I donot drink advisable to attend freshers week or not ????????????? Watch

life is beautiful
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
hey everyone, I am going to start Uni in this sep (08). I am really confused about freshers week.
i donot drink (alcohol) but i want to make many friends (cause always been with lots of friends cannot imagine a life as loner) would it be advisable for me to go to freshers week or avoid the freshers week??????????????

any valueble suggestions appreciated (may be a positive rep also )
suek
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Go to freshers week, just don't drink. Easy.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Missing out on freshers means more than just missing out on drinking.

It's when clubs and societies recruit, when your course will register, when the Union will show itself off.

Go, just don't drink. Simple.
linkdapink
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well that's where most people make friends. You can go to clubs and not drink surely? During freshers week is where people just talk to complete strangers. At my uni there were alternative non-alcoholic events, which were actually pretty cool, as well as day time events for people to do. Don't miss out just because you don't drink alcohol
sophisticated
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
GO TO FRESHERS WEEK!
It is essential for making friends, signing up to your course, joining societies etc.
When I first joined University I didn't drink much at all, I didn't drink much in Freshers week but nobody cares. But now I've changed throughout my first year at Uni and learnt to love the drink
You might change also, you might not, but either way people will be fine with whether you choose to drink or not so for gods sake go to fresher's week! It is a brilliant time!
LieDown
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't drink either, and am fully intending to go to freshers week! Just don't drink. I usually feel self conscious about it so I get a drink of something either non-alcoholic or something alcoholic that I maybe can stand to sip, and get on with it! It's not necessarily a preogative for making friends which is what freshers week is about!

I will be nervous about it though, I'll probably feel self-conscious, but there are others who will be doing it to
RJ555
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't drink either and am a little nervous about freshers. But I know Ive got the wrong idea in my head that everyone will all be wasted and pressuring me to drink, when in reality, most people won't care either way. Hopefully they'll be some nice sober people to chat too! (hopes)
jmj
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I would definitely recommend you go. It's the week where you can make friends, and join societies and clubs which share you interests- it's the best week to establish friendships with people. My experience was that after fresher's week things were a lot quieter and it would've been very hard for me to make friends if I hadn't joined the CU. I don't drink very much, I probably had about four drinks throughout the whole of fresher's week. Nobody minds, just get a J20 or equivalent, there should be quite a good soft drinks range wherever you go.

Also, it'll be a lot harder for you to settle into university if you move in and try to make friends then because of all the academic stuff starting, you won't having a bearing on campus (it took me about a week to find my way around where all the places were and my campus is really small) and you won't have any idea where all you're lectures are. Which also brings up the good point that you'll have vital stuff to attend like safety talks, registering your course, registering with the university, and organising your timetable.

I strongly recommend you go- just drink soft drinks and if you don't like going out, you can go to fresher's week and not go out as much as everyone else did. That's what I did- it had gotten to about Thursday in fresher's week and everybody was going out and I just didn't want to. I didn't like the idea of the event, I was really tired, and I just knew I wouldn't enjoy it. So I ate a muller rice, watched a DVD on my laptop and went to bed early
faber niger
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm sure you'll find people to get along with. You can always drink water at bars and things.

Which university are you going to btw? We may get some specific responses from people who are there!
Dionysus
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You should definitely still go. It's not entirely about being drunk. It just helps people open up and talk to each other more easily.
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Goto freshers, you dont have to drink. Im not going to presume you dont like partying, go out have a laugh make friends do stoopid things. just do it without alcohol if you want.
life is beautiful
(Original post by jismith1989)
I'm sure you'll find people to get along with. You can always drink water at bars and things.

Which university are you going to btw? We may get some specific responses from people who are there!
obviously not the top 10 unis or good unis it is only Kingston Uni
Joanna May
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Do people at home force you to drink? I'm presuming not. So why would university be any different?
chooka
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I know people who went to freshers week this year and dont drink. You usually find it will be a lot cheaper and you will go to all the events. As long as you are not a shy natured person it will be fine.
LieDown
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by RJ555)
I don't drink either and am a little nervous about freshers. But I know Ive got the wrong idea in my head that everyone will all be wasted and pressuring me to drink, when in reality, most people won't care either way. Hopefully they'll be some nice sober people to chat too! (hopes)
Haha yeah that's what I'm hoping for! although to be honest I don't need alcohol, a sugar-high is enough for me to start enjoying myself with drunk people!
life is beautiful
(Original post by Joanna May)
Do people at home force you to drink? I'm presuming not. So why would university be any different?
haha good point lol
RJ555
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Joanna May)
No but you get ALOT of "What?! Your don't drink?! Thats so weird!" etc etc :rolleyes:
faber niger
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by life is beautiful)
obviously not the top 10 unis or good unis it is only Kingston Uni
Hey, don't put yourself down -- there's nothing wrong with that! Here on TSR we seem to have a disproportionate number of people with incredible grades. And the rest of us are normal.

Maybe someone from Kingston may come on here and share their experiences of Fresher's Week.

P.S. Did you name yourself after the Italian film of the same name, by any chance? I love that movie!
Teao the Cat
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I dont drink- loved freshers. Lots of other stuff happens other than drinking- registration, and so on. You kind of have to go, other than which, it would be very difficult to get in with your flatmates if you suddenly show up a week late- lots happens in that first week, by the end of it, you feel as if you have known each other for years.
life is beautiful
(Original post by jismith1989)
Hey, don't put yourself down -- there's nothing wrong with that! Here on TSR we seem to have a disproportionate number of people with incredible grades. And the rest of us are normal.

Maybe someone from Kingston may come on here and share their experiences of Fresher's Week.

P.S. Did you name yourself after the Italian film of the same name, by any chance? I love that movie!
Hey thanks lol u made my day cause i always worry about my Uni choice i blame myself for not working hard during my sixthform to get into much better Uni than this

Ps haha sorry i donto have a clue what thta italian movie is about. i named my self just simply
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (542)
37.74%
No - but I will (112)
7.8%
No - I don't want to (98)
6.82%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (684)
47.63%

Watched Threads