The Student Room Group

Boiler not being fixed properly in student flat

Hi, myself and a few of my friends have been renting a flat since the beginning of June and moved in just before the start of uni.

Our boiler has not been working properly since the beginning of this month - we have regularly, and mostly for this month, had limited access to heating and hot water. Our landlord has sent out a heating engineer around about 5 times this month, with the heating only lasting for a little bit at a time (I think we had one week where our boiler worked alright).

Engineers have been out twice this week already but the heating is never fixed properly. We have just been told to reset the boiler ourselves (this only results in boiler working for a couple hours max).

I was just wondering what our rights were and if the landlord has a responsibility for the boiler to be fixed properly, or if we will just be stuck constantly resetting it for the year we stay here?
Original post by emma1807
Hi, myself and a few of my friends have been renting a flat since the beginning of June and moved in just before the start of uni.

Our boiler has not been working properly since the beginning of this month - we have regularly, and mostly for this month, had limited access to heating and hot water. Our landlord has sent out a heating engineer around about 5 times this month, with the heating only lasting for a little bit at a time (I think we had one week where our boiler worked alright).

Engineers have been out twice this week already but the heating is never fixed properly. We have just been told to reset the boiler ourselves (this only results in boiler working for a couple hours max).

I was just wondering what our rights were and if the landlord has a responsibility for the boiler to be fixed properly, or if we will just be stuck constantly resetting it for the year we stay here?

Yes, the landlord has a responsibility to ensure adequate heating and hot water is available, along with a gas safety certificate. However, the landlord is clearly trying to do his bit to get this resolved for you - you say you've had a boilerman out 5 times this month. That isn't the sign of a negligent landlord.

Is the house managed by a rental agency, or do you liaise directly with the landlord? In any case, I think you need to contact whoever manages your tenancy and explain the situation: i.e that this constant tinkering isn't resolving the problem and you need to ensure that you have proper heating and hot water over the winter. If you approach it constructively, rather than defensively, I'm sure they'll want to come to a satisfactory conclusion with you.
It may be worth asking for a reduction on your rent while the problem persists, as you cannot fully utilise the property for which you are pay rent on.
can you speak to the engineer? I had the same problem a few years ago and the engineer told me the boiler clearly needed replacing and nothing else was really gonna fix it long term but the landlord didn't wanna pay for it... well once he'd told me I took that straight to the landlord and told her she knew very well there was only one solution and we needed heating as it was regularly ending up so cold you could see your breath in the house

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending