Govt & Politics Watch

Shask
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Any comments on this subject, from people with experience? How do universities see it for degrees such as law/economics?
tucker672
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
"limited suitability" is what cambridge says.

But it certainly isnt a black listed subject
The West Wing
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by tucker672)
"limited suitability" is what cambridge says.

But it certainly isnt a black listed subject
No... it's what Trinity College Cambridge (probably the most backwards and pretentious of all the colleges) says for _certain subjects_. It's a fine subject to have for applying for those subjects and the constitutional element of the course is very useful for Law.
crypt0r
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I did it and thought it was a really good subject and I really liked it. Gave a decent incite into how the US and UK govs work and also the political systems of the world both past and present and the theories they are based on. I found it really interesting to do and kind of easy as well but that was mainly due to my interest in it.
I dont know how universities see it for certain but I have been told by my teachers (he was head of history and politics in my school and also the teacher who helped with ucas stuff) that it was seen on power with history as a subject because of the analysis and learning involved. Also because it is very heavily essay based (I did about 5 essays throughout the year and in the exam had 2 or 3 to do but that was a year ago so I might be slightly wrong) it shouldn't put you at any disadvantage for law/economics.
tucker672
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by The West Wing)
No... it's what Trinity College Cambridge (probably the most backwards and pretentious of all the colleges) says for _certain subjects_. It's a fine subject to have for applying for those subjects and the constitutional element of the course is very useful for Law.
I am not putting it down in any way but to me it will be the "softest" of my 4 subjects. And I want to go inot a politically economically degree:

PPE at Oxford.

And I am taking Maths, History, Philosophy and Politics.

Grant
wmv94226
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
<Deleted>
tucker672
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by hldomster)
Make sure you know what A2 route your sixth form does. I did political ideologies for A2, and it was a bit dry, but very useful for those going on to do a straight politics degree or political history. The other routes are british politics, comparative US and UK politics and international relations. The most popular route is ideologies, and there are a couple of good text books available for it.

The AS level was more enejoyable and easier for me (300/300 UMS ). I would definately recommend taking it.
I'm doing British Politics this year and then american politics next year ( I really wanted to do Ideologies)

But it sounds fun
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm doing British Politics this year, no idea what I'm doing next year though, hopefully American.
imomo16
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm really enjoying, for AS my school did British politics and in year 13 we'll be doing American, which is awesome because hopefully we'll get to go on a trip to Washington DC and New York!
I find it really interesting and not too difficult (99/100 january unit UMS :love:)
Shask
Ok cool, thanks for the great replyz. Am I right in saying politics isn't very popular? Not in a pejorative manner, but that it's simply not commonly offered at places of education?

Here's my situation: GCSEs are over and, looking into the black hole of post-6th form, I think I'd like studying economics or law. After that - call me boring - but I'd like a career in civil service. My A-Level choices so far are Maths (Pretty much definitely), Economics (I'd like this too, I've looked at past papers and it looks good), English Lit (I like English), and then Computing (I've a genuine interest in computers and I reckon I'd be damn good at it).

But frustratingly enough, politics looks like it would fit into my future pretty damn well. Any tips? Reckon it could be studied as an extra? Don't flame me for this, but I think on August 21st I'll find out, inherently, whether I'm a top-grade university candidate, and if not, then I doubt it would matter too much (what I'm trying to say is, applying for Oxbridge you need every advantage you can muster, whereas applying for Liverpool (where I live) it won't matter as much)
imomo16
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think Politics would probably be more respected by Oxbridge than Computing, but if you enjoy it then go for it!

Btw, even if you didn't do fantastically at GCSE it doesn't have to stop you from applying to Oxbridge. I only got 2.5 A*s and I'm applying, they look at your overall academic achievements so if you do really well at AS it should balance out the less than wonderful GCSEs.
Norfolkadam
Badges: 15
Report 10 years ago
Do it, do it, do it, do it.

I did and I love it. The best course I've ever done. You learn so much and it gives you a great understanding of how the political system works. The AS course is a great set up for a Law degree or Social sciences or something like that.
Mr Nonsense
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It is supposed to be (i'm in same year as you but from people i have spoken to) a really enjoyable, wide-ranging and stimulating course. Go for it IMO!

I agree that oxbridge would prefer politics to computing
Chruchill
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by tucker672)
I'm doing British Politics this year and then american politics next year ( I really wanted to do Ideologies)

But it sounds fun
I'm going to be doing Ideologies next year but wanted to do US, want to swap? :p:
__natalie__
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i loved it. i would definitely recommend doing it.

but yeah, you're right. not many people do it, in our year of 1000(ish) people, there were about 40 who did AS and then about 30 who did it at A2.

so DO IT.

(plus, at our college, the computing students hated the amount of coursework they had to do. something to maybe bear in mind?)
tucker672
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Chruchill)
I'm going to be doing Ideologies next year but wanted to do US, want to swap? :p:
please? :p:

what ideologies are you doing?
highachiever
Report 10 years ago
does anyone know any chemistry videos, to learn from at A level?

thx....
Shask
Ok, well so far this thread has really swayed me. I'm now thinking of dropping English Lit, because I really want to do computing. So that's Maths, Economics, Politics and Computing, sound good for a legal career? Or is Lit > Politics?

By the way, I know that in politics A2 we study U.S. politics. And Natalie, this probably sounds odd but I actually like coursework - it's like a way to gain a free 100% to go into your exam with :P
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Remember though Shask, they are taking out a lot of the coursework in the new A-Levels. So check if your 6th form would be doing a coursework option for Computing.
wmv94226
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
For the record, the AS course is the same for everyone no matter what route you take in A2 (for Edexcel anyway).

AS
Unit 1 People and politics
Unit 2 Governing the UK
Unit 3 The changing UK system

A2 – one of routes A, B, C or D
Route A Key Political Issues
Route B Political Ideologies
Route C Politics in the USA
Route D International Politics
Taken from the specificiation on the Edexcel website.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (315)
37.77%
No - but I will (64)
7.67%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.43%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (393)
47.12%

Watched Threads