The Student Room Group

ALDI Graduate Scheme Assessment Centre

I'm off to the Aldi assessment centre soon, and was just wondering if anyone had been along; and could give me a rough idea of what to expect?

I've tried to do some research, but I don't seem to be getting anywhere!!

Thanks for your help in advance!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
a three minute presentation on a topic of your choosing
verbal/numerical reasoning paper based
group exercise
they might ask if you have visited a store
q&a session

you realise they dont pay expenses right?
haven't had the Aldi one, but had the Lidl one, which is a very similar scheme

and they are very keen on moving you to different regions very often, and also you have to be prepared to work 60/65 hour weeks. These schemes are very hard work, but I suppose that reflects the starting salary, which is double the standard graduate starting salary.

again that was for Lidl, but i imagine Aldi is similar...so don't start saying what region you'd prefer to be based in (unless asked of course!) and try and sound as flexible as possible.
Reply 3
Aldi you apply to a regional office. Aldi didnt say anything about moving regions but yes, you will have higher hours than a banker for less dosh.

They gave the impression 60/65 was the norm and 75+ happened but not too regularly.

Then again 60/65 hours a week, week in week out is a lil tiring and 70+ will hurt.
Quady
Aldi you apply to a regional office. Aldi didnt say anything about moving regions but yes, you will have higher hours than a banker for less dosh.

They gave the impression 60/65 was the norm and 75+ happened but not too regularly.

Then again 60/65 hours a week, week in week out is a lil tiring and 70+ will hurt.

Lidl you applied to a regional office too, but it soon became clear that you'd be expected to move every year or so. The guy who interviewed us had worked in 6 regions in 8 years..with some moves being as far as Edinburgh to London! again Aldi may differ..but its very hard to move such a distance, settle in and then be moved to the other end of the country IMO. I didn't get the job, but i'd have had 2nd thoughts about it even if it was offered..the salary's fantastic, but you've got a life to lead as well.
Reply 5
Indeedy, I didn't get it either but its not like I lost sleep over it.
Quady
Indeedy, I didn't get it either but its not like I lost sleep over it.

On a picture Lidl showed during their interview slideshow presentation one of the other candidates asked why the boxes of tea in the staff room cupboard had receipts stuck all over them..and we were told they provide no tea, coffee, milk or anything to staff...and generally the impression was that you work very hard, and get your (admittedly awesome) pay and that was all Lidl were giving you! which will suit some but I'm not sure it was for me.
Reply 7
Yup doesn't suprise me. Thats why I mentioned the lack of expenses so if your traveling far or need to use a taxi think twice before attending.
Aldi didn't give a ppt just gave out a leaflet
Reply 8
Hey, I've been invited to the Assessment Centre in a few weeks and I know there is a presentation based on your walk through. I was wondering if anyone who has attended could give me an idea of what kind of things people generally talk about during the presentation to see if I'm on the right track!

Hi Kathroon

Did you attend the assessment centre? I have one next week and was wondering if you could maybe give some insight into the presentation topics for the store walk presentation?

Thanks!

Original post by kathroon
Hey, I've been invited to the Assessment Centre in a few weeks and I know there is a presentation based on your walk through. I was wondering if anyone who has attended could give me an idea of what kind of things people generally talk about during the presentation to see if I'm on the right track!

During our assessment, presentation topics were customer behaviour, store layout, product range, special buys and staff.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is so helpful, thank you!

Original post by kg00105
During our assessment, presentation topics were customer behaviour, store layout, product range, special buys and staff.

Posted from TSR Mobile
When did you have your assessment?

Original post by kg00105

Posted from TSR Mobile
This week :smile: Good luck!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you! I hope you get the result you want!

Original post by kg00105
This week :smile: Good luck!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kg00105

Posted from TSR Mobile

What kinds of things did people say for Customer Behaviour?
Have a think about the following. Which areas of the store have the most/least traffic, what are people buying (any general trends), demographics, how many people are looking at the Special Buy range (if any).

These sorts of things really. You could also predict future changes in consumer behaviour e.g the technological environment changing how people shop I.e online shopping. Make sure you are prepared to back this up with some facts/figures. Hope this helps and good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kg00105
Have a think about the following. Which areas of the store have the most/least traffic, what are people buying (any general trends), demographics, how many people are looking at the Special Buy range (if any).

These sorts of things really. You could also predict future changes in consumer behaviour e.g the technological environment changing how people shop I.e online shopping. Make sure you are prepared to back this up with some facts/figures. Hope this helps and good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, that is really helpful. Do you get a choice of which topic to speak about or is one allocated to you?

What does the group task involve? Do you present your findings individually first and then discuss as a group?
In our assessment centre, the assessor (there was only one) went around the group and allocated each person a topic. We then had 10 minutes of preparation time before finally presenting on our given topic. Make sure you bring your notes with you to make it much easier.

In terms of the Group Task, you have around 10 minutes to read through the information. In our case, the task was to recommend a fictitious character to manage a project at ALDI. You then come together as a group and collectively decide which is the best person to put forwards. Your assessor may chuck a few curve balls in also e.g. Adding a new candidate in the mix towards the end of the task.

You will then as a group present your findings to the assessor who is playing the role of a senior stakeholder in the business who will challenge you intensely (purposefully) so don't be offput by this. Your task may be completely different on the day but this was our task :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by Quady
a three minute presentation on a topic of your choosing
verbal/numerical reasoning paper based
group exercise
they might ask if you have visited a store
q&a session

you realise they dont pay expenses right?

I am rubbish at maths. Can you use a calculator?
And are the verbal/numerical reasoning one score?

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest