blondey blonde highlights Watch

happinessxo
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
hey, i just booked myself in to have a full head of highlights at a posh salon for a treat, it's going to be expensive but i'm nervous about having my hair done and hope it will be worth it. i really want to go blonde, but a natural sunkissed sort of blonde, not a bleached blonde. are highlights a good way to achieve this? i had highlights once when i was 14 and then got sick of them because everyone had them, so dyed my hair dark brown...since then it's been black, red, dark, had bad streaks in, just about everything. i cut it off and now it's my natural colour, mousy brown. i thought i could keep highlights updated quite easily and easily put more in to make my hair blonder etc.

uno problem is that i'm getting it done the day after i get back from holiday (going to greece for a week), so my hair will probably be lighter and easier to make blondey, but will it be too damaged to colour? i'm going to avoid chlorine as much as possible and try not to straighten my hair or anything and wear a hat and use lots of conditioner...
Tufts
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What colour is your hair at the mo/naturally?
happinessxo
Rep:
?
it's back to it's natural colour, mousy brown
-M$ [email protected]
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What i say is go for thin streaks of blonde colour.
MediterraneanX
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
when on holiday wash your hair in tap water before going in the swimming pool, the chlorine can't get into it then
watermelon sugar
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
get a mix of colours in? get some light brown, golden blonde, all really thin.
a good salon should hopefully be able to help you get that look though
Tufts
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
no streaks ;no;
Audrey Hepburn
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
That's exactly what I'm doing and my hair's fine so far and I really like the way it looks - I haven't done much different with it either, just used colour protect shampoo and conditioner. I still straighten my hair loads. My profile pic is after my first set of the highlights, I'm much blonder now.
love2learn
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by happinessxo)
hey, i just booked myself in to have a full head of highlights at a posh salon for a treat, it's going to be expensive but i'm nervous about having my hair done and hope it will be worth it. i really want to go blonde, but a natural sunkissed sort of blonde, not a bleached blonde. are highlights a good way to achieve this? i had highlights once when i was 14 and then got sick of them because everyone had them, so dyed my hair dark brown...since then it's been black, red, dark, had bad streaks in, just about everything. i cut it off and now it's my natural colour, mousy brown. i thought i could keep highlights updated quite easily and easily put more in to make my hair blonder etc.

uno problem is that i'm getting it done the day after i get back from holiday (going to greece for a week), so my hair will probably be lighter and easier to make blondey, but will it be too damaged to colour? i'm going to avoid chlorine as much as possible and try not to straighten my hair or anything and wear a hat and use lots of conditioner...
Shouldn't be too damaged. But do use deep conditioners, and keep it up once coloured, because blonde is notorious for going dry. You can also get many lotions and potions to protect hair from heat and sun damage. I'm using a Citre Shine serum for it at the moment, but know that Charles Worthington does one, Kerastase, and their must be some mainstream brands too. They work wonders. And unless you're planning to bake in it, a week's sun wouldn't do too much damage anyway. Oh, if you're sunbathing, you could put conditioner through your hair and then sunbathe. When you wash it out, protected hair AND superconditioned . I think that would make it win win!!!!

Edit:

Oh, and get a range of colours through it if you can (talking lowlights and highlights), it will help it look a lot more natural. Also, honey shades of blonde look best through the more mousey shades I find. White blonde can look tacky and obvious (I'm guessing this is what all the girls at school had - same at mine!) and is too much of a colour difference without bringing out some of the blonde in your natural shade. Also, use colour protect products after dying - makes the world of difference!
love2learn
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by MediterraneanX)
when on holiday wash your hair in tap water before going in the swimming pool, the chlorine can't get into it then
It still can. It's pesky stuff. Just lessens it a little, and also depends on how long you're in the chlorine for unfortunately. I swear by massive quantities of conditioner in my hair before I swim to avoid getting it all chlorinated
electro_girl
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
hey! i see your from wales! the posh salon ur going to wouldnt be in cardiff would it?
happinessxo
Rep:
?
yup yup it would, saks in cardiff haha. i've heard excellent things about it
electro_girl
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
oh! i had my highlights done in there! really expensive like £80 for a full head of highlights!! they are really good tho!!
happinessxo
Rep:
?
do they charge you for the cut and the blow dry separately? i dont mind paying 80 quid for highlights and even an extra 40 quid for a good cut, but dont want to have to pay extra for a blow dry...i've got a discount though so its not too bad
electro_girl
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
yeh they do charge you for the blowdry but if you say you want like a non stylist to do it then they dont charge you! i'd recommend this though because in my eyes a blow dry is a blow dry whoever does it!!
happinessxo
Rep:
?
i can't believe they do that! i mean i would expect a blowdry if i was already paying that much to get the colour...oh well! doesn't cut and finish include a blowdry? because my sister booked in for a cut the same time as me and she won't be happy if it's £40 for the cut and £20 for the blowdry
electro_girl
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
hmmm im not sure if the blowdry is included in a cut and finish but its definitely not included in the colour! i know the prices are extortionate but they do do a really good job in colouring ur hair.

what i would do is say to your stylist that u dont wana pay extra for a blow dry whilst they are doing ur hair and they'll say that they'll get one of the helpers to blow dry ur hair (helpers being thos people that shampoo ur hair and sweep hair off the floor) and then the blow dry is free!! thats why i did anyway and i didnt have to pay extra for the blowdry
happinessxo
Rep:
?
oooh cool, thanks! i dont want to end up paying like £140, i mean i want a really good colour but at the end of the day im just a student...£80 for the colour sounds reasonable if they do a really good job i reckon, but £40 for a cut and then £20 for a blowdry is just a bit too much.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (329)
37.3%
No - but I will (71)
8.05%
No - I don't want to (63)
7.14%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (419)
47.51%

Watched Threads