Poll: General Election (Votes Revealed on 4/11/19)
The results of this poll are hidden until the poll closes.
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by DiddyDecAlt)
By what metric are they the 8th largest party?
national vote share.

By membership they are 6th as of july 2019.. although how much of that could be attributed to hang-over members who won't renew next time, now Farage has a new party is unknown.

The only metric they are lower than 8th, is MPs - which is more a reflection of our policial system, then them as a party.
Suchomimus
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by fallen_acorns)
UKIP have not disbanded. They have a new leader, and nationally are still likely to be the 8th largest party in the UK.

For a party that has 'disbanded' its amazing that they managed to achieve more votes than three parties you did include: DUP, Plaid and Sinn Fein, in all recent elections.

Its actually pretty easy to predict who is going to run in an election - you just take those who ran last time and intend to do it again, and add them to those who have declared they will run for the first time. That will give you the best possible guess at who will run.

It doesn't help - your either deliberately not including two parties you disagree with, or to stubborn to admit that you didn't know what you were doing when you made the thread/poll. I'm inclined to think its the later, given that you also didn't include the obvious 'other' category.

no, its the case in current general election polling. Google 'UK polling data' if you want to find out which parties should be included.

In the EU elections, they were actually the most popular par
I thought the 'other' category too wide to include, as it coves both left and right wing parties and independants.

It is unknown wether the Brexit Party will run in the instance of a general election e.g. If Brexit has already happened by that point, Brexit Party will have no further use.
Suchomimus
Rep:
?
UKIP have not disbanded. They have a new leader, and nationally are still likely to be the 8th largest party in the UK.

For a party that has 'disbanded' its amazing that they managed to achieve more votes than three parties you did include: DUP, Plaid and Sinn Fein, in all recent elections.

Its actually pretty easy to predict who is going to run in an election - you just take those who ran last time and intend to do it again, and add them to those who have declared they will run for the first time. That will give you the best possible guess at who will run.

It doesn't help - your either deliberately not including two parties you disagree with, or to stubborn to admit that you didn't know what you were doing when you made the thread/poll. I'm inclined to think its the later, given that you also didn't include the obvious 'other' category.

no, its the case in current general election polling. Google 'UK polling data' if you want to find out which parties should be included.

In the EU elections, they were actually the most popular par
https://www.parliament.uk/mps-lords-...f-the-parties/
Suchomimus
Rep:
?
(Original post by DiddyDecAlt)
By what metric are they the 8th largest party?
A wild and unfounded metric that fallen_acorns has come up with to back up her ridiculous right-wing ideologies.
Suchomimus
Rep:
?
national vote share.

By membership they are 6th as of july 2019.. although how much of that could be attributed to hang-over members who won't renew next time, now Farage has a new party is unknown.

The only metric they are lower than 8th, is MPs - which is more a reflection of our policial system, then them as a party.
Proof that UKIP's vote share is definitely NOT 8th in the country (it was in 2015, but not any more):
https://researchbriefings.parliament...mmary/CBP-7529

The amount of members a party has does not justify the amount of votes it gets.

MPs are the people that get a say in parliment, so this is quite a big part of UK politics.
Nalk1573
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Honestly I would vote for the BNP.

Not because I support them, just to make a mockery of the election
Suchomimus
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nalk1573)
Honestly I would vote for the BNP.

Not because I support them, just to make a mockery of the election
:beard:
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Lib Dem’s and the Tories are now arguing over the three days since they both have bills. 9th vs 12th.

Though it’s all mute if Lab abstains tomorrow, the bill would pass.
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Suchomimus)
I thought the 'other' category too wide to include, as it coves both left and right wing parties and independants.

It is unknown wether the Brexit Party will run in the instance of a general election e.g. If Brexit has already happened by that point, Brexit Party will have no further use.
They have declared they will run - so for now its best to presume they will. In the event of Boris' deal being passed, they would likely still run, as they have already said they want to hold him accountable to a 'true brexit'.

They are not some hypothetical party either, they currently have the largest number of MEPs of all the parties.
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
A wild and unfounded metric that fallen_acorns has come up with to back up her ridiculous right-wing ideologies.
Considering I've never voted UKIP or the Brexit party.. I backed Remain in the election, and would likely vote Labour in the next, if there were a change of leadership+brexit policy.. trying to say that the reason I am critising your poll is because of my own politics, is wrong. The reason I am critising your poll is because its stupid and badly thought out, and instead of admitting it and changing it, your digging your heals in and being stubborn.
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Proof that UKIP's vote share is definitely NOT 8th in the country (it was in 2015, but not any more):
https://researchbriefings.parliament...mmary/CBP-7529

The amount of members a party has does not justify the amount of votes it gets.

MPs are the people that get a say in parliment, so this is quite a big part of UK politics.
Again - your just wrong, as you have been many times. In 2015 UKIP seccured the 3rd highest total of votes. Meaning by voters, they were the 3rd highest party.

Lets look at some actual stats:
Elections (EU and General) over the past 5 years:
2014(EU) - 1st largest
2015(GE) - 3rd largest
2017(GE) - 5th largest party
2019(EU) - 8th largest party

Number of party members - 6th largest

Obviously MPs are important, they are the success of a party, but they are not a measure of its size. The size of a party is measured by the number of people in it, and that it represents. That is best measured by a combination of its members and voter-base. Just as if you had a house-party, the size of your party is best measured by the amount of people that come. UKIP by all accounts are a very large party, but one on the decline. They are though the party that has most been hurt by the FPTP electoral system, as their support is spread across the country rather than concentrated in pockets as others are.
lewis6969
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
conservatives
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
According to BritainElects both UKIP and Change are now polling at 0%.
Suchomimus
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
They have declared they will run - so for now its best to presume they will. In the event of Boris' deal being passed, they would likely still run, as they have already said they want to hold him accountable to a 'true brexit'.

They are not some hypothetical party either, they currently have the largest number of MEPs of all the parties.
Considering I've never voted UKIP or the Brexit party.. I backed Remain in the election, and would likely vote Labour in the next, if there were a change of leadership+brexit policy.. trying to say that the reason I am critising your poll is because of my own politics, is wrong. The reason I am critising your poll is because its stupid and badly thought out, and instead of admitting it and changing it, your digging your heals in and being stubborn.
Again - your just wrong, as you have been many times. In 2015 UKIP seccured the 3rd highest total of votes. Meaning by voters, they were the 3rd highest party.

Lets look at some actual stats:
Elections (EU and General) over the past 5 years:
2014(EU) - 1st largest
2015(GE) - 3rd largest
2017(GE) - 5th largest party
2019(EU) - 8th largest party

Number of party members - 6th largest

Obviously MPs are important, they are the success of a party, but they are not a measure of its size. The size of a party is measured by the number of people in it, and that it represents. That is best measured by a combination of its members and voter-base. Just as if you had a house-party, the size of your party is best measured by the amount of people that come. UKIP by all accounts are a very large party, but one on the decline. They are though the party that has most been hurt by the FPTP electoral system, as their support is spread across the country rather than concentrated in pockets as others are.
I respect your ideas and I will no longer continue to criticise them, as I feel we are just going around in circles.
Suchomimus
Rep:
?
This poll has sparked WW3. :angry:
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Breaking News - Labour have capitulated and will vote for a general election on December 12th.
Suchomimus
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rakas21)
Breaking News - Labour have capitulated and will vote for a general election on December 12th.
Wait wat? :beard:
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Wait wat? :beard:
Yup. Corbyn has confirmed.

In reality the Tories, Libs and SNP had apparently agreed to the 11th this morning so this is just Labour trying not to look like they were scared of it.
Suchomimus
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rakas21)
Yup. Corbyn has confirmed.

In reality the Tories, Libs and SNP had apparently agreed to the 11th this morning so this is just Labour trying not to look like they were scared of it.
What about the other parties? Have they made any kind of decicion?
Last edited by Suchomimus; 2 weeks ago
Suchomimus
Rep:
?
Why on earth did I decide to create this poll?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

what's your favourite season?

Summer (65)
32.34%
Spring (37)
18.41%
Autumn/Fall (50)
24.88%
Winter (38)
18.91%
I love them all equally (11)
5.47%