Your weirdest encounters whilst on holiday... Watch

Music Is My Boyfriend
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Tonight in work we were talking about how we've come across some pure crazy people on holiday, and funny encounters we've had abroad.

Thought it would be fun to share stories

When I went to Portugal 3 years ago, me and my family went up a monutain to this weird old chapel (Dad's idea), it was in the middle of nowhere.
Sitting on the hill above the path to the chapel was a srange man in hippy gear with really long hair and a guitar. He had laid a towel on the ground with some coins and a piece of string arranged on it (like voodoo or something )
My bro was only small and just walked over the towel unaware.
On leaving the chapel, the man now was standing by the towel watching us come down the road. On seeing my little brother coming towards him he began hacking really loudly and eventually spat the largest flob I've ever seen right on my brother's wrist.

It was absolutely revolting, my dad was about to say something, then realised the man was obvoiusly REALLY odd, so we legged it so fast!

Again in Portugal I went to a gypsy market for the day and witnessed a nun attacking a thief with a crowbar

Anyone else...?
mollymustard
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I remember being on a tram in the Czech Republic, and a man with no legs and one arm decided to do an awful rendition of 'Silent Night' on the Harmonica for the entire 50 minute journey. - This was in January.
When we got to his stop (the end of the line) he rolled himself to the tram steps and sort of flung himself off onto the pavement.
Bear_Grylls
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
In Egypt we were staying in an apartment a few floors up, and every morning you get a fruit and veg seller walking by selling stuff, if you want to buy somthing you throw a basket down with a letter saying what he wants, then he puts it in and collect the money, ihowever i thought it would be amusing to do this but without any note saying what i want, i did this pactically every morning, and everyday he would walk to it and started shouting a load of stuff in arabic, sometimes he would still put stuff in it though, anyway day before im leaving he comes up to the door and asks for me, and gives me a massive kiss on my hand lol, saying how nice i have been and hows hes going to miss me.

i found this hilarious at the time though, i was around 9 though
8EnglishRoses
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
A man in Bulgaria kicked me because I wouldn't go into his restuarant last year I wasn't rude to him or anything, I just said no thank you and he came up behind me and kicked me on the back of the leg.
SpunkyMonkeys
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Weirdest encounters.

Number 1: First encounter with a French roadside toilet.
Number 2: Second encounter with a French roadside toilet.
Number 3: At the age of 18 being detained by British border control after coming back from holiday in Gran Canaria because apparantly I look like an internationally wanted fraudster. Asked me loads of weird questions about who I really was untill they checked out my passport :p:
Music Is My Boyfriend
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by Bear_Grylls)
In Egypt we were staying in an apartment a few floors up, and every morning you get a fruit and veg seller walking by selling stuff, if you want to buy somthing you throw a basket down with a letter saying what he wants, then he puts it in and collect the money, ihowever i thought it would be amusing to do this but without any note saying what i want, i did this pactically every morning, and everyday he would walk to it and started shouting a load of stuff in arabic, sometimes he would still put stuff in it though, anyway day before im leaving he comes up to the door and asks for me, and gives me a massive kiss on my hand lol, saying how nice i have been and hows hes going to miss me.

i found this hilarious at the time though, i was around 9 though
That's genius

Again in Portugal (never go there lol), we were on a beach and me, my Dad, bro and sis hired a pedalo. We pedalled round to the next beach cove which was deserted. My younger sister trying to be clever, leapt into the sea and swam to the shore and then claimed the beach as hers whilst pulling stupid faces at us in the pedalo. All of a sudden unbeknownst to my sister, a naked man came out of a cave and was swaggering down the beach towards her at quite a pace. We were all laughing in the pedalo, and when she turned around to see why was HORRIFIED and swam for her life towards us.
As we pedalled away, my sister safely on board, my little brother shouted, 'put some clothes on' to which the man grasped his willy in his hands and began wiggling it at us

On the same holiday a man selling the tickets to gain access to a museum DRIBBLED on my Dad's hand and onto his shoe!
ViolatedTreason
  • CV Helper
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
went half-way round the world, and found someone who lives about 5 minutes from home...

recognised the distinctive Cannock accent.. and just got talking to them and their son.. spent most of my holiday with him.

never spoke to him afterwards lol

and my dad was walking along the beach with my bro and sis, to get to a nice little cove further down the shore.

whilst walking, he didnt notice the red flags up, signalling a nudist beach. took him time to realise where he was, but sussed out he wasnt on a normal beach, when people (might i add, old people, hairy people and general munters) were all naked on the beach, with one guy basically pointing out to sea with his manhood. he huddled my bro and sis in close and started walking very quickly away from the saggy breasted old ladies and "pointy" old men
AussieKat
Report 10 years ago
We were walking through markets in turkey and even though the guys are trying to shout over the crowd and sell us stuff, we ignore a lot of them. I got separated from my parents and just ignored the guys when one came up and said "will you marry me and take me home?"

I was like :O and just snapped back "You are NOT getting a british visa" and he ran back to his stall and started throwing baskets at me!! He chased me all around the market until I found my parents and hid behind my dad! It was crazy! x
maria0208
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by 8EnglishRoses)
A man in Bulgaria kicked me because I wouldn't go into his restuarant last year I wasn't rude to him or anything, I just said no thank you and he came up behind me and kicked me on the back of the leg.
He wasn't very nice then, Kirstin Some people eh??
Rhuairidh
Report 10 years ago
When I was on the way home from Canada this air line steward (or whatever name male trolley dolleys have) decided that he liked the look of me lol and so decided to bring me food from the first class part haha and kept ignoring others just to ask if i wanted tea i got really freaked out but my twin sister found it hilarious!!!
Krazof
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
LOL these are hilarious! One time we went to I think Majorca, and there was always a man on the beach shouting somet, selling fruit, but we just remember what he said as "allay tooty fruity *tongue rolling strange noise like tribal warriors* free banana". Not really a weird encounter though...
NW8_SW1_EC3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Was offered camels for my sister in Tunisa.
Frannnnn
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
sex toys in an icecream shop. - malia.
laced
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by NW8_SW1_EC3)
Was offered camels for my sister in Tunisa.
Similar thing! Turkey, was offered a yacht and three camels for my hand in marriage. I was about thirteen at the time :rolleyes:

These are all hilarious, by the way!
NW8_SW1_EC3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by laced)
Similar thing! Turkey, was offered a yacht and three camels for my hand in marriage. I was about thirteen at the time :rolleyes:

These are all hilarious, by the way!
Not a bad deal
laced
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Haha yes, I was impressed! The 'rents didn't seem best pleased though :p:
glow stick
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
probably the turkish waiter that randomly grabbed my ass outside of a kebab restaurant thing; and i'm not even a girl, that was weird
Bear_Grylls
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Music Is My Boyfriend)
That's genius

Again in Portugal (never go there lol), we were on a beach and me, my Dad, bro and sis hired a pedalo. We pedalled round to the next beach cove which was deserted. My younger sister trying to be clever, leapt into the sea and swam to the shore and then claimed the beach as hers whilst pulling stupid faces at us in the pedalo. All of a sudden unbeknownst to my sister, a naked man came out of a cave and was swaggering down the beach towards her at quite a pace. We were all laughing in the pedalo, and when she turned around to see why was HORRIFIED and swam for her life towards us.
As we pedalled away, my sister safely on board, my little brother shouted, 'put some clothes on' to which the man grasped his willy in his hands and began wiggling it at us

On the same holiday a man selling the tickets to gain access to a museum DRIBBLED on my Dad's hand and onto his shoe!
hahah, sounds like a nutter

Not so much weird, but again in Egypt we were in the sea having fun, nice big waves n all, then suddenly theres a helicopter above head shouting louds of stuff in arabic and everyone starts getting out the pool, we just ignore it and continue swimming,one of my mates says he then feels somthing touch his leg thinking we had all turned gay, i look in the pool and it appears there jellyfish, so wwe just run out, turns out the announcement they made was warning people of jellyfish, o well. So much weird stuff happened when i went thrre, cant remember much tho, ive been to Italy around 8 times since, id reccomend that, seems a more sane place lol
dunnoaUSERname
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by glow stick)
probably the turkish waiter that randomly grabbed my ass outside of a kebab restaurant thing; and i'm not even a girl, that was weird

LOL
pandora7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i had a shirt on 'Enjoy Cocaine' or something like that when i was in barcelona last easter. well an english couple went nuts on me. i was like 'i speak-a no englisia' heh

when i was in phnom penh last year on a school trip me and my friends got a death threat from a cambodian boy :eek: . he was selling my friend some postcards, total rip off and my other friend was like 'no don't buy them here. we'll just go to the temples wher they sell 5 for $1. the boy was not happy so he said fine 5 for $1. as soon as my friend gave him the money he said '**** you' :eek: we were like excuse me? and he came up to my friend michael who has kept silent the whole time, comeplete innocent and said 'i'll kill you' :eek: :eek: :eek: we were like OH **** HE MIGHT JUST. so we left the place feeling a bit freaked out. that night we went to the same area to get dinner and we saw the kid again :eek: :eek: he was totally heckling at us so we made the manager of the restaurant we were in to chase him away. when we were done he was waiting for us outside the restaurant waiting to harrass us again. my friend was so close to beating the boy up, but we're like are you crazy, we're in a foreign country where they sell 'happy pizza' (marijuana on pizza)!! so we told the police guy nearby and then the kid left us alone

also while we were there there was a massive fight going on, some lady freaking out with a fish in her hand. we were in a restaurant on the second floor so we had the full view.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (535)
37.81%
No - but I will (111)
7.84%
No - I don't want to (96)
6.78%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (673)
47.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise