The Student Room Group

Study Abroad - Should I Stay or Should I Go?

Hi,

I'm 21 years old and currently studying in Spain for this academic year. I am a Modern Languages student so for me this year is compulsory.

However, there is a 3 year degree in languages that doesn't require the year abroad, just a few more weeks spent here and that would be it.

I'm really struggling with the year abroad and not sure whether to go home or not. I feel like I want to, I've never been away from home for this long or this far, I'm really really close with my family, I've spent every day crying and I'm getting so stressed and upset about everything that I'm not managing to complete all the work or study anyway.

The education system here is completely different to what I'm used to and a lot harder than at home, not to mention everything is taught in Spanish.

I've been here 8 weeks now and I'm still crying every day, even today I haven't done any work because of it. But I don't want to go home and regret it.

Any advice?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

I'm 21 years old and currently studying in Spain for this academic year. I am a Modern Languages student so for me this year is compulsory.

However, there is a 3 year degree in languages that doesn't require the year abroad, just a few more weeks spent here and that would be it.

I'm really struggling with the year abroad and not sure whether to go home or not. I feel like I want to, I've never been away from home for this long or this far, I'm really really close with my family, I've spent every day crying and I'm getting so stressed and upset about everything that I'm not managing to complete all the work or study anyway.

The education system here is completely different to what I'm used to and a lot harder than at home, not to mention everything is taught in Spanish.

I've been here 8 weeks now and I'm still crying every day, even today I haven't done any work because of it. But I don't want to go home and regret it.

Any advice?

Just do the pros and cons then make a decision about whats best for you.
If you havent done any work you are behind.
What do parents and people who know you say?
What do other students whove done it say? Its not uncommon it can be very tough.
Presumably youve spent too much time being upset so have isolated yourself and made limited friends?

No point destroying your degree. Have you talked to your uni? Do you want to stay?
Could you last till Christmas?
If its all too much then go home and if you cant do the new year now, then take a gap?
Is there any support either there or from home uni?

In theory
pros

Language exposure and expertise- no good if you arent doing any work.
Friends and experience of country you are studying.- no good if you have hid and not interacted.
Improved marketability.- no good if you fail

Cons
Unhappy and crying.
Dont like the work/ cant cope= stressful.
May contribute to you doing poorly or failing the year.- maybe better to return home.

Try and see what support you can get.
You are gong to have to make an effort with friends and work unless you say to yourself you cant cope and get it confirmed with a friend you trust. Its not uncommon for students to find it hard.
Hey. Sorry to hear you're going through it :frown:

As above, a pro and con list would be a good start.
What do you like about it? From your post, it doesn't seem like much.

To me, personally, it sounds like you've given it a try for 8 weeks and it may be time to call it quits. I would go with your option of the degree that forces you to stay there for a few more weeks and then head home, unless I'm misreading. Let me know!

Best of luck on your situation, hope you feel better!!!
Joshua :biggrin:
Reply 3
Hi,

Any advice?

Hi, I too am in the same situation as you been on erasmus in Spain almost 10 weeks and I’m seriously considering coming home for good. Can I ask which part of Spain you’re in?

I’ve been really stressed out over trying to keep up with the work load and have really struggled to find any real friends, doesn’t help that I’m an introvert. I’ve reached out to my lecturers who have given me an extension on some work but I still think that I could fail my exams. I’m embarrassed to be even considering going home as my family made such a big deal out of me leaving even throwing me a going away party and I’m just worried how shameful it would be. Being so far from home on my own is hard on my mental health but I fear returning home and knowing people will be talking about me not being able to stick out the full year abroad may be even more detrimental to my mental health. Feel like I’m stuck in a catch 22 atm
Sorry but I have to Only 80’s kids and stranger things fans will know this
Darling, you got to let me know
Should I stay or should I go?
If you say that you are mine
I'll be here 'til the end of time
So you got to let me know
It's always tease, tease, tease
You're happy when I'm on my knees
One day it's fine and next it's black
So if you want me off your back
Well, come on and let me know
Should I stay or should I go now?
Should I stay or should I go now?
If I go, there will be trouble
And if I stay it will be double
So come on and let me know
Hi,

Any advice?

Hey, I have spent a year abroad and it was an amazing experience. I made a YouTube video about it so check out my channel ➡️ chatwithcharlotte
(edited 4 years ago)
I did a semester and had a great time however it had its ups and downs it was like doing first year again but on steroids. I had the whole home sickness plus culture and academic difference. And yeah there were days when I wanted to come home but days I wanted to transfer there permanently.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending