My big brother is a heroin addict Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
So, i found out yesturday that my brother who is nearly 21 and still lives with us at home, has been smoking heroin for the last 2 years. He has kept it a secret from all of my family all this time. We found out because on wednesday night he was arrested for possessing 4 lots of class A drugs (heroin, methadone, MDMAs and something else i think) and the police came round in the night and searched his room. They also came back yesturday and searched again when i was the only one in the house. i had no idea what he had been arrested for at this stage, we didnt know until he finally got home at about 8 last night.
i just cant believe it. we all knew that he smoked skunk cos he had been doing it for years and had been in trouble with the police for that when he was about 17 and i thought he might have done cocaine a few times but i wasnt expecting this. He says the police are going to help him get on a proper methodone treatment programme but i really cant see him getting himself clean if he has been living with it for 2 years or so and it is just normal for him. im worried that he is going to go to prison too. He thinks he might get away with a referal order or community service or whatever but im not so sure it doesnt look good does it?
randdom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
There are too many variables to really know what the police are going to do, all you can really do is hope that they decide that it is more important to help him get off the drugs than it is for him to be punished. As someone who doesn't really know very much about the law I wouldn't want to reassure you when I don't really know anymore than you do.

With regards to the addiction it is perfectly possible that he will be able to kick it having been addicted for two years. It could be a long road and there may be slip ups along the way but it is possible. He is going to need the support of you and the rest of the family during this difficult time. So if you feel able maybe talk to him about it and see how he is feeling and ask if there is anything the he would like you to do. It might also be worth you having a talk to someone about what is going on just so you have someone who can support you because it is going to be a hard time for you, this could be a teacher, friend, family friend anyone really
DoMakeSayThink
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My cousin went through a similar thing, and is currently in a rehab (of sorts) that is working very well for him. Don't give up hope, it's perfectly possible to kick the habit. It's not going to be an easy time for you, though. There will be times when you're looked upon to provide a tremendous amount of support, and others a signifcant discipline. My cousin is in contact with his immediate family only by letters, once a month, as the centre he is at doesn't encourage interaction with the situation/place in which the drug taking occurred.

I wish all the best for you and your family.
Rokit
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So, i found out yesturday that my brother who is nearly 21 and still lives with us at home, has been smoking heroin for the last 2 years. He has kept it a secret from all of my family all this time. We found out because on wednesday night he was arrested for possessing 4 lots of class A drugs (heroin, methadone, MDMAs and something else i think) and the police came round in the night and searched his room. They also came back yesturday and searched again when i was the only one in the house. i had no idea what he had been arrested for at this stage, we didnt know until he finally got home at about 8 last night.
i just cant believe it. we all knew that he smoked skunk cos he had been doing it for years and had been in trouble with the police for that when he was about 17 and i thought he might have done cocaine a few times but i wasnt expecting this. He says the police are going to help him get on a proper methodone treatment programme but i really cant see him getting himself clean if he has been living with it for 2 years or so and it is just normal for him. im worried that he is going to go to prison too. He thinks he might get away with a referal order or community service or whatever but im not so sure it doesnt look good does it?
As a user he will not face a jail term. However he needs to get on the treatment program asap and every single one of you has to support him. It is crucial. Heroin is worse than coke and everything else combined and I have heard and seen numerous addicts trying to deal with the effects of not having any in their system. Its scary
Rokit
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by DoMakeSayThink)
My cousin went through a similar thing, and is currently in a rehab (of sorts) that is working very well for him. Don't give up hope, it's perfectly possible to kick the habit. It's not going to be an easy time for you, though. There will be times when you're looked upon to provide a tremendous amount of support, and others a signifcant discipline. My cousin is in contact with his immediate family only by letters, once a month, as the centre he is at doesn't encourage interaction with the situation/place in which the drug taking occurred.

I wish all the best for you and your family.
Is his family paying for the rehabilitation centre or is it available on the NHS?
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm fairly sure he won't face prison for his first time getting caught with it. You need to reassure him that although the media would like to have people believe heroin is the most addictive thing on the planet the withdrawal will only last 3 days. Sit with him during these 3 days and make sure he's well looked after and hydrated. Getting off is the easy part for most though, it's staying off that's really difficult. He needs to remove himself from his group of drug using friends and have absolutely nothing to do with them for at least a few months because they will drag him back down.
Frieza
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
First of all, are you sure he wants to get off?

And why are all you people talking as doing heroin was objectively a bad thing?
I wouldn't judge other people's decision, if he decided to get in, maybe it could be what he wants, therefore the best thing for him.
DoMakeSayThink
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Rokit)
Is his family paying for the rehabilitation centre or is it available on the NHS?
Well, he (and his family) live in America so the NHS was never an option. I think there are some government run rehabilitation clinics in the US (I'm not sure) but this certainly isn't one of those by any stretch. It's rather more unsual than that. It's a sort of farm in Northern Italy, run by a recovered drug addict, in which the 'patients' (for want of a better word) live a simple life of hard work, away from almost all modern amenities. It's not intended to be the first port of call for an addict, as they don't offer much in the way of medical treatment. What they do, very successfuly, is prevent relapse and instill self confidence. It's mainly for young people, I think. I'm afraid I don't know much more - It's not a favourite subject of my Aunt and Uncle's, as I'm sure you could understand.
Toy Soldier
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Elipsis)
I'm fairly sure he won't face prison for his first time getting caught with it. You need to reassure him that although the media would like to have people believe heroin is the most addictive thing on the planet the withdrawal will only last 3 days. Sit with him during these 3 days and make sure he's well looked after and hydrated. Getting off is the easy part for most though, it's staying off that's really difficult. He needs to remove himself from his group of drug using friends and have absolutely nothing to do with them for at least a few months because they will drag him back down.
It's not just his group / lifestyle that's the issue... after the physical withdrawal period is over, he then has to go the rest of his life knowing that he'll probably never feel as good again as he did while he was smacked off his tits. Ever. That's why it's not a good idea to even start. It's not just about physical cravings, or a drug culture. He KNOWS how it feels now - so any time in his life when he's feeling low or highly stressed, the temptation to go back to it is going to be immense.
Toy Soldier
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by DoMakeSayThink)
It's a sort of farm in Northern Italy, run by a recovered drug addict, in which the 'patients' (for want of a better word) live a simple life of hard work, away from almost all modern amenities. It's not intended to be the first port of call for an addict, as they don't offer much in the way of medical treatment. What they do, very successfuly, is prevent relapse and instill self confidence. It's mainly for young people, I think. I'm afraid I don't know much more - It's not a favourite subject of my Aunt and Uncle's, as I'm sure you could understand.
...a concentration camp?
Anonymous #2
Report 10 years ago
I know someone very well who managed to get off of hard drugs like heroine and crack after 30 years - so try not to worry yourself too much about 2 years of addiction Yes, it's an intensely hard drug to get off of, but if this guy can do it, then there's hope for your brother too.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Toy Soldier)
It's not just his group / lifestyle that's the issue... after the physical withdrawal period is over, he then has to go the rest of his life knowing that he'll probably never feel as good again as he did while he was smacked off his tits. Ever. That's why it's not a good idea to even start. It's not just about physical cravings, or a drug culture. He KNOWS how it feels now - so any time in his life when he's feeling low or highly stressed, the temptation to go back to it is going to be immense.
Why even bold that part when you can see the part afterwards that says it's staying off that's the problem? I KNOW how mdma feels but as time goes on it's pull on me diminishes and I don't want it as much anymore. After a while on opiates for medical reasons I had to withdraw a bit and then go without, although it does feel good the need to go back to that world diminishes over time and because I don't know people who I can get any stuff off of I won't.
DoMakeSayThink
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Toy Soldier)
...a concentration camp?
Comparing my description to a concentration camp is an enormous belittlement of the suffering that thousands upon thousands went through in those places. Hilarious.

You yourself have mentioned how hard it is to stay off drugs like heroin after you've experienced the high. The farm my cousin is on is intended to show you the satisfaction that can be achieved through simple things, how you can enjoy life without drugs, and to give you a lifestyle so different to your previous one that there are no triggers to remind you of drugs. It's not a prison, you can leave at any time. They'll even get you your plane tickets. Once you leave, though, you don't come back - which is what they're trying to do with the heroin, too.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (145)
38.26%
No - but I will (21)
5.54%
No - I don't want to (28)
7.39%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (185)
48.81%

Watched Threads