Do I have a chance of getting into Oxbridge?

Watch
dramastudent04
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
I'm highly interested in studying Law at Oxbridge. At the moment, I'm in Year 11 and I have my GCSE'S in the summer and my predicted grades are: English Lit and Lang: 7 , Maths: 6 , Spanish: 7, German: 7, Drama: 8, Geography: 7. Double Science: 5/6. Given that I probably won't get any 9s will this affect my application and give me less of a chance of getting in?
Any response regarding anything I've said would be very helpful.
AstronomerGirl
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Well, it depends on how everyone else in your school does at GCSE; if your grades are higher than average at your school then they will take that into account and you will have a higher chance of getting in. You also need to pick the right subjects for the course you are aiming to do. Your A-levels matter more than your GCSEs, and if you show interest in your subject by doing related extracurricular activities, and reading up on the subject, that will definitely enhance your application. Good Luck
Lubz_04
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Keep in mind there are people who tank their GCSEs but SMASH their A-Levels. Oxbridge, although they don't give out contextual offers, do take into account contextual data when providing an interview. You don't NEED all 9s/8s to get in, your a level predicted grades and AS grades matter a whole lot more than GCSEs. Admissions tutors themselves will tell you that they do look at GCSEs but it's not the determining factor at all, they also wouldn't want someone whos completely perfect, they want someone they can teach not someone who knows EVERYTHING. If you're feeling discouraged still I'd recommend maybe checking out people like "Ibz Mo" on youtube who did not that great in theit GCSEs but amazingly in their A-Levels and still got into Cambridge and graduated.
ahmedh7989
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
It depends on whether you want to go to Oxford or Cambridge. Oxford looks at your GCSEs more than Cambrdige does, so you may have a better chance of applying there. Then again, GCSEs are only a tiny part in the grand scheme of things, and things like your interview, A-level predicted grades and admission exam results are far more important. Also, it's important to remember your GCSE predicted grades are not always reflective of your actual GCSEs; a lot of my friends found they did a lot better than what they were predicted. Plus Oxbridge do not differentiate between 8s and 9s, so getting a few 8s could go a long way. Hope this helps
username5008580
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
As said, A levels matter the most but you should always aim to get the highest grades at GCSEs. Showing good GCSE grades gives evidence of work ethic. That being said, most successful applicants to Oxbridge have got mainly A*-A in their GCSEs. And anyway, apart from getting good examination results, Oxbridge want to see your passion for the course you want. My predicted are all 9 and 8s currently (It should be higher by exam time) but I won't have a chance on grades alone. They want you to show fascination in the course you want and the way to do that is by participating in super-curricular activities. That's why some people who get perfect grades do not get in but others with slightly less so perfect grades do get in. If you do something amazing in your interest, it will help make up for your grades.It's still early in the year so I suggest you work hard and get the best possible grades at GCSE you indivually can. Surpassing expectations will show your diligent nature. I've already surpassed my 'should get' grades by a lot, in some subjects by 2-3 grades. That will give me an advantage.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (68)
14.81%
I'm not sure (16)
3.49%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (154)
33.55%
I have already dropped out (8)
1.74%
I'm not a current university student (213)
46.41%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed