?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Really, does anyone go? And if so, why?
GraveMentor
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
People do go to them. The fact it stands for "Big Open Party" should explain why
martin101
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
ahhh, I never realised it was an acronym. I just thought it was some weird Oxford word (wouldnt be the first!)
henryt
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ohh. I thought it was 'Breach(es) of the Peace'? Well, either way, people do go to them!!

Even at Merton! We have ours at the Sports Pav, so ours can go on till 2, rather than stopping at midnight or somesuch! :proud:

As for why? God knows. But Sugarbabes, people dressed in just parcel tape and Power Pints seems to be a combination that works!
username138106
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
For the sake of college unity, it's a communal night that all must attend. Like a family funeral; it's not meant to be fun, but if you miss it, you're out of the family.
Sinuhe
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by henryt)
Even at Merton! We have ours at the Sports Pav, so ours can go on till 2, rather than stopping at midnight or somesuch! :proud:
They do go on for ever and ever; I should know, you have these EXTREMELY annoying strobe lights flashing into my room every few seconds preventing me from falling asleep. :p:
Really, what's the point in having strobe lights pointing outside?

At Catz we call them 'entz parties' (or just 'entz' - and yes, I know this also has a broader meaning, but you can guess which is which based on the context) rather than 'bops', mainly because we like to be special. And no, I have no idea why anyone would want to go; lots of people do though. :confused:
sporkonator
Rep:
?
(Original post by 2 + 2 = 5)
it's a communal night that all must attend.
You mean that in a social responsibility sort of way, right? Surely there aren't any repercussions after forsaking the assembly that extend beyond dirty looks from ones JCR bench...?

Also, I have seen pictures of these Bops and people are usually clothed like pirates or spacemen or the opposite sex. Are Bops always fancy dress?
epitome
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Very often fancy dress. Not always, though.

I've no idea why anyone goes to these things. But they do. In great numbers. Apparently they're rather fun. :p:
username138106
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by sporkonator)
You mean that in a social responsibility sort of way, right?
Bingo.
Alive
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yes.

Because they are fun, unless nobody goes, in which case they suck.
It's like going clubbing, but cheaper and in more ridiculous clothes.
Athena
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
They are a good way to get to know your fellow first years (if you're a fresher), and because it's fancy dress, everyone tends to look equally silly. Wadham bops are, for some reason, so popular we have to have security to keep non-Wadhamites out.

You don't have to go, but you'll miss out on a lot of the fun - not just at the bop, but of coming up with a costume idea, beg/borrow/stealing the stuff (or hitting Primark), getting ready together and then hitting the bar before dancing to cheesy music and getting sweaty with your college mates.
sporkonator
Rep:
?
Thanks all. From what I've heard, I think I'll end up going to one or two. The act of dressing up and dancing sweatily to "cheesy" music doesn't appeal, but the purpose of JCR cohesion seems like a noble and worthy one, even at the cost of ones dignity.
SolInvictus
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Thanks all. From what I've heard, I think I'll end up going to one or two. The act of dressing up and dancing sweatily to "cheesy" music doesn't appeal, but the purpose of JCR cohesion seems like a noble and worthy one, even at the cost of ones dignity.
Just have a few drinks and meet people.
Huw Davies
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You probably won't enjoy them if you take yourself quite this seriously

They honestly are a lot more fun than they sound.

I would be surprised if "bop" came from an acronym: think it has some history as old-fashioned slang for a dance.
Mayfly
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Once you've been clubbing in Oxford a few times, you will begin to understand the appeal more.

Like, at least with bops people acknowledge they are dancing to crap music in a room with a sticky floor, and aren't paying to do so.
sporkonator
Rep:
?
Sounds like a right old knees-up.
jay8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I can't wait for the Wadham bops

Anyone have any idea why they have the reputation of being particularly popular?
Athena
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jay8)
I can't wait for the Wadham bops

Anyone have any idea why they have the reputation of being particularly popular?
1. They are more frequent that many other colleges (five per term in Michaelmas and Hilary)
2. They are ostensibly Wadham-only (lending them a spuriously exclusive air)
3. They go on later than the bops at many other colleges (1am, sometimes a bit beyond that)
4. They finish with The Specials' 'Free Nelson Mandela', when the guys stick the girls on their shoulders and suffer for 3-4mins of 'dancing'. The aim is not to drop anyone/fall off. If you are male and skinny, it's acceptable to be on someone else's shoulders (and to lift someone up if you're a strong enough girl).

EDIT: Incidentally, have you been sent anything saying who Wadham's new biology tutor is? When I asked at the end of term, they still hadn't found anyone to replace Dr McCleery, and I rather suspect the college have convenientally forgotten the HumScis exist :hmpf:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 3 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (213)
39.23%
No - but I will (38)
7%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.63%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (256)
47.15%

Watched Threads