Can I do 5 subjects in S6?
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by thuva_29)
Can I do 5 subjects in S6?
Assuming your school can timetable it and doesn't have a weird policy against it, usually yes! What are you wanting to take?
thuva_29
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I'm currently in S5 and I'm doing Higher Maths, Higher Art, N5 Physics, N5 Graphics, N5 Wood work and N5 English Literature. I wanna do Advanced higher maths, Advanced higher Art, Higher Physics, Higher Graphics, and Higher English next year so that I can go straight into University after leaving school. Is that a good idea?
Kubsyy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I'm currently in S5 and I'm doing Higher Maths, Higher Art, N5 Physics, N5 Graphics, N5 Wood work and N5 English Literature. I wanna do Advanced higher maths, Advanced higher Art, Higher Physics, Higher Graphics, and Higher English next year so that I can go straight into University after leaving school. Is that a good idea?
Depends really. Sometimes when you take highers in next year you only have one chance so you would have work your ass of if you want to have a very good grade and usually unis doesn’t need you to do advanced highers so it’s totally up to you. This year (S5) I’m doing Higher English, Business, admin and potentially if I can then Esol so that’s 4 highers and I’m doing nat 5 Spanish and maths.
Labrador99
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
That would be a pretty big workload, and in my view you'd be better not doing one of the AHs and going with 4 subjects...Most uni courses don't need AHs at all. Do have a close look at entry requirements though, as some of them ask for 6 highers by the end of S6 (and they usually won't count the same subject twice if you do it at higher and AH as part of those requirements), though those ones do also tend to ask for 3/4 highers in S5 to be considered. The requirements can vary massively between universities though, and if you're eligible for widening participation, it varies further, so checking on each uni website is the best option to see what they're asking for.
thuva_29
Rep:
?
(Original post by Labrador99)
That would be a pretty big workload, and in my view you'd be better not doing one of the AHs and going with 4 subjects...Most uni courses don't need AHs at all. Do have a close look at entry requirements though, as some of them ask for 6 highers by the end of S6 (and they usually won't count the same subject twice if you do it at higher and AH as part of those requirements), though those ones do also tend to ask for 3/4 highers in S5 to be considered. The requirements can vary massively between universities though, and if you're eligible for widening participation, it varies further, so checking on each uni website is the best option to see what they're asking for.
That was so helpful, I'll consider it. Thank you for your time.
thuva_29
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kubsyy)
Depends really. Sometimes when you take highers in next year you only have one chance so you would have work your ass of if you want to have a very good grade and usually unis doesn’t need you to do advanced highers so it’s totally up to you. This year (S5) I’m doing Higher English, Business, admin and potentially if I can then Esol so that’s 4 highers and I’m doing nat 5 Spanish and maths.
I was also planning to do Higher Esol English. Is it gonna be helpful for Uni?
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You can do 2 AH's and 2 H's usually, that should be enough.
Kubsyy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I was also planning to do Higher Esol English. Is it gonna be helpful for Uni?
I was confused about that too but I’m sure that it does since it is a higher and someone from my school needs higher esol to go to uni and it won’t collqborate with english so you don’t have to drop english and do esol at the same time 🙂
Last edited by Kubsyy; 2 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Chester
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19
  • Kingston University London
    All faculties involved Undergraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19

Are you registered to vote?

18-20 years old (yes) (182)
52.91%
18-20 years old (no) (39)
11.34%
20-25 years old (yes) (57)
16.57%
20-25 years old (no) (7)
2.03%
25-30 years old (yes) (22)
6.4%