The new Jews on the block Watch

Poll: Are Muslims the "new Jews of Europe"?
Yes (46)
36.51%
No (74)
58.73%
Don't know (6)
4.76%
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Shahid Malik, who was appointed as a minister by Gordon Brown last summer, said it has become legitimate to target Muslims in the media and society at large in a way that would be unacceptable for any other minority, and that many Muslims feel targeted like "the Jews of Europe". Malik warned that many British Muslims feel like "aliens in their own country".

"I think most people would agree that if you ask Muslims today what do they feel like, they feel like the Jews of Europe," he said. "I don't mean to equate that with the Holocaust but in the way that it was legitimate almost – and still is in some parts – to target Jews, many Muslims would say that we feel the exact same way. Somehow there's a message out there that it's OK to target people as long as it's Muslims. And you don't have to worry about the facts, and people will turn a blind eye."

Where do you stand on this issue? Do you agree that Islamophobia is more likely to be tolerated than other forms of bigotry? If so, who is responsible? Is it possible to draw a clear line between attacking Muslims per se, and criticising the ideology itself?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...pe-859978.html
sdt
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Living with the enemy, also known as "marriage".
Rep:
?
(Original post by sdt)
Living with the enemy, also known as "marriage".
Well the thread title was inspired by an article, but thanks for the contribution.
sdt
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Look at the time. I already voted.
-=/-\=-
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Unlike the Jews, 'Muslims' encompass people of many different cultures and races. I'm tired of all these ****ing sheikhs/imams/mullahs whatever it is they call themselves going out and speaking in public on 'behalf' of 'the muslims'.
UniOfLife
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What he says (at least what you quote) is that if we ask Muslims they will say they are the "new Jews". I have no doubt that that is correct, they would say that. They'd be wrong though of course.

They'll become like the Jews of 1930s Europe when they are stripped of all their rights, their shops marked out as Muslim shops, their homes taken away. When their neighbours happily turn on them handing them over to be taken away to camps to be worked or gassed to death in order to be exterminated for no reason other than them being Jewish.

And pay special attention to this last point. What happened to the Jews happened because they were Jewish and for no other reason. The fuss that is now made about Muslims happens because some Muslims flew planes into the Twin Towers and blew themselves up on the Tube and tell us how they want to kill us all.
HodHod
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
And pay special attention to this last point. What happened to the Jews happened because they were Jewish and for no other reason. The fuss that is now made about Muslims happens because some Muslims flew planes into the Twin Towers and blew themselves up on the Tube and tell us how they want to kill us all.
however this is a minority that is being used as a publisized generalised image.

Isnt bombing innocent people in Iraq terrorism too? however because media is controlled at this side, its called anything but terrorism!
she
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No definetly not. For a start the only reason muslims are "targeted" in such a way (as in searched and such) is because terrorists currently are muslims :p: If I were a muslim I'd be pissed at suicide bombers not feel like I was being targeted.
she
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Anyway, muslims really aren't the "new jews". There are a lot of policies and schemes and such which go on to accomodate muslims, so this idea is just rubbish. Yes some people may be wary of muslims right now and that isn't pleasant if someone is muslim but at the same time suicide bombers are currently muslim :p:.
fletchinator
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by UniOfLife)
What he says (at least what you quote) is that if we ask Muslims they will say they are the "new Jews". I have no doubt that that is correct, they would say that. They'd be wrong though of course.

They'll become like the Jews of 1930s Europe when they are stripped of all their rights, their shops marked out as Muslim shops, their homes taken away. When their neighbours happily turn on them handing them over to be taken away to camps to be worked or gassed to death in order to be exterminated for no reason other than them being Jewish.

That was the Jews of 1930's Nazi Germany, not Europe.
UniOfLife
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by HodHod)
however this is a minority that is being used as a publisized generalised image.

Isnt bombing innocent people in Iraq terrorism too? however because media is controlled at this side, its called anything but terrorism!
It isn't used as a generalised image by anyone other than extremists. Muslims feels like they are being generalised about because there are lots of stories about extremist Muslims. Sure, I'd hate to have lots of stories about bad Jews but you know what? I wouldn't pretend that everyone is out to get me, I might consider going out to get the bad Jews/Muslims making my life worse.

And no, bombing Iraq isn't terrorism. Don't be an idiot. Although, it is precisely attitudes like yours that make people suspect Muslims. How much of a step is it to go from believing in a giant conspiracy to hide the mass murder of innocent Muslims to wanting to kill innocent Westerners? I don't think it is that far because they both have the same basic underlying delusion.
Rep:
?
Isnt bombing innocent people in Iraq terrorism too?
Interesting definition of terrorism you've got there.

however because media is controlled at this side, its called anything but terrorism!
The pluralist media in the West is controlled? By whom?
UniOfLife
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by fletchinator)
That was the Jews of 1930's Nazi Germany, not Europe.
Some of it was only in Germany and some in the rest of Eastern Europe too. Pogroms happened in many places and in many countries of EE neighbours happlily colluded with the Nazis to exterminate Jews.
DoMakeSayThink
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

The man did say, in no uncertain terms, that he didn't mean to equate it with the Holocaust. I agree with the majority of your sentiment, but given the quote, I think there are better lines of attack.
UniOfLife
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by DoMakeSayThink)
The man did say, in no uncertain terms, that he didn't mean to equate it with the Holocaust. I agree with the majority of your sentiment, but given the quote, I think there are better lines of attack.
My post wasn't an attack it was an observation.

Besides, if I say that Islamic terrorists are the new SS what would it mean if I said afterwards that I'm not trying to equate Islamic terrorism to the Holocaust. I can say whatever I want, but when you equate two things simply saying that you're not equating them doesn't actually change reality.
joker_900
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What exactly does he mean by "targeting"?

I think there is more about Muslims in the media. But that's because certain groups of them draw more attention than other religions, particularly those who seem to want this to be a Muslim country. If there were large numbers of hindus complaining about everything in this country and suggesting they should be able to introduce their own special law into it, people would be pissed off at them too.

I don't like the word Islamophobia either. I don't think there's anything wrong with disliking/hating a religion. What's wrong with judging a system of beliefs?
i_<3_you
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i might of got this point wrong, but ill just get my views out on here....:p:
im a muslim, i try not to make things like that affect my life...and it is working..... personally sometimes, i used to feel a bit weird around other people..but iv grown out of that...i just find it stupid to live in a type of fear....
i wouldnt say i feel like a new jew.. they were treated much differently to how muslims are know, all muslims are getting are stupid comment, and maybe a few racist commment etc. but the jews they went throught some kind of torture, like being droven out their house...
but sometimes also i do feel like an alien,..... i dont why i should...afterall i was born here and raised and have lived here all my life..

also i agree with she, about what she said if she was amuslim....piss...etc

im not pissed, i hate them...theyr making some people lives a misery
DoMakeSayThink
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My post wasn't an attack it was an observation.

Besides, if I say that Islamic terrorists are the new SS what would it mean if I said afterwards that I'm not trying to equate Islamic terrorism to the Holocaust. I can say whatever I want, but when you equate two things simply saying that you're not equating them doesn't actually change reality.

Yes, but the SS were a force whose entire purpose was lived out through the Holocaust. The persecution of the Jewish race has gone on rather longer than just during the 1930's/40's, as I'm sure you're well aware. Is it not entirely possible that this is what he was referring to? I realise the term "Jews of Europe" may be a little indicative of those that were affected by the Holocaust, but it's not a one-to-one correlation.

EDIT: A more equivalent analogy, I think, would be to say "islamic terrorists are the new German army, excluding those involved in the holocaust."
Paxdax
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No. Unlike the Jews, the Muslims are creating lots of law to protect them from criticism. (I'm not saying the Jews were 'criticised')
UniOfLife
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by DoMakeSayThink)
Yes, but the SS were a force whose entire purpose was lived out through the Holocaust. The persecution of the Jewish race has gone on rather longer than just during the 1930's/40's, as I'm sure you're well aware. Is it not entirely possible that this is what he was referring to? I realise the term "Jews of Europe" may be a little indicative of those that were affected by the Holocaust, but it's not a one-to-one correlation.

EDIT: A more equivalent analogy, I think, would be to say "islamic terrorists are the new German army, excluding those involved in the holocaust."
Not a chance did he mean that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (432)
37.47%
No - but I will (88)
7.63%
No - I don't want to (79)
6.85%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (554)
48.05%

Watched Threads