Knightrises10
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi. So I'm currently doing CIE A Level and have 3 subjects. Chemistry, Physics and Maths. I'm doing modular, ie AS exams in 2020 and remaining in 2021, since CIE still allows it.
So, I felt I should keep a fourth subject. I'm interested a lot in studying economics and I believe I can manage four subjects.
So, can I get some advice on how should I start my preparation. Also, I was thinking of keeping it privately, mainly because students in my school say that our Economics teacher is not so good.
So, please guide me on how should I prepare, regardless of your exam board. And how many past papers should be done and some guidance about the essays.
I will probably do privately, and may watch YouTube videos of any particular channel that you recommend. Is Econdal plus good?

I do believe I can keep 4 subjects and will work hard. So, please guide me through. Thanks.
wazzupitsme
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Preparation for economics at AS level can include but is not limited to; revising through the textbook, keeping the syllabus handy and cross checking as you complete each topic and doing a minimum of the last 6 years worth of past papers for the structured questions(paper 2) and at least up to 10 years for the MCQ (paper 1).

Apart from this, one major issue with studying economics individually is that the recommended textbook by CIE does not contain enough information for the really important topics. So you might have to take up a lot of reference books to cover up major topics.

Econdal plus is great for understanding the economic diagrams but he doesn't offer much in terms of solid explanation on topics.

Hope this was helpful!!
Knightrises10
Rep:
?
(Original post by wazzupitsme)
Preparation for economics at AS level can include but is not limited to; revising through the textbook, keeping the syllabus handy and cross checking as you complete each topic and doing a minimum of the last 6 years worth of past papers for the structured questions(paper 2) and at least up to 10 years for the MCQ (paper 1).

Apart from this, one major issue with studying economics individually is that the recommended textbook by CIE does not contain enough information for the really important topics. So you might have to take up a lot of reference books to cover up major topics.

Econdal plus is great for understanding the economic diagrams but he doesn't offer much in terms of solid explanation on topics.

Hope this was helpful!!
Thanks. How about I make my own notes, since you said that the book is not good enough?
wazzupitsme
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Knightrises10)
Thanks. How about I make my own notes, since you said that the book is not good enough?
You can always do that. Take up research work from online and make them your notes. If you've got a local library, it works better so that you're certain that the information is reliable and accurate-it isn't worth purchasing books for one subject reference. But you'll have a lot of reading to do.

Also, if you plan to take up economics in your A-Levels as well, privately studying it would be VERY difficult because it is extremely different from the AS portion. You wouldn't be able to distinguish between microeconomics and macroeconomics by the least. I am currently struggling over it....:argh:
YEezzy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don't know If I should do Economics, how is it? Btw how do you find physics I find the first part of scalar and vector, basically motion kind of boring, how about you. Like the simple stuff. I don't know
Knightrises10
Rep:
?
(Original post by YEezzy)
I don't know If I should do Economics, how is it? Btw how do you find physics I find the first part of scalar and vector, basically motion kind of boring, how about you. Like the simple stuff. I don't know
Can't say about economics. As for physics, it just needs practice. Do a lot of practice and then it will be easy.
Knightrises10
Rep:
?
(Original post by wazzupitsme)
You can always do that. Take up research work from online and make them your notes. If you've got a local library, it works better so that you're certain that the information is reliable and accurate-it isn't worth purchasing books for one subject reference. But you'll have a lot of reading to do.

Also, if you plan to take up economics in your A-Levels as well, privately studying it would be VERY difficult because it is extremely different from the AS portion. You wouldn't be able to distinguish between microeconomics and macroeconomics by the least. I am currently struggling over it....:argh:
Already planned to drop it after AS.
So how are the AS topics overall? Are they confusing too?
YEezzy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Can't say about economics. As for physics, it just needs practice. Do a lot of practice and then it will be easy.
Did you find any part of physics boring, or shall I just change my A level I don't know? Just started it. I mean I found chemistry more interesting. I don't know what A level to stay with
Knightrises10
Rep:
?
(Original post by YEezzy)
Did you find any part of physics boring, or shall I just change my A level I don't know? Just started it. I mean I found chemistry more interesting. I don't know what A level to stay with
Check at the requirements of universities and then decide. I personally find Physics to be more interesting than Chemistry. In fact, I am finding Chemistry to be most difficult
wazzupitsme
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Already planned to drop it after AS.
So how are the AS topics overall? Are they confusing too?
Not by the least. You can zoom through the microeconomic chapters-1,2,3 but you'll need to spend some time on macroeconomic chapters-4,5 mainly because it takes time to understand exchange rates and government intervention + government policies.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (56)
28.72%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (15)
7.69%
No I am happy with my choice (108)
55.38%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (16)
8.21%

Watched Threads