PHYSICS: BA or MPhys? Watch

sig.fig.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
May I be so bold as to solicit the advice of some of the veteran physicists in these here parts?

I've just finished Part A and I'm deep in 2:1 territory (66/67% kind of thing).
Now I've heard around my college that my tutors tend to only recommend the 4-year course for students with firsts.
Would there be a significant risk of me droppping down to a 2:2 if I chose the 4-year course? I mean, is it that much harder that this might happen?
(And I wouldn't be rowing for 25+ hrs a week like I have been in previous years....)

I appreciate that you know little about me, apart from the percentage I posted! Would just appreciate your views on the matter.

It's probably a little premature to be thinking about this.... anyway....

Congrats to all physicists who got their results today, anyway! (assuming you're happy with them....)
F1 fanatic
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well, 3 people dropped from a 2.1 or higher to a 2.2 judging by this years results, so it's really not likely to happen especially as you are already in a very good position. As long as you continue to work then it is really not that big a step at all, indeed I found the 4th year fairly relaxing by comparison, save for the last few weeks of absolute cramming. I really doubt you'd have a problem going in with 66/67%, indeed it's quite possible you could go up to a first.
sig.fig.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Ok, thanks for that.
And I'll take further courage from the first line of your sig!
The Strangest Quark
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Woo, this day is making me a happy physicist. I can have my 2:1 and eat it. Or something. Congratulations to you too, sig.fig
Hoofbeat
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I was on a much lower 2:1 than you at the end of my 2nd year (although I did average 68% in 3rd year) and have just literally obtained a 2:1 in the MPhys course, so you should be fine provided you don't stop working!

I've never heard of tutors only recommending those with 1sts going onto the MPhys course - the official line is that you need a 2:1 and I think that's perfectly reasonable.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 3 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
38.82%
No - but I will (46)
6.76%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.5%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (319)
46.91%

Watched Threads