Career in Law?... Watch

trefusis128
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hey all, Ive been enticed towards a career in either Politics or Law (Barrister, leading to Judiciary)

I need to choose my A levels by september the 4th, so I still have a mighty long time. Currently Im thinking;

Geography
Biology
Economics
English Lit
Politics

Will these be resonable to get me onto a Law course? and any general tips on those career choices will be appreciated.

Ofcourse, im still undecided so I want to keep my options open.

Thanks In Advance.
Garden_Gnome
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Those would be great choices, although are you sure you can cope with five AS'? Four is enough.

It's always best to try and keep things traditional and, for law, to have at least one solid arts A-level. One that allows you to develop analytical skills and such. You have that with English Lit which is very essay based and, to a lesser extent, geography.

Economics is quite solid and it's always good having a science for a bit of variety.

As for career tips just look at getting experience as soon as possible. Mini-pupilliages can wait until university.
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just a thought, but I have heard that universities like seeing History for Law applicants. Mind you, don't do it if you hate it or are really bad at it.
trefusis128
Rep:
?
(Original post by Origami Bullets)
Just a thought, but I have heard that universities like seeing History for Law applicants. Mind you, don't do it if you hate it or are really bad at it.
I agree with this totally, but as I didn't sit history at GCSE level im abit limited. I was relatively good at it in the early years but am not confident to take it forth.

Thanks
The_Goose
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
history would be really really useful. Alot of people who take A-level history didn't do GCSE, or took a sylabbus totally irrelevent to the a level course. Lots of people in my AS group doing russia, germany and britatiin between the wars had done medicine through time and the vienam war for GCSE so they still had no advantage.
trefusis128
Rep:
?
Im just really quite set on those subjects

I may be changing Biology for Maths (to back economics up) but I think thats as far as changing anything will go, ofcourse im not dead set on a career in law and Im very prone to a change of heart. But with those subjects, law isn't completely closed to me is it?
Garden_Gnome
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by trefusis128)
Im just really quite set on those subjects

I may be changing Biology for Maths (to back economics up) but I think thats as far as changing anything will go, ofcourse im not dead set on a career in law and Im very prone to a change of heart. But with those subjects, law isn't completely closed to me is it?
Law isn't closed at all, don't worry about it. Those are still decent subjects, especially English lit
Lord Hysteria
Badges: 16
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Origami Bullets)
You can do anything.
I did maths and sciences.
Zerforax
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Why would he need history if he already has Economics, Politics and Eng Lit which has more than enough essay writing and analysis in them..

Your subjects seem a pretty good job, but go with your strengths.. better to have more A's than anything tbh!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.66%
No - but I will (103)
7.73%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (637)
47.79%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed