The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Does Imperial have tutorials like Oxbridge?

Hi,
I am thinking of applying to Imperial and I've heard they've got a tutorial system that includes fortnight sessions with a tutor. I couldn't find much information about it online so I though I'd ask someone that's been to Imperial. Do you actually get 1 to 1 (or group) academic sessions like at Oxbridge, or is it just like your form tutor checking if you're getting along fine instead of actually having academic sessions and helping with your homework and teaching you content?

Thank you :smile:
Original post by Bazookatron21
Hi,
I am thinking of applying to Imperial and I've heard they've got a tutorial system that includes fortnight sessions with a tutor. I couldn't find much information about it online so I though I'd ask someone that's been to Imperial. Do you actually get 1 to 1 (or group) academic sessions like at Oxbridge, or is it just like your form tutor checking if you're getting along fine instead of actually having academic sessions and helping with your homework and teaching you content?

Thank you :smile:

In the first year of Imperial, almost all students have weekly meetings with personal tutors, in groups usually not more than 5. Some of them set you problems to do, some only discuss questions on problem sheets depending on the subject and tutor.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
So for physics at least they've just reformed the course. It used to be that you would have four tutorials a week, which would be in groups of 15-20 going over problems, school-style (although there'd be fewer people in tutorials in later years). Now they replaced that with a two-hour seminar session per week, where there's about 60 of us but each in groups of 5, and sessions with your academic tutor once every two weeks where it might be going over exam questions, re-learning weak topics, things like that.
The difference between these tutorials and Oxbridge tutorials is a) groups are slightly larger, I think at Oxbridge it's usually no more than 3 or 4 (they're not usually 1-1), b) you don't have them as often and c) your academic tutor at Imperial won't set you work, whereas at Oxbridge I think they do?
Oh ok I get it now. Thanks for the help guys, I was just curious since I wanna do Electronic and Information Engineering but I don't take Further Maths A-lvls. Hopefully these tutorials can help me catch up at least a bit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending