Birmingham or Exeter? Watch

sammirx
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I am a final year student from Hong Kong
Actually I got MSc offers from Department of economics of birmingham and exeter
I would like to ask which university is better in term of alumni and employers' view?
or which university will make me easier to go into banking or even investment banking field? because if possible I want to work in UK for 1-2 years before going back my home town
Thanks for helping
JazzyJo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
birmingham - bigger city with more work available than exeter. good department and very nice uni (done my undergrad and going to do a phd there) i dont know about economics at exeter, but birmingham is a redbrick university and therefore holds a lot of weight with employers etc

i am a little biased, but i hae visited both unis. exeter has a lovely campus, but all the time i was there i felt like they were trying to 'sell' the uni to me, rather than treat me like i was a prospective student.
Milady de Winter
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by JazzyJo)
birmingham - bigger city with more work available than exeter. good department and very nice uni (done my undergrad and going to do a phd there) i dont know about economics at exeter, but birmingham is a redbrick university and therefore holds a lot of weight with employers etc

i am a little biased, but i hae visited both unis. exeter has a lovely campus, but all the time i was there i felt like they were trying to 'sell' the uni to me, rather than treat me like i was a prospective student.
In what subject, just out of nosiness?
Kitty Pimms
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Milady de Winter)
In what subject, just out of nosiness?
Our survey says sports science: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...32&postcount=4

I had no idea the poster was at Brum when I posted in that thread. I would have been pushier had I known!!
faber niger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Go wherever you personally want, i.e. which location you prefer. They are both very good universities, there's no point trying to split hairs.
JazzyJo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by IlexAquifolium)
Our survey says sports science: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...32&postcount=4

I had no idea the poster was at Brum when I posted in that thread. I would have been pushier had I known!!
it was sports science, but im now doing it i the medical school

nice nosiness though!
naivesincerity
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
About equal I'd say, but I'd rather live in Exeter personally, much nicer place and location, Devon is great.
poofacedpoo
Report 10 years ago
I live in Exeter.

I would say...

It depends on what you want from university really, BUT... Exeter *probably* has a *slightly* better rep. than Birmingham (but that's just me and the impression I get - which I do feel is an 'educated' impression). I mean, they're both 'red brick' uni's, but Exeter is a MUCH smaller place and due to its location (south) it means it's much more 'known' for its university/ cathedral/ history, etc. whereas when people say "Birmingham" the immediate thought is not necessarily "university" but "accent".

Personally (though I've never actually spent much time there myself), I might be tempted to go for Birmingham, but that's only because Exeter is such a narrow-minded place (I lived there until I was about eighteen) and very 'white' (ethnic) and middle class. I wouldn't know, but Birmingham doesn't immediately strike me as the same.

Hope that helps! :-)

x
Kitty Pimms
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by JazzyJo)
it was sports science, but im now doing it i the medical school

nice nosiness though!
Good choice!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (477)
38.19%
No - but I will (95)
7.61%
No - I don't want to (87)
6.97%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (590)
47.24%

Watched Threads