Problems with Student Finance might have to leave course :(

Watch
AmyE
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi

I'm on the second module of an OU course, when the first module finished I had something pop up on my OU page to reapply for student finance. I called Student Finance to ask if I needed to apply, they said no and that as it was a 'change in circumstances' and that the OU had to confirm I was doing the course. I have spoken to the OU who have said they'll confirm, and it is on my OU profile that they have confirmed to Student Finance that I'm doing the module. I didn't hear anything from Student Finance so I called them again asking about it, they said they need a 'change in circumstances form' which I have asked the OU for and they have said they have sent... Student Finance say they haven't received anything. I've been trying to sort this out since July, and I've been speaking to other people on my course who have already had confirmation of the award letter (in July) and payment this week. I haven't had a letter and I am seriously starting to panic because we get some housing benefit towards our rent, who are asking for evidence of my student finance for this year and as I can't give it to them.. I'm worried they are going to stop the housing benefit, in which case I'll have to leave the course to claim the full amount of housing benefit again, and I really don't want to do that.
RoyalSheepy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by AmyE)
Hi

I'm on the second module of an OU course, when the first module finished I had something pop up on my OU page to reapply for student finance. I called Student Finance to ask if I needed to apply, they said no and that as it was a 'change in circumstances' and that the OU had to confirm I was doing the course. I have spoken to the OU who have said they'll confirm, and it is on my OU profile that they have confirmed to Student Finance that I'm doing the module. I didn't hear anything from Student Finance so I called them again asking about it, they said they need a 'change in circumstances form' which I have asked the OU for and they have said they have sent... Student Finance say they haven't received anything. I've been trying to sort this out since July, and I've been speaking to other people on my course who have already had confirmation of the award letter (in July) and payment this week. I haven't had a letter and I am seriously starting to panic because we get some housing benefit towards our rent, who are asking for evidence of my student finance for this year and as I can't give it to them.. I'm worried they are going to stop the housing benefit, in which case I'll have to leave the course to claim the full amount of housing benefit again, and I really don't want to do that.
Hi,

I'm a bit confused. Are you a second year student which didn't re-apply for Student Finance? Or are you just first year?

If you did apply, did you apply within the deadline? To get your money in time, you would've had to apply within the deadline.

The proof letter of confirmation comes within 6 weeks of applying, so I'm not sure why you've not received it if you did apply within the deadline.

I'd advise explaining your circumstances to SFW if you haven't already.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (591)
34.02%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (720)
41.45%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (347)
19.98%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.55%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise