Hi, I'm Rodney and I'm about to become a student! Watch

Psorian
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hi, I am Rodney.

<Everyone replies "Hi Rodney!">

And I'm about to become a student at a college.

<He looks proud around the room as he admits his problem and everybody starts applauding him for his braveness>

Ok, now on a more serious note: Well I am Rodney. I am 17 years old and I live in the Netherlands. In September I will start at a school which is similar to a college, if I am not mistaken. Here I will start studying (literally translated) "education assistent" whose task it is to assist teachers during their classes etc. When I have finished, I will continue studying to higher education so I can become an English teacher. As such, please read my signature for my request to you all! :rolleyes:

Well, hoping to talk to a lot of you soon!

Greetz,

-Psorian
pyrolol
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hello. This is just personal preference; what sounds better in my opinion.

clapping _him_ for his braveness, or better yet 'applauding him'.

"Well I am Rodney, 17 years old" Might be better with an _and_ or _am_, or maybe a semicolon. It's fine for a forum post, or spoken though - the expected style is less formal.

September*

"similar to a college_,_ if I am not mistaken." They're separate clauses, it's better to separate them slightly, reads more fluidly.

literally*

"who's" means who is, the word you want is whose.

"When I _have_ finished...", and probably worth omitting the "this study", changing "at a" to "to", and then cut the "level". Also, "English teacher", 'teacher in' sounds a bit stuffy.

Maybe you could change "With this said" to "As such,"? And "you all" seems better than "all of you", although there's nothing wrong with it. Also I think generally people would say "talk to" over "talk with". No real reason here, I just can't recall hearing the latter from anyone.

I'm sure it will come more naturally after a couple of years getting used to it. Don't take this as criticism, it's a damn sight better than anything I could write in a foreign language.
Psorian
Rep:
?
Hello pryrolol,

Thank you very much for your critisism! I will edit the post in a few minutes and I really hope that more people will help me like this!
Lord Fisher
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You have a legendary name Rodney! Especially for a Dutchman! It's funny that you should be named after a great English Admiral, and not one of your own nation's, like De Witt, or Tromp!

Firstly, I'd like to say that your English is excellent for a foreigner, and better than many international students who I have worked alongside at my University. I actually rather like your style, and you certainly have a good sense of humour.

You might also be interested to know that I once lived in the Netherlands! It was in a town called Helmond in the south, not too far from Eindhoven! However, my Dutch then was poor, and now, is practically non-existant. But I'll always remember 'Let op, Drempels!!' and 'lekker'. Oh, and a swear word that I only ever heard, but never saw written, it sounded like 'Hodverdommer'. What does it really mean? I didn't know if it was 'God damn it'?
PunkyFish-x
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Lol Yay! you will love being a student! Best time of my life
pyrolol
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Couple more I somehow missed earlier.

bravery would be better than braveness (I don't *think* braveness is a word, but English has so many little strange exceptions that I don't think anybody can really keep track)^^. and it's spelt, 'assistant'.
Psorian
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lord Fisher)
You have a legendary name Rodney! Especially for a Dutchman! It's funny that you should be named after a great English Admiral, and not one of your own nation's, like De Witt, or Tromp!

Firstly, I'd like to say that your English is excellent for a foreigner, and better than many international students who I have worked alongside at my University. I actually rather like your style, and you certainly have a good sense of humour.

You might also be interested to know that I once lived in the Netherlands! It was in a town called Helmond in the south, not too far from Eindhoven! However, my Dutch then was poor, and now, is practically non-existant. But I'll always remember 'Let op, Drempels!!' and 'lekker'. Oh, and a swear word that I only ever heard, but never saw written, it sounded like 'Hodverdommer'. What does it really mean? I didn't know if it was 'God damn it'?
Thank you, thank you Well I believe I was named after a good friend of my mother who has meant a lot in her life and I absolutely got no clue where he got his name from obviously...

I would also like to thank you for this second compliment! I've always been pretty good in English, but lately I'm really trying trying to get it perfect! (I believe I need some correction there... :confused: ) And just to give you an image of my skills: At the age of 9, I was already able to communicate with English people in Runescape! :p: (I learned a lot of English from TV when I was still a kid, as we have a LOT of shows with English subtitles) But now, 8 years later, it got a lot better as you already noticed.

And that's quite cool! I live all the way in the North-west tough, near the coast It's not really near Helmond or Eindhoven. Also, I believe you mean "Godverdomme" and it indeed means "God damn it!", but litteraly translated it would be "God damn me!"

Also on a last note to Pyrolol, thanks again for the corrections! They really mean a lot to me. :cool:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (551)
37.82%
No - but I will (114)
7.82%
No - I don't want to (102)
7%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (690)
47.36%

Watched Threads