British grand prix to be staged at donnington :O Watch

Bear_Grylls
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
just read this on the bbc - The FIA have announced that the British Grand Prix is to be staged at Donington Park from 2010.

:eek: dissapointing, i always enjoy going to silverstone
moneyballs2
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
More details from Donnington themselves:

http://www.donington-park.co.uk/even...ws?news_id=133
El Stevo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
donnington isn't big enough! surely it needs expanding? although redgate craner and the old hairpin are an immense section of track.
izaldo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Amazing. Boss track.
Dionysus
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah I think they've decided it's an easier location to develop into a modern track.
El Stevo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Dionysus)
Yeah I think they've decided it's an easier location to develop into a modern track.
apparently donny have a 5 year plan. there's stackloads of room to expand the track, especially between mcleans and the esses. hopefully they will do something to the melbourne loop too, as that is ****. only added to make the track grand prix length.
izaldo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
How far do you think they will go on the development front? Like Fuji?!
PoisonDonna
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Woahhhhh. Having been to Donny and Silverstone, I prefer Donington tbh, but for an F1 track? ;no; Serious improvements will need to be made, but I'm sure there will be.

As I said in the other thread, Silverstone never really excites me, but it's not a bad race really.

Closer to me though, never a bad thing :ninja:
Luize
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Can't believe it's going to move! There will be nothing stopping me from going to silverstone next year now!
There is a lot of work to be done at donington.
El Stevo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Fuji was completely rebuilt - there isn't the time nor inclination for that though. Fuji won its race on the back of it being rebuilt and fully modernised etc, I seriously doubt Donny were going to rebuild whether they got F1 or not. Donny also needs a lot more stands... even the ones on the start straight are temporary scaffolding. On the spectator front because it's in a bowl, you can see a lot of the track from pretty much anywhere except the Melbourne loop. I think they'll want to maintain that so I can see them adding an infield-type structure to it. Make Starkey's a hairpin - increase overtaking, then I guess charge back down the hill before easing into a sweeping left hander to join back at McLeans, maybe reworking this section and Coppiceby adding a bubble loop to help the flow of the track. I'd get rid of the Chicane onto the Melbourne loop and make that the back straight. Could probably then keep the loop as it is.
RoadWarrior
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think it was time for a change, and Silverstone never was the most exciting track, so lets see how Donnington goes
wizard710
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah, means it is easier for me to get to
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I was like "wtf" when I heard about Donnington. At the moment I can't see how it could be better than Silverstone, but we shall see.
Untitled258
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Woah, isnt donny way to short for a track? Its not exacrtly the longest track on the face of the planet.

They will need to do a lot of work to get it up to what they expect of F1 these days. Its a shame i absolutly adore silverstone.

Closer for me to get to though i guess.
SuperDaz
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Woo, so easy for me to get to :champ:

although I thought it was a bit small? The laps would be like a minute, lol
El Stevo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by SuperDaz)
Woo, so easy for me to get to :champ:

although I thought it was a bit small? The laps would be like a minute, lol
they are expanding it.. on rFactor i did the full circuit in an 07 BMW Sauber in like 1 min 7 - it's tiny!
Captain Biggles
Badges: 2
Report 10 years ago
Ack, it's a bike track, and should remain that way. Silverstone is the quintessential British racing track, even if it's boring to race on. Meh.
thomasp
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I pity all the poor people who are trying to fly out of East Midlands airport on the British GP weekends once it moves to Donnington, considering they both share the only road off the M1 at that point...

I notice how pretty much everything that Bernie has criticised Silverstone for over the years (pits/paddock, parking, vehicle access, facilities, etc), Donnington needs to rectify - in just two years.
El Stevo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Donnington has private backers, as opposed to a gentleman's club.
Hanoi
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Donnington is a great track, I'm happy, Silverstone has become a bit of a farce lately which isn't the track's fault but it's the aerodynamics of the cars, so the race just becomes a borefest like Magny Cours..
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (490)
37.69%
No - but I will (100)
7.69%
No - I don't want to (88)
6.77%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (622)
47.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise