Reading during Reading Week? Watch

Kingston University
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
It's Reading Week next week for Kingston Uni students, but a lot of universities have had or will have their Reading Week quite soon!

Do you guys actually do uni work during that week? Or is it just catching up on sleep or going on holiday?

Comment under this thread what you use your Reading Week for.

- KU rep and final year law student
Wooord
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Is this the same as “career booster week” ?
super_kawaii
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I had class and midterm exams during reading weeks!
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Kingston University)
It's Reading Week next week for Kingston Uni students, but a lot of universities have had or will have their Reading Week quite soon!

Do you guys actually do uni work during that week? Or is it just catching up on sleep or going on holiday?

Comment under this thread what you use your Reading Week for.

During my undergrad, I went home and spent most of the week avoiding uni work (I don't advocate for this!).

During my master's, I didn't have a reading week; I had modules across two schools which took their reading weeks at different times, so I had no weeks with zero lectures.
Kingston University
Rep:
?
(Original post by Wooord)
Is this the same as “career booster week” ?
Hiya

I don't think so - well at least at Kingston it isn't. This week is mainly to allow students to catch up on work which happened during the first half of the term and prepare for the second half. Many see that week as being insufficient, but I will say that it makes a difference. not having lectures for one week! :woo:

Kingston University
Rep:
?
(Original post by super_kawaii)
I had class and midterm exams during reading weeks!
Oh wow !

To be fair though, I may as well have them this week! Being a final year student means I'm in the library at set times most of this week! :boring:

OR321
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I for one actually am going to make use of this week 😂. I’ve got a lotttt of chapters to read from different books. I finished my first one yesterday though 🤞
Kingston University
Rep:
?
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
During my undergrad, I went home and spent most of the week avoiding uni work (I don't advocate for this!).

During my master's, I didn't have a reading week; I had modules across two schools which took their reading weeks at different times, so I had no weeks with zero lectures.
I think that some students, especially first years who have been away from their family for the first time need that first Reading Week at home. Maybe not the entire week because they may need to get some assignments done, but the first few days won't hurt.

One of my friends told me in first year that they couldn't wait for Reading Week, just so she and her family could've a sit down dinner. I'd say it's a mental health break for many!

And wow - your masters sounded intense ! Hope it all went well !

Blackstarr
Report 2 weeks ago
I am a first year student at Kingston studying children’s nursing. I will probably go home to visit my family since I live on campus
MidgetFever
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Studying Law at Uni of Sheff, we don't get a reading week. Think yourself lucky! :lol:
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Most universities don't have a reading week - and those that do won't usually have it for all courses.
Kingston University
Rep:
?
(Original post by OR321)
I for one actually am going to make use of this week 😂. I’ve got a lotttt of chapters to read from different books. I finished my first one yesterday though 🤞
I feel this 10000%! I've got reading, essay planning and so much writing to do!

Hope your week is productive ! :thumbsup:

-KU rep and final year law student
Kingston University
Rep:
?
(Original post by Blackstarr)
I am a first year student at Kingston studying children’s nursing. I will probably go home to visit my family since I live on campus
Sounds fun! Enjoy the time with your family

Kingston University
Rep:
?
(Original post by MidgetFever)
Studying Law at Uni of Sheff, we don't get a reading week. Think yourself lucky! :lol:
Definitely counting my blessings :rofl2:

Although you guys may not have a Reading Week, use a full weekend every now and again to do nothing so you can recharge yourself. This law degree life is tough and we need to be tougher!

All the best with your year !

gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I used it for reading when I was an undergrad

this one I'm doing some marking then ****ing off to a metal festival
super_kawaii
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Kingston University)
Oh wow !

To be fair though, I may as well have them this week! Being a final year student means I'm in the library at set times most of this week! :boring:

Had exams and class every single year of uni. Never had an actual reading week, despite being a languages student
Anonymous #1
Report 5 days ago
Will rest as i commute to uni and am getting over the flu. I actually need to write a dissertation proposal, including the reading and read a couple chapters quickly. I say quickly as time is going so quickly
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bishop Grosseteste University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 15 Nov '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (113)
64.57%
No (62)
35.43%

Watched Threads