mjn1789
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I'm currently in quite a sticky situation...

I'm particularly interested in:
Physics,
Maths and
Computer Science

However, I cannot decide what I want to choose for my fourth AS, all I know is it's something that I'd most likely drop in the second year.

Also, I've heard that Physics is "Very Hard", so I'm not sure if I want to take that on as well. If any experienced people could elaborate on that, please do. And as for Maths and Computer Science, I feel very confident in those areas.

If anyone could spread some ideas, that'd be very great!
mjn1789
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Title should be, In need of help with picking AS Levels.
Muhammad19999
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hello.

I have done A Level Physics, Maths, Further Maths, Bio and Chen this year so I have experience.

Physics at AS is not as hard as people say it is. The criterion for whether you will think its hard or not is how much you like maths. If you can't bear the sight of maths, then physics will be hard. If you love maths, then it will be easier.

No A Level is easy but certain combinations help. For example, Maths and Physics really help. Sure, you don't need differential Calculus for A Level Phsyics but it does help if you take maths. In year 2, Physics gets harder in the sense that the topics are quite interlinked. Furthermore, questions can be made up of many many different topics. And you need to be able to think creatively to solve the questions.

A level maths also has a similar story. The only main difference is that in A Level maths there is less out of the box thinking (I am pretty sure someone will tell me off for this!). What I mean is that you can get a lot better with practice and not really understanding the topic. But in physics the higher grades are unlocked only with truly understanding the topic.

What you should really be thinking about is what you can gain from A Level Physics and Maths: Critical thinking skills, Creative thinking and Problem solving skills.
STEM.lover
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Further maths would be a good combination with those options, it gives you the option of doing a degree in maths or computer science at all universities.

However, you should research what you want to for the future and chose subjects that will allow you to pursue that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (145)
30.02%
No (338)
69.98%

Watched Threads