The Student Room Group

Will MSc certificate & transcript be identical to online/distance learning versions

I'm looking into doing an MSc in the area of Computer Science via online and distance learning pathways.

Examples being York University Computer Science with Cyber Security, Computer Science with Data Analytics, various ones from London universities, MSc Cyber Security at Staffordshire Univeristy etc.

Has anyone here ever completed an online MSc and did it state on the certificate or transcript that the student completed their degree via distance learning?

One of the sales people from York told me students enrolled on the MSc in Cyber Security will receive a certificate and transcript identical to the one received by full time on campus MSc Cyber Security students (apart from the time taken to study it of course). But that seems to good to be true given the entry requirements for the online version are significantly lower than the full time on campus version, plus the guy on the phone has been so pushy trying to get me enrolled on the course, it wouldn't surprise me if he said yes to that without actually knowing.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Original post by BillMurray
I'm looking into doing an MSc in the area of Computer Science via online and distance learning pathways.

Examples being York University Computer Science with Cyber Security, Computer Science with Data Analytics, various ones from London universities, MSc Cyber Security at Staffordshire Univeristy etc.

Has anyone here ever completed an online MSc and did it state on the certificate or transcript that the student completed their degree via distance learning?

One of the sales people from York told me students enrolled on the MSc in Cyber Security will receive a certificate and transcript identical to the one received by full time on campus MSc Cyber Security students (apart from the time taken to study it of course). But that seems to good to be true given the entry requirements for the online version are significantly lower than the full time on campus version, plus the guy on the phone has been so pushy trying to get me enrolled on the course, it wouldn't surprise me if he said yes to that without actually knowing.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Usually (although not always), courses delivered through distance learning/online will have that added to the course title, so in your case the certificate would say: MSc Computer Science (online) or MSc Computer Science (DL). The only way to find out for sure is to locate a previous graduate of the course and ask them.

Why is it a problem if it does state that you did it via distance learning?
Reply 2
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Usually (although not always), courses delivered through distance learning/online will have that added to the course title, so in your case the certificate would say: MSc Computer Science (online) or MSc Computer Science (DL). The only way to find out for sure is to locate a previous graduate of the course and ask them.

Why is it a problem if it does state that you did it via distance learning?

Thanks for your reply.

Basically, I'm concerned that academics and employers might see a degree taken online as a negative.
Hi @BillMurray
I will double check but I am pretty certain that 'Distance Learning' would only appear on our certificates if it was part of the course title.

If you are enrolled on this course - https://www.staffs.ac.uk/course/computer-science-cyber-security-msc - That is what would appear. The mode of study does not affect it. Also, lots of employers are very aware that distance learning is a necessary way to study for people's lifestyles (i.e. family/work commitments), so shouldn't really be concerned.

Here is a quick myth busting video we made on distance learning degrees: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKwlm4a8WLI&t=7s

Hope this helps, ^SK
Original post by Staffordshire University
Hi @BillMurray
I will double check but I am pretty certain that 'Distance Learning' would only appear on our certificates if it was part of the course title.

If you are enrolled on this course - https://www.staffs.ac.uk/course/computer-science-cyber-security-msc - That is what would appear. The mode of study does not affect it. Also, lots of employers are very aware that distance learning is a necessary way to study for people's lifestyles (i.e. family/work commitments), so shouldn't really be concerned.

Here is a quick myth busting video we made on distance learning degrees: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKwlm4a8WLI&t=7s

Hope this helps, ^SK

Hi @BillMurray
Our Enquiries Team confirm that 'Distance Learning' will not appear on your certificate, just your transcript of results.
Thanks ^SK
York’s won’t but the transcript will mention online as the mode of study

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending