The Student Room Group

Dissertation stress

It’s now week 6 weeks and I still don’t know what I’m doing with my dissertation. I’ve been given no help from my supervisor, the only thing she has done is given me the question, that’s it and I’m not exaggerating. Meeting with her have been pointless. I’m struggling with the structure, I have to look at YouTube videos for help. I have to present in 6 weeks and I don’t even understand the topic. I went to the head and she just told me to book a meeting and talk to my supervisor when she is back. I’m awake till 3 every night, I’m scared becuse she is also a harsh marker and I cannot sleep at night. Also if I don’t do good then I cannot even appeal because they will just think I didn’t put enough effort in when I am really trying. What can I do?
Original post by Kdog21
It’s now week 6 weeks and I still don’t know what I’m doing with my dissertation. I’ve been given no help from my supervisor, the only thing she has done is given me the question, that’s it and I’m not exaggerating. Meeting with her have been pointless. I’m struggling with the structure, I have to look at YouTube videos for help. I have to present in 6 weeks and I don’t even understand the topic. I went to the head and she just told me to book a meeting and talk to my supervisor when she is back. I’m awake till 3 every night, I’m scared becuse she is also a harsh marker and I cannot sleep at night. Also if I don’t do good then I cannot even appeal because they will just think I didn’t put enough effort in when I am really trying. What can I do?

What happens during your meetings with her? What do you talk about? How often do you meet?

You need to be proactive. Go to your study skills department and discuss what a dissertation should include and how it should be structured. Talk through with your supervisor and any other relevant lecturers about the topic, and what exactly is expected of you. Break down the question and do literature searches based on the key words or areas in it. Make sure you know what you have to present and be clear what you're going to say.
Reply 2
Original post by PhoenixFortune
What happens during your meetings with her? What do you talk about? How often do you meet?

You need to be proactive. Go to your study skills department and discuss what a dissertation should include and how it should be structured. Talk through with your supervisor and any other relevant lecturers about the topic, and what exactly is expected of you. Break down the question and do literature searches based on the key words or areas in it. Make sure you know what you have to present and be clear what you're going to say.

Thanks, but our meetings are literally 10 mins, I planned out the intro like she told me to and when I told her she was basically like ok, cut a bit out. I ask her a few questions if different articles say different things about like a protien for example and she tells me which is right. We meet every week, last week she wasn’t in, but it’s pointless. She didn’t even explain the results to me properly. I booked a meeting with the study skills people next week, but still I’m really lost. And the topic is literally on her research, so she does know all about it, so it’s not like she can’t help.
Original post by Kdog21
Thanks, but our meetings are literally 10 mins, I planned out the intro like she told me to and when I told her she was basically like ok, cut a bit out. I ask her a few questions if different articles say different things about like a protien for example and she tells me which is right. We meet every week, last week she wasn’t in, but it’s pointless. She didn’t even explain the results to me properly. I booked a meeting with the study skills people next week, but still I’m really lost. And the topic is literally on her research, so she does know all about it, so it’s not like she can’t help.

The thing is, once you get the point of doing your dissertation, your supervisor is going to treat you like an independent learner. They aren't going to spoon feed you through the process. If you don't understand something, read around it until you do. I know it might seem frustrating, but you also need to ask the right questions of your supervisor too. Don't just go into the meetings saying "I don't know what to do/what should I do?", you need to be specific about what you need help with. You also must have been given a rubric/structure guide at some point, so make sure you're following that closely.
Reply 4
Original post by PhoenixFortune
The thing is, once you get the point of doing your dissertation, your supervisor is going to treat you like an independent learner. They aren't going to spoon feed you through the process. If you don't understand something, read around it until you do. I know it might seem frustrating, but you also need to ask the right questions of your supervisor too. Don't just go into the meetings saying "I don't know what to do/what should I do?", you need to be specific about what you need help with. You also must have been given a rubric/structure guide at some point, so make sure you're following that closely.

Thank you, but I’m not expecting spoon feeding just help. I was not given any structure or guide at all, just how many words to put in the introduction, results, discussion...in the fyp lecture on the first day back.
Original post by Kdog21
Thank you, but I’m not expecting spoon feeding just help. I was not given any structure or guide at all, just how many words to put in the introduction, results, discussion...in the fyp lecture on the first day back.

that's normal, this is meant to be YOUR work

you might get better results if you have concrete questions or a draft for her to comment on, it sounds like she is actually answering straight forward questions, she just isn't telling you what to do... so write a draft and ask her for feedback or at least come up with some clear questions

you can also ask coursemates for advice on things like structure

finally, she probably won't mark it as your supervisor... typically it would be anonymised and marked by at least 2 other lecturers
Hey!

Have you tried asking these specific questions? What about an email, or something like that to point you in the right direction?
Other thread posters aren't wrong, a dissertation is supposed to be your own project, and you are expected to know how to handle a lot of it by yourself.
If there's certain things you need to know, make a list and bring them to your supervisor.
I currently don't have one yet, but I am gearing up to start my dissertation in January.

Is it a case that you aren't asking what you genuinely need?
Joshua

Quick Reply

Latest