Looking for a computer Watch

Hockey08
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I'm looking for a desktop computer. Where are some places that sell quality desktops at a decent price in the UK?
Garden_Gnome
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Do you live in the US? If so, why would you want to buy a desktop from the UK? It will probably be more expensive.
Nath_england
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you want to save £££ you could build one yourself or get a custom made desktop.
Hedger
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Post in tech :yy:
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
dell outlet (dells computers that have been made but cancelled so go cheaply)
iMacThere4iAm
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
As a rule, tech is much cheaper in the States, so I'd recommend buying there, unless transport costs will be too much.
Unless you're determined to get a desktop, think about gettign a laptop - easier to bring here plus I have a feeling there's no import tax on laptops.
StudiedOut
Report 10 years ago
You're local computer shop should be able to do you a pretty good deal. I remember seeing on the Gadget Show (on Five) they ordered from an online store, bought from a PC warehouse and got one from a local store - local store won out on price and performance (and whatever else they tested it on). I'm not saying that others are bad, just that you can get good prices in store too
CMTech
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
overclockers.co.uk SUCK, their customer service is ludicrous!
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yes but then again the gadget show would probably think Alienware/Valdim offer good value for money (they have had both in the mega give away)
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
+1 for CMtech, although id say they rip you off before the bad service :P
Scan all the way!
Sk1lLz
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I would recommend buying online, and getting the parts seperately and custom build it yourself. But, if you're not very technical and don't want to do this, then go to computer shops that are not chain stores, you can get good prices there and you could even get a discount. DO NOT go to PC World! They will rip you off so bad that you will end up paying £800 for a £400 computer.
CMTech
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Quady)
+1 for CMtech, although id say they rip you off before the bad service :P
Scan all the way!
Yeah thanks, Scan are good cause their doing the XFX 9800GTX for £130 whilst everyone else has it for around £200, also if your a member of "hexus" you get free delivery!!
Sk1lLz
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Can you get a decent gaming PC for £600 by custom building it and buying the parts from scan?
CMTech
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Sk1lLz)
I would recommend buying online, and getting the parts seperately and custom build it yourself. But, if you're not very technical and don't want to do this, then go to computer shops that are not chain stores, you can get good prices there and you could even get a discount. DO NOT go to PC World! They will rip you off so bad that you will end up paying £800 for a £400 computer.
Man, PC World are horrendous, their charging £130 for a 7800GS!
Here
CMTech
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Sk1lLz)
Can you get a decent gaming PC for £600 by custom building it and buying the parts from scan?
Buy separate parts from Scan for a gaming PC and the price would be around £500 with a Q6600, 2GB DDR800 and a HD4850 (rough guess), if you want any cheaper, you should go to "Ebuyer."
Sk1lLz
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by CMTech)
Buy separate parts from Scan for a gaming PC and the price would be around £500 with a Q6600, 2GB DDR800 and a HD4850 (rough guess), if you want any cheaper, you should go to "Ebuyer."
What's a HD4850? I don't really know enough of how to build a computer, but I guess it would be quite easy as there's a lot of help everywhere. The hard part's getting the right components.
CMTech
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
the HD4850 is a mid-top range grahics card, the card is perfectly good for the latest games for a long time. If your monitor has a resolution of "1280 x 1024" then the card will wizz through games, if you have a "1680 x 1050(widescreen monitor) and apply the AA and AF efffects, then the card is fast, but their are faster and slightly more expensive alternatives such as the "HD4870" or the "gtx280", if your willing to "throw money away i suggest you get the "9800GX2," which is the fastest dual card option; it's about £300 it's self, so i'm pretty sure it wouldn't be a part of your £600 budget. Anyway, in realtion to building the PC i suggest you look at this article:

Here

If you need personal help on building the PC, then please PM me as i'm an "expert" and also an enthusiast.

Muz.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (82)
39.23%
No - but I will (9)
4.31%
No - I don't want to (13)
6.22%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (105)
50.24%

Watched Threads