username5008132
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I was wondering towards any current Durham Philosophy students or just Durham as a whole. How competitive is this university and more specifically how competitive is Philosophy? I have predicted grades of AAB, but the requirements ask for AAA. I have read the Durham site and they've specified if a student shows outstanding knowledge etc of Philosophy already, in the rare case, they'll make an offer to students who have lower grades than what's being asked in requirements. I do study religious studies at A level and my predicted grade for that is an A. I also got an 8 in GCSE for religious studies, both A level and GCSE study had huge amounts of Philosophy and Ethics study which I could talk about in my personal statement, but I'm not sure if it's enough.

IS IT WORTH APPLYING?? I'm worried that I will have wasted an application. Do I apply to Philosophy with a foundation year or the regular Philosophy course???
Hugh's Swan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I know someone who slipped a grade by 1 mark to A*AB (B in politics and A* in philosophy and ethics) and got rejected after being on the waiting list for 2 weeks after results day.
Anonymous #1
Report 5 months ago
Email the department and ask. Durham are expanding and their new college opens in 2020 so you never know they may consider you. They will also look at your predictions contextually in regard to your school/college overall performance. Be warned though if you do miss an offer even by only 1 mark Durham are not known for being generous.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (276)
15.51%
Uncertainty around my education (279)
15.67%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (177)
9.94%
Isolating with family (126)
7.08%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (79)
4.44%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (149)
8.37%
Loneliness (175)
9.83%
Financial worries (72)
4.04%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (163)
9.16%
Exposure to negative news/social media (126)
7.08%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (158)
8.88%

Watched Threads