What do I need to get in? Watch

Keva
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Can anyone advise me on want I need to gain to get on a university course? Ive recently left my job and fancy doing a course at University relating to computer games. Im 22 if that makes any differance.

My qualifications are:

GCSE

English - D
Maths - D
Science (Double) - E,E
French - D
I.T (Double) C,C
Design And Technology - D

I.T (A/S Level) - D,D,E,U

Any help is appreciated
inksplodge
  • CV Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't think you could get into a degree-related course at the mo just by looking at your grades, but you could go back to college and do a diploma in games design or something.
Bangers+Mash
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Im sure you can do an access course at a college,
Maybe you could contact your local college and see what they can offer
Roobagnall
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
with those grades youd get no where.
Best bet is to go back to college and doing a course in something like computer design or computing... Along that lines and then when thats done go to uni or try your hardest to get a apprentice position at a games company but beware, it is competative
Keva
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Yea I thought my grades wernt up to much. Thanks for the help though.
Nayberay
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'd retake GCSE Maths and English to start off with or do key skills and maybe do the BTEC IT Practitioners thing.
zef99
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Keva)
Can anyone advise me on want I need to gain to get on a university course? Ive recently left my job and fancy doing a course at University relating to computer games. Im 22 if that makes any differance.

My qualifications are:

GCSE

English - D
Maths - D
Science (Double) - E,E
French - D
I.T (Double) C,C
Design And Technology - D

I.T (A/S Level) - D,D,E,U

Any help is appreciated
how does this sound http://www.uel.ac.uk/programmes/ssmc...amesdesign.htm

good luck.
Amy_J
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'd recommend Media Studies.
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah, to get into any unversity you need C's in Maths & English Lang or equivalents & a total of 5 A*-C GCSE's or equivalent.
xJessx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
For GCSE, some degrees want a minimum of A-Cs in certain subjects, normally maths, english and science so you could probably retake those through evening classes or maybe even distance learning. To actually get onto the degree, you would then have to do a BTEC or possibly a foundation year/access course to prepare you for the first year. Good luck OP.
FiveFiveSix
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
With qualifications like those, I'd recommend you learn to suck a golf-ball through a garden hose...
Enchanté
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by FiveFiveSix)
With qualifications like those, I'd recommend you learn to suck a golf-ball through a garden hose...
That was rather rude....

OP, I'd suggest maybe going to college and doing an access course there if they offer any or just any other course that you like the sound of, and maybe head to university in a few years.
faber niger
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by zef99)
how does this sound http://www.uel.ac.uk/programmes/ssmc...amesdesign.htm

good luck.
That sounds great. It says that they offer an interview to all mature applicants and consider their individual circumstances. You may have to do a couple of A-Levels or an Access Course, but if you show willing, they may accept you as is.
FiveFiveSix
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Enchanté)
That was rather rude....

OP, I'd suggest maybe going to college and doing an access course there if they offer any or just any other course that you like the sound of, and maybe head to university in a few years.
I'm rather rude. It's part of my rough charm. What a lot of people don't realise is education and especially uni isn't the be all and end all. You can get a perfectly good job without a desmond from your local poly...
faber niger
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm rather rude. It's part of my rough charm. What a lot of people don't realise is education and especially uni isn't the be all and end all. You can get a perfectly good job without a desmond from your local poly...
Oh, and I was the one that neg repped you btw -- I forgot to include my name.

Of course, if we had all been to public schools, like yourself, then no-one would have such grades; as is, many people, to quote your profile, 'languish' in the state sector.

P.S. I've been more charmed by a golf ball. A dirty driving range one at that.
FiveFiveSix
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jismith1989)
Oh, and I was the one that neg repped you btw -- I forgot to include my name.

Of course, if we had all been to public schools, like yourself, then no-one would have such grades; as is, many people, to quote your profile, 'languish' in the state sector.

P.S. I've been more charmed by a golf ball. A dirty driving range one at that.
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. The public school thing was tongue-in-cheek... It's called wit, you humourless cretin. In case you hadn't noticed, I tend to temper my piss-taking with sound advice, as in my last post. The current climate seems to push everyone towards further education, when in many cases, it's just not suitable. Why push someone with less than spectacular grades towards an environment where he/she will only be under more pressure to achieve?

I'm never going to achieve spectacular grades myself, public education or no public education. If I get my required grades, I'm off to uni. If not, I'm not going to break my neck trying to get in anywhere that will take me.

A dirty driving range golf-ball! I like it... Maybe not so completely humourless after all. But still, neg rep? If I gave a damn about those little green boxes, maybe I'd get upset. As it is, I don't think I should be pilloried for suggesting uni is not the way forward for some people. That's no negative reflection on them, that's just the way it is. I just don't like the way we are all pushed to higher education when its just not right for everyone.

PS. If you're a bloke, I'm not trying to charm you. No doubt you'll be heartbroken to hear I don't swing that way, sweet cheeks.
faber niger
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. The public school thing was tongue-in-cheek... It's called wit, you humourless cretin. In case you hadn't noticed, I tend to temper my piss-taking with sound advice, as in my last post. The current climate seems to push everyone towards further education, when in many cases, it's just not suitable. Why push someone with less than spectacular grades towards an environment where he/she will only be under more pressure to achieve?

I'm never going to achieve spectacular grades myself, public education or no public education. If I get my required grades, I'm off to uni. If not, I'm not going to break my neck trying to get in anywhere that will take me.

A dirty driving range golf-ball! I like it... Maybe not so completely humourless after all. But still, neg rep? If I gave a damn about those little green boxes, maybe I'd get upset. As it is, I don't think I should be pilloried for suggesting uni is not the way forward for some people. That's no negative reflection on them, that's just the way it is. I just don't like the way we are all pushed to higher education when its just not right for everyone.

PS. If you're a bloke, I'm not trying to charm you. No doubt you'll be heartbroken to hear I don't swing that way, sweet cheeks.
Fair enough. I don't particularly know how useful a degree he could get would be to him in getting into the computer games industry, but I see your point. Though, equally, I don't think he should be written off, just because he hasn't done so well in the past.

I retract that -- you're not completely charmless. I think your fellow golf ball deserves a wash!
FiveFiveSix
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jismith1989)
Fair enough. I don't particularly know how useful a degree he could get would be to him in getting into the computer games industry, but I see your point. Though, equally, I don't think he should be written off, just because he hasn't done so well in the past.

I retract that -- you're not completely charmless. I think your fellow golf ball deserves a wash!
From what very, very, very little I know of the industry, experience and skill is preferred over bits of paper. I'm not writing anyone off, like I said, getting my required grades will be a miracle, but I've got scuba-diver's lungs, so garden hoses here we come! Still best of luck to the bloke.
prospectivEEconomist
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
**** you who think she doesn't have the grades. Look up city university as they do gaming courses. Take a look here:

http://search.ucas.co.uk/cgi-bin/hsr...OLOGY&single=N
MuseValheru
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
FiveFiveSix is correct within the IT industry it is more about past experience than qualifcations. I would suggest trying your hand at a college course, there is less pressure, less finantical commitment and its easier. Once you have attained a qualification within this area you can decide weather you would like to find a job or go to university, an extra year is nothing to a 22 year old, and it could change your life for the better. It will give you time to decide if this is really what you want without getting into huge amounts of debt.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (125)
39.06%
No - but I will (17)
5.31%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.25%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (158)
49.38%

Watched Threads