Did anyone else receive a hand written letter when applying? Watch

Captain Haddock
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hey guys,
Earlier this year I received a personal hand written letter from one of the history staff at Aber, basically discussing my personal statement and telling me that he agreed with what I wrote about the subject. This was a real deciding factor when it came to making Aber my firm - I mean, very few universities these days actually take the time to write to their applicants. It's a pretty impressive thing to do.

aaaanyway... This whole thing basically just sprang back to mind right now so I thought I'd ask in here if anyone else got a similar letter when applying? I mean, it just seems so bizarre... In a good way, of course.
Somebody
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I didn't and haven't heard about anyone else getting one.... You must have made quite an impression :p:
Charlybob
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah, one of my offer letters was hand written. Think it was the Lancaster one. Wherever it was, it wasn't exactly a big thing, a few lines saying they'd be happy to have me and that the generic sheet was in there with the details, so they probably do the same for everyone.
LaurenFah
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Charlybob)
Yeah, one of my offer letters was hand written. Think it was the Lancaster one. Wherever it was, it wasn't exactly a big thing, a few lines saying they'd be happy to have me and that the generic sheet was in there with the details, so they probably do the same for everyone.
Yeah, I had a handwritten note from Lancaster too.

However, I don't think it's done all the time as none of my friends got it.
Charlybob
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by LaurenFah)
Yeah, I had a handwritten note from Lancaster too.

However, I don't think it's done all the time as none of my friends got it.
Oh, I just figured it was normal for Lancaster. Never really thought about it before now.

Might ask my friends next time I see them whether they got a hand written one too.

Well, the ones that applied to Lanc at least.

Awww, I feel all special now
AsphyxiateD
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Nah, I ain't that special.

;P
--**Sparkle**-
Report 10 years ago
I got one last year for human geography saying how they were impressed with my application, definitely made my decision for me that Aber was the friendliest university x
lilac spooge
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
yeah i got that and so have several others...in geography

from what i've gathered its done to students who the dont think they will keep when it come to the students choosing there final 2 uni's on ucas....I got offers from both southhampton and Exeter...so there was a good chance i may have not gone to aber...

So the department sends these hand written letters...to make you feel spec-al, and needed...
BexTait
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The unis don't know who else you've applied to/what offers you've got unless you tell them.
john williams
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No but its obvious from your predicted/alevel grades that you probably will have applied to much better places than Aber!
okfaye!
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've had one of these.
It could have been seen as an attempt to sway my decision but it was nice to know that someone had spent more than a few minutes reading my personal statement and took the time to write a letter.
princess_sue
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
nope & never heard of it.

Seems like a nice touch though & quite personal
thanette
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Awww wow!You is special! Wish I had got that. Keep it safe!
jseldis
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I got one from Manchester after my interview saying i performed very impressively. That was odd...
shootbangfire
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No, but I think that's absolutely lovely of him.
Olyy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I did,
and my girlfriend got a typed, but 'personal' (discussing PS and stuff) letter as well
button16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I got a hand written note saying obviously very pationate about the subject and they would like to see me at an open day and have a chat, seems like a lot of Geographers did though...
Sash.
Report 10 years ago
I got a hand written note from Aber, I thought it was really nice and personal, and it showed that they do take time for their students.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Aberystwyth University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 10 Jul '19
  • Aberystwyth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 10 Jul '19
  • Aberystwyth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 14 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (213)
39.23%
No - but I will (38)
7%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.63%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (256)
47.15%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed