The Student Room Group

Question about automatic cars

I understand that the car creeps slightly forward if your foot is off the brake pedal and the gearstick is in 'Drive' even with the gas pedal not pressed. Does the car still creep forward if you're on an upward incline?
Original post by Kimbleboss
I understand that the car creeps slightly forward if your foot is off the brake pedal and the gearstick is in 'Drive' even with the gas pedal not pressed. Does the car still creep forward if you're on an upward incline?

We don't have a 'gas pedal'. We have an accelerator.

This is not America.
It depends how steep the hill is. And to a lesser extent the particular car.

Very steep hills would have the car rolling backwards.
Reply 3
It depends on the engine, the stall speed of the torque converter (or programming if DSG or similar dual clutch gearbox), and the incline.

My old diesel with a slushbox will still creep on minor inclines, but will roll downhill slowly on steeper slopes.
As others have said it depends on how steep the hill is but quite a few modern automatics now have a hill start assistance where it will hold you on the brakes for around 30 seconds or so whole you move your foot from the brake pedal to the accelerator to pull away.
Original post by Kimbleboss

It depends on the torque supplied from the gearbox to the wheels. The car might be able to hold itself but due to the angle of inclination it could move backwards or even stall. Coz at idle, the car's transmission is going to provide only a definite amount of torque. Beyond that and it is going to move backwards or simply stall. Newer cars tend not to stall as the ECU can detect that sudden drop in rpm and compensate for any loss of torque. Hill assist is one of the many ways that auto cars use to prevent stalls or lurching backwards.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6
So on a upward incline, what's the proper way to get moving? Is this the right sequence of controls?

1) shift gear stick to Drive, with foot brake pressed
2) release handbrake
3) release foot brake and move onto accelerator

or would you suggest gently pressing on the gas just before the handbrake is released?
On a steep hill, left foot on brake -> put into Drive -> release handbrake (could be done before engaging Drive) -> right foot suitable press on throttle as left foot is released from brake.

Easy peasy, no roll back.
Reply 8
It fully depends what the car is!

If it's a tiny Peugeot or something it will creep forward less or not at all on a steep incline that say, a Range Rover would.
With mine your left foot does nothing at all.
With right foot on brake you press it hard and it activates a hill start system which holds you on the brake for 30 seconds giving you time to move right foot from brake to accelerator to pull away.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending