifts used to be 10pm till 7am, so i'll give you a brief run down.

7am - finish work, go home and maybe have a slice of toast + drink before bed
4pm - wake up, have toast or cereal like morning
9pm - have a snack before work, something like a sausage roll or cheese + crackers
1am - (break time) This is where id eat my "main meal" of the day so to speak. I used to make pasta + topping (baked beans usually) or baked potato during the day and just re heat in the microwave at work.
4am - (break time) - have a yoghurt or muiller light type thing.

I'd sometimes eat a chocolate bar or a bag of crisps with my break. Cereal bars are also ok providing you choose the right ones. I think the key is to prepare food to take in, such as a salad (lettuce, sweetcorn, peppers and onions), or pasta, or baked potato, or even a shepherds pie to take to work to re heat as its much better than the rubbish in the canteen

how do you cope?? I have no social life, cant get anything done cause im sleeping so much, im moody all the time...have the runs, i hate it
nearlyheadlessian
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by hannah_dru)
I don't do night shifts but I do do afternoon to evening shifts and find that if I haven't prepared anything then I go out and buy junk.
I think everybody in the workplace does that though :P

OP; you can't suddenly change your entire routine and keep eating as normal. You have to put a lot of effort into changing your lifestyle. And as you're only in the early stages of your night shifts you're likely as not still in 'culture shock'. It can often take between 4-6 weeks to become more or less accustomed to night working (longer for some!).

EDIT:
(Original post by anner_spanner89)
how do you cope?? I have no social life, cant get anything done cause im sleeping so much, im moody all the time...have the runs, i hate it
In fairness you're sat on an internet forum right now. If it really bothers you go out for a walk and get some fresh air. Sitting at the computer doesn't do any of us any good.
StrangerthanEleven
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by anna_spanner89)
You should really ask yourself how badly you need this job if its making you feel like this? I feel really bad for you because I know how awful night shift can be, it can really affect your whole life. Hope you feel better soon
hannah_dru
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by nearlyheadlessian)
I think everybody in the workplace does that though :P
Yeah they do. They're less concious about their weight than I am though.
red_Rose
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by anna_spanner89)
I never had stomach problems, although some people have. I think the key is to get yourself into a pattern of when to sleep, when to get up, when to eat. You should get yourself into a pattern after around 3 weeks.

Oh and i wouldnt get too much sleep, try and aim for around 8 hours. I found that on my last nightshift i'd stay up all the next day and get to bed about 8pm to adjust my body back into day time mode.

As for the social life i still used to see my friends of a night time when i was off, see a few through the day or even go out and then to work afterwards you just adjust.
Altruism And Me
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just popping in to big up Muller Light yoghurts. They're about 100 calories each and they've got like 30% of your RDA of calcium. They've got mega sugar in though, so you can't really eat more than two, but they're so filling. I used to take them to college to eat at break and I was never hungry in lessons.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (146)
38.42%
No - but I will (21)
5.53%
No - I don't want to (28)
7.37%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (185)
48.68%

Watched Threads