Tax and being a student. Watch

naz707
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Ok currently work as a steward and filled out the form for student taxation two months prior to me working. However, my first payslip saw me pay the Basic Rate of income tax, since then its changed to NT rate, meaning I don't pay it anymore. So how do I claim this tax back, considering that I do not intned leaving my job soon? Who do I claim from my employer or inland revenue?
Orthala
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Inland Revenue. You most probably won't be able to get it back until April when P60s go out. Everyone is taxed when earning over personal allowance, student or not. Students do not get tax exemptions.
warblade
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Everything you earn over your personal allowance (which is basically your tax code, without the letter plus a 0 on the right) you'll pay tax. When one says students don't pay tax is because students don't work more than 16 hours a week, normally. And that with the minimum wage wouldn't make more than 5k over the financial year.

To claim the tax back you can let your employer know and I think they will be able to charge you less tax or you have to wait for 2009 April to claim your tax back (basically send your P60 to your tax office and your cheque will be with you a couple of weeks later).

Hope it helps mate.
Titch89
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by warblade)
When one says students don't pay tax is because students don't work more than 16 hours a week, normally.
Amount of hours worked is irrelevant.

Also, you can't claim back any national insurance. (NI)
warblade
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Titch89)
Amount of hours worked is irrelevant.

Also, you can't claim back any national insurance. (NI)
You didn't understand my point I was trying to explain why it's often said that students don't pay Tax which is mainly because they get minimum wage and don't work more than 16 hours a week. Of course you can work 40 for 2 weeks only in one year and therefore don't pay any tax I was just trying to make it as an example.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (234)
39.39%
No - but I will (40)
6.73%
No - I don't want to (43)
7.24%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (277)
46.63%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed