Maths AS Oversubscribed!! Watch

Resok
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hi,

So after my other threads about maths, I phoned up my college about a month ago and asked if I could swap music for maths, they said yes, you can do that on induction. So I had my induction today, and now they tell me its too oversubscribed! They also said they doubt I'd be able to take it at enrolment.

So, I'll probably take a extra AS at enrolment, or I might just leave it and do 3 A2's and an AS next year, would that work?

Also, is it possible to take subjects in around October? Because maths has quite a high drop out rate, so I'd be happy to drop the extra AS to apply for it, if thats possible to do in college?

Thanks.
Valkyrja
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Wait until october....at least two or three people will have dropped out.

You can ask to speak to the maths lecturer and just say that you have " a passion for the subject" They'll probs help elbow you in as ...due to my experience I can assure you that admissions/admin staff are usually not in communication with the actual lecturers....
Valkyrja
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ooops didnt read the whole of your post.

Yes yes it is....

but not after the end of novemeber generallly....
WOLLSMOTH
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
you should be able to self teach the first maths module- c1
unsung_hero
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Resok)
Hi,

So after my other threads about maths, I phoned up my college about a month ago and asked if I could swap music for maths, they said yes, you can do that on induction. So I had my induction today, and now they tell me its too oversubscribed! They also said they doubt I'd be able to take it at enrolment.

So, I'll probably take a extra AS at enrolment, or I might just leave it and do 3 A2's and an AS next year, would that work?

Also, is it possible to take subjects in around October? Because maths has quite a high drop out rate, so I'd be happy to drop the extra AS to apply for it, if thats possible to do in college?

Thanks.
yeah keep with maths. People will drop out. My brother took maths up in Jan this year round and had no problem with it. C1 is very simple and easy so you can proberly learn it yourself to keep up to date with the class for when people drop out. Also ask the teachers as they might just let you in. Another thing is that people may change their mind over the summer or not get the grades so their could be places.
Resok
Rep:
?
Yeah thats what I was thinking, but the admin guy was having none of it.
Allright, thanks guys, I'm gonna order some maths books for the summer anyway, and do as much work on it as I can until I get in.

Also, I've talked to a few people I know who were doing maths there and they said they're not even going there now, so thats a
few places freed up.
Resok
Rep:
?
Sorry, one last thing, what revision guides/text books are worth getting for self teaching?
schrodinger's cat
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Do you know what board your school does? If Edexcel i would recommend the Heinemann ones.

E.g. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mathematics-...5171934&sr=8-2
Ekpyrotic
Report 10 years ago
What about just turning up to the lessons?

If their say "go away", just say "I'll use the hall for private study". I'd do that until they let me in.
Resok
Rep:
?
Thanks, that looks great.
Resok
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ekpyrotic)
What about just turning up to the lessons?

If their say "go away", just say "I'll use the hall for private study". I'd do that until they let me in.
Lol, yeah could work, guess that shows true determination!

I'm just gonna be there early enough on enrolment to try and get it. I'll just say I put maths as a reserve, and when they say its not there ill just blame it on my interviewer. Thats how people I know actually got into the college, they said that applied when they hadn't, then they got a place.
wanderlust.xx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Do maths outside of school. Private enrollement. Then do FM with the school if you need it, next year.
trance addict
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Resok)
Thats how people I know actually got into the college, they said that applied when they hadn't, then they got a place.

wtf..?
Ekpyrotic
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by trance addict)
wtf..?
This happened in my school as well.
wanderlust.xx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Gotta love ******ed administration.

No, seriously - just turn up to the lessons, or do it outside of school with a tutor. Then do it all clumped in one year. Not hard if you're doing just Maths; if you're doing FM too, it might pose a problem.
Charlybob
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Ekpyrotic)
And if they don't let you in, then you've wasted a hell of a lot of time becuase you won't be in for the exams either.
schrodinger's cat
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Charlybob)
And if they don't let you in, then you've wasted a hell of a lot of time becuase you won't be in for the exams either.
They can't stop him from taking the exams externally. It won't take much to self teach the AS.
Ekpyrotic
Report 10 years ago
I done that for one of my subjects. Waited outside the lesson for 'round three week. They'll let you in eventually.
Muppety_Kid
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Charlybob)
Pardon? Why couldn't OP teach themselves Maths AS and enter the exam through the college, if they can't get a place in a class? It's not that difficult, the first module C1 is just like GCSE Maths really.

Anyway OP, if you do do Edexcel at your college, the Heinemann books are endorsed by Edexcel, and they seem to be the ones most colleges use. However, you might need to come back to us here for clarification - I've found the worked examples are sometimes quite difficult to understand. It's hard to tell if they've skipped a few steps, or if there's a typo! :p:
Resok
Rep:
?
Allright thanks guys, I guess Ill make use of my EMA properly and look into a tutor. I'm sure I'll eventually get a place, but I'll probably have to do C1 myself.
And thanks for that book reccomendation, just ordered it now.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (219)
39.32%
No - but I will (38)
6.82%
No - I don't want to (37)
6.64%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (263)
47.22%

Watched Threads