plagrisim Watch

G_S
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
so my sista has been told she has plagrised in one of her cworks. what action wud they take, she wrote an email explaining to that she didnt reference properly and she did not do it deliberatly and she was sorry.
what wud they do? its the first time this has happened
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Each institution has their different rules but it is taken very seriously (in extreme cases, and I emphasise extreme, expulsion may occur). Also ignorance (or poor referencing) is no defence. It's expected that all students learn how to reference properly and strict guidelines are usually given to all students.

They will probably just give a mark of zero for the work and possibly a warning but, really, it's up to the institution themself.
Goldenratio
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
depends, she might just be able to redo it... i've seen that happen, but it depends on how important the cwork is
crypt0r
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I agree with River85, its down to the institution. Where I go the first instance of plagiarism you got a warning and a few marks docked off, the second you get more marks taken off and another warning but the 3rd time it starts getting more serious. We were told at the beginning of the year that if its serious enough (eg whole paragraphs/essays being plagiarised) then it goes up to the university council to look at and the punishments range from 0 for the essay, 0 for the module, failing the whole year or being asked to leave the uni, but I would assume you would only be asked to leave if you did it repeatedly.

But if its a first time and if shes in first year they would be more lenient. Probably at worst just get a 0 for that essay. First year is the best time to make these kind of mistakes. If she isn't completely sure as to how she plagiarised make sure she asks her lecturer to explain, especially since its the most annoying way to lose marks if you didn't do it intentionally. In my experience lecturers are more than happy to explain things like that.
G_S
Rep:
?
it was 100% cwork and she is in here 3rd year? but still her first time
crypt0r
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
How much did she plagiarise? Like was it just a sentence, an idea or a whole paragraph?
G_S
Rep:
?
she took bits out but put it in quotes but didnt reference it
crypt0r
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ahh, that shouldn't be too bad then. Its still plagiarism but at least she put it in quotes showing that she got it from another source but without referencing it. Its quite an easy mistake to do to quote something and forget to reference it (I've almost done it a few times). I would hope the uni wouldn't be too harsh considering its her first time and she at least got half way to referencing it. Prob just some marks taken off the essay or something like that, shouldn't be too harsh. If it was my decision thats what I would do but then again she just has to wait for the official decision from her uni.
G_S
Rep:
?
thanks for your help
crypt0r
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No problem, hopefully the punishment isn't too bad for her.
G_S
Rep:
?
she also has her graduation ceremony in mid july wud she be able to attend?
crypt0r
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
As long as she passed yes. I doubt they would make her fail the module/degree from one bit of not that major plagiarism. If the worst happens and she gets 35% in that module and shes attended enough classes it would be condoned up to a pass. I think she would be ok with it but again its not my decision have to wait for the university's official one. But she should be ok.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (404)
37.69%
No - but I will (82)
7.65%
No - I don't want to (75)
7%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (511)
47.67%

Watched Threads