The Student Room Group

Gun speed camera

Can anyone tell me please I have been caught speeding 34mph instead of 30mph by hidden police car with gun speed camera what should I expect I am worried has anyone have been in this situation
Reply 1
Original post by Ishanullah
Can anyone tell me please I have been caught speeding 34mph instead of 30mph by hidden police car with gun speed camera what should I expect I am worried has anyone have been in this situation

No you haven't.

Fine and points or SAC if you're offered it.
Reply 3
If you have been caught you will get the letter within 14 working days (I e. Monday to Friday are working days)

If this happens you then go to a police station where they will deal with you. If you have a good attitude towards them and you weren't taking the proverbial with the speed you were doing they MIGHT (note the emphasis on that word) offer you a speed awareness course as opposed to a fine and points.

After that the best you can do is take it on the chin and learn from your mistake
Original post by Y333EEE
If you have been caught you will get the letter within 14 working days (I e. Monday to Friday are working days)

If this happens you then go to a police station where they will deal with you. If you have a good attitude towards them and you weren't taking the proverbial with the speed you were doing they MIGHT (note the emphasis on that word) offer you a speed awareness course as opposed to a fine and points.

After that the best you can do is take it on the chin and learn from your mistake

What no, the police station will tell you to piss off.

There's no haggling entitlement to a SAC, you either get offered it or you don't when you hear back from them.

Also, weekends and bank holidays are also included in the 14 day NIP rule (bearing in mind there are some exclusions to the rule).

Brush up on the facts.
Reply 5
Original post by RoyalSheepy
There's no haggling entitlement to a SAC, you either get offered it or you don't when you hear back from them.

You didn't read it did you! I was saying that if you go in there with a good attitude it may sway their descison
Original post by Y333EEE
You didn't read it did you! I was saying that if you go in there with a good attitude it may sway their descison

Are you talking from personal experience of having been caught speeding? In the UK?

If so, please tell us the story.
Original post by Y333EEE

What are you on then?

This is not how it works lmao
Reply 8
Original post by IWMTom
No you haven't.

exactly
Reply 9
I am presuming you were not stopped at the roadside. If you know your car's speedometer was reading 34mph the chances are you were actually going about 32mph (most over read), unless you are in a zero tolerance area it is highly unlikely you will get into any trouble. They may look at how long you have had your licence and if you have any previous motoring offences before deciding on a penalty.

First offences only slightly over the limit are normally dealt with by a speed awareness course.
Reply 10
Original post by Y333EEE

You cannot go into a police station and haggle a speeding ticket lol.

Most likely nothing will happen, however, this depends on the area. For example, my area in London allows a 10% leeway plus +2 mph. Unless it's a school zone or something like that.

If your area does not have a leeway then you'll get 3 points on your license and a fine, they may offer you a SAC that will then mean no points and no fine if you take it.

To be honest a lot of police might not be bothered if your going 4 mph over the speed limit
Reply 13
No nothings gonna happen lol.
Around here atleast the traffic coppers do sit around with speed guns while in their cars but they give chase and attempt to pull you over if they deem you are going too fast.

This thread is quite funny, lets all go down to the station and haggle our speeding tickets :rolleyes:. Being offered a speed awareness course VS points has different factors including speed you were going & the actual "policy" set by the local police force but no not going into the station with a good attitude...

Quick Reply

Latest