Is it bad to be lucky[-ier than others]? Watch

TheEntertainer
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
For whatever luck means; if it exists, do you think it is necessarily bad to be - comparatively - luckier than others?
screenager2004
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No... why would it be?
Saffie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Perhaps in some ways. Like if you're born into a rich, happy family, and just fell into a good group of friends and naturally got high grades then you'd never learn how to work for anything yourself. People around you might hate you with jealousy!
TheEntertainer
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Yes, Saffie. Those are two of the reasons why I ask this question.

However, on second thought I wonder...

a) Perhaps you would never even need to work for anything yourself (personal/family contacts to find employment, well-networked etc.)

b) Jealousy. That's perhaps the key sentiment I wish to address.
Do you think people are often lead to believe that luck doesn't exist, that people should be equal, etc. merely for the sake of preventing jealousy?

But another thing would be...
How should a lucky/luckier person avoid drawing other people's jealousy?
DoMakeSayThink
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by TheEntertainer)
But another thing would be...
How should a lucky/luckier person avoid drawing other people's jealousy?
I think modesty and philanthropy are usually fairly good places to start.
Zerforax
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If they get jealous over something petty and something you dont really have any particular control over.. dont bother with them? They must be idiots if they get *****y/jealous over nothing.
FizzBitch
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's not bad, make the most of it! If you've got something good going or you get a once in a life time chance to do something, why waste it? As long as you appreciate what you have and are grateful for it, I don't think there's anything wrong with it.
Bear_Grylls
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
How is it bad, luck is the best thing you could have, wish i had luck for once
PoisonDonna
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If luck is exists, and I'd like to thing it does, I think people get the same amount it just comes at different times and in different forms, and can change people for the better and for the worse.
Like if you have had everything handed to you in life youre unlikely to know what to do when it stops being handed to you. But if you've had a bit of a rough time at life you're more equipped to deal with what comes along when it does.
I'm the second, and I like it that way, I'm waiting for my luck to come :ninja:
soup_dragon87
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by PoisonDonna)
If luck is exists, and I'd like to thing it does, I think people get the same amount it just comes at different times and in different forms, and can change people for the better and for the worse.
Like if you have had everything handed to you in life youre unlikely to know what to do when it stops being handed to you. But if you've had a bit of a rough time at life you're more equipped to deal with what comes along when it does.
I'm the second, and I like it that way, I'm waiting for my luck to come :ninja:
I agree with you There's a sort of balance; you might be very lucky in one part of your life but very unfortunate in another. It all adds up to form your personality and outlook on life.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (260)
38.92%
No - but I will (45)
6.74%
No - I don't want to (49)
7.34%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (314)
47.01%

Watched Threads