How competitive is Actuarial Science and Mathematics? Watch

username202340
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
What grades did you get to get accepted to do Actuarial Science and Mathematics at Southampton.

For GCSE I got 3A* 2A 3B 1F. For AS I think I will get AAAB for Maths and Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Biology respectively. For A Level I should get AAA in Maths and Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics. I will also take economics next year as a new AS, maybe get an A in that. I will also do some work experience. What other things can I do to increase my chances?

What are my chances of getting in?
Mustard-man
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by singh246)
What grades did you get to get accepted to do Actuarial Science and Mathematics at Southampton.

For GCSE I got 3A* 2A 3B 1F. For AS I think I will get AAAB for Maths and Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Biology respectively. For A Level I should get AAA in Maths and Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics. I will also take economics next year as a new AS, maybe get an A in that. I will also do some work experience. What other things can I do to increase my chances?

What are my chances of getting in?
It's their most competitive Maths course. The typical offer was ABB, but due to the recent increase in competition for the course, the new requirement will be AAB for 2009 entry. Last year they anticipated to be in clearing (like usual), around March time, but came result day they faced a "bumper year", and so it didn't go into clearing last minute, and consequently I didn't get onto the course (which I don't regret as I have found the pure Maths to be very hard) after declining offers prior result day.

I think your chances are very good. The Maths department is not considered "top enough" by people to attract excess applicants, and as a result, does not require further maths (i.e. competition increases requirements). So the fact that you have further maths is a competitive advantage, and thus a lower-than-standard offer may even be granted. This year they're in extra again, which suggests that they're probably on borderline in terms of filling spaces.

I wouldn't worry if I were you
Aspire
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
mustard-man how do you know that the pure maths is hard if you're doing economics?Did you have to do some pure maths modules.Also, what would you say is the most difficult aspect of the course?
Mustard-man
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Aspire)
mustard-man how do you know that the pure maths is hard if you're doing economics?Did you have to do some pure maths modules.Also, what would you say is the most difficult aspect of the course?
I stupidly chose a Maths unit for my option unit We still had pretty similar Maths content for one of our Econ units, on the Matrix algebra topic, however, the proofs and theorems were just omitted.

I don't know what the most difficult aspect of the MWAS course is because I don't do it. But the 1st year is the same / very similar across all the Maths courses, so perhaps Sarah here can help with that.
Sarah H
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you did Further Maths A2, then you'll probably find the 1st year a little more easier than those who haven't - I only did it to AS, (think FP1 was the only further mod I took) but still found it helped when we did Differential Eqns and the like. I also know that some of the lecturers (namely my personal tutor) thought the first year was too easy when we did it, so they've juggled around with the syllabus a bit, and involved a lot more Linear Algebra. I think the main difference between school maths and university maths is the abstract thinking involved (if you know what I mean). There is a lot more Pure Maths involved in the first year (stuff like sets etc - can't remember that far back at the moment, all I can remember is all the 2nd year analysis and PDE's!). If you have a look at the school website (www.soton.ac.uk/maths), you can have a look under current students for a list of courses and what exactly they cover for a more detailed aspect
aegis1
Report 10 years ago
I'm with you on this one, Mustard-man...

I did a couple of the Maths masters modules as options for my Engineering doctorate...so know the feeling!!! lol
marcusmerehay
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
eep...i'm hopefully doing a Maths Masters degree there...do you need a new calculator, or will a normal A-Level graphics calculator suffice?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by marcusmerehay)
eep...i'm hopefully doing a Maths Masters degree there...do you need a new calculator, or will a normal A-Level graphics calculator suffice?
for exams only calculators with the university logo on (available from the SU shop for £10 IIRC) are allowed in so don't buy a new calculator before you arrive.
Mustard-man
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah, wait till you get there. You can also buy secondhand ones on sussed...
b_patel
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Mustard-man)
It's their most competitive Maths course. The typical offer was ABB, but due to the recent increase in competition for the course, the new requirement will be AAB for 2009 entry. Last year they anticipated to be in clearing (like usual), around March time, but came result day they faced a "bumper year", and so it didn't go into clearing last minute, and consequently I didn't get onto the course (which I don't regret as I have found the pure Maths to be very hard) after declining offers prior result day.

I think your chances are very good. The Maths department is not considered "top enough" by people to attract excess applicants, and as a result, does not require further maths (i.e. competition increases requirements). So the fact that you have further maths is a competitive advantage, and thus a lower-than-standard offer may even be granted. This year they're in extra again, which suggests that they're probably on borderline in terms of filling spaces.

I wouldn't worry if I were you
hi mustard man ... i was just wondering ... did u get in2 your course at soton through the clearing system ?? ... wanted to kno because i really want to get onto that course for 2009 and i havent recieved any acknowledgement or offer from the department.
Mustard-man
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by b_patel)
hi mustard man ... i was just wondering ... did u get in2 your course at soton through the clearing system ?? ... wanted to kno because i really want to get onto that course for 2009 and i havent recieved any acknowledgement or offer from the department.
Yeah, I did (for Economics and Actuarial Science). However, Economics wasn't in clearing this year...
b_patel
Report 10 years ago
Yeah, I did (for Economics and Actuarial Science). However, Economics wasn't in clearing this year...
ohh ok im not applying for str8 eco im applying for your course so thats good to hear for me .... do u kno if it Economics and Actuarial science was in clearing this year ??
Mustard-man
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by b_patel)
ohh ok im not applying for str8 eco im applying for your course so thats good to hear for me .... do u kno if it Economics and Actuarial science was in clearing this year ??
No no, none of the Economics courses were in clearing except for Politics and Economics which is administered by the Politics and International Relations department.

Edit: I don't think you should worry that much as your academics look sound and you should receive an offer You could give them a ring and confirm if your application is currently being considered...
b_patel
Report 10 years ago
No no, none of the Economics courses were in clearing except for Politics and Economics which is administered by the Politics and International Relations department.

Edit: I don't think you should worry that much as your academics look sound and you should receive an offer You could give them a ring and confirm if your application is currently being considered...
ohhh man ... hopefully ill get an offer then (fingers crossed) ...
Mustard-man
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah, good luck with it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (551)
37.84%
No - but I will (114)
7.83%
No - I don't want to (102)
7.01%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (689)
47.32%

Watched Threads