IB relevant qualifications? What should I do? Watch

Belkin
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hi.
I've just left college after doing my AS levels and I am self-teaching my A2s. I do economics, maths, further maths, & accounting and I have an AS level in business. Well I will come August when I get my results. I now work for a big company in financial services where I have the option to study the IAQ amongst others such as SII qualifications etc. or AAT. However IAQ seems like the only reasonable one to fit in with time or maybe the AAT. I plan to go to uni next year and would love a job in investment banking. I aim to go to a top 5 uni for economics. Now my questions are:
1, Is it worth me doing any of those qualifications (aat/iaq)?
2, Will unis see it as a good/bad thing that I self-studied my A2s?
3, Will my work experience help me?

Thanks
NW8_SW1_EC3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
1. No
2. Possibly, not to a great extent but you can talk alot about it in interviews and how it proves your aptitude and learning skills etc..
3. Yes
My $0.02
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Out of interest why are you self teaching your A Levels? I don't think IB's/Uni's will look down on it but IMO your making your task of achieving top grades all the more difficult. The best bar none qualification for IB is CFA but you need to be a grad so that's out.
RJA
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Think of it this way, you will look so much better if you ace your A2 exams :p:
Mos Def
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
How the hell is AAT relevant to IB?
RJA
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's not, but it shows he has the initiative and willingness to put the effort in and do a professional qualification while he's in the sixth form.
Belkin
(Original post by Mos Def)
Why did you need to say that? Was a complete waste of time and not helpful at all.
Belkin
(Original post by RJA)
It's not, but it shows he has the initiative and willingness to put the effort in and do a professional qualification while he's in the sixth form.
Yes I agree but which would be better for me to do?
Mos Def
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Belkin)
Why did you need to say that? Was a complete waste of time and not helpful at all.
Well your thread title said 'IB relevant qualifications', so I thought I would voice my concerns over doing an ACCA precursor for IB, could've shown some gratification, bloody hell.
woody87
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Fair question to ask if how your going to do A2s, full time job and AAT? There is a lot of work in all three of those activities. If you have a natural aptitude for maths then you may be ok, but maybe overstretching yourself?
Belkin
Well your thread title said 'IB relevant qualifications', so I thought I would voice my concerns over doing an ACCA precursor for IB, could've shown some gratification, bloody hell.
You could have voiced your concerns in a slightly nicer way. Do you believe that the IAQ qould be worth doing then?
love2learn
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by My $0.02)
Out of interest why are you self teaching your A Levels? I don't think IB's/Uni's will look down on it but IMO your making your task of achieving top grades all the more difficult. The best bar none qualification for IB is CFA but you need to be a grad so that's out.
well technically you don't - you can start it in final year :p:

Some accountancy qualifications would be useful, but as far as I know you regularly have to sit exams for FSA so it wouldn't really be worth doing them now if you're going to go to University first.
love2learn
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
as a precursor to either ACA or ACCA I'd presume.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.74%
No - but I will (102)
7.67%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.84%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (635)
47.74%

Watched Threads