WRT Router firmware, which is best? Watch

gamer91
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Ok, my WRT54gl is in the post, so now im thinking about new firmware, I'm having a bit of trouble deciding between dd-wrt and tomato.
Basically I want to use it as a access point most of the time, however I will need it when I have the clan over for a LAN party, for that I will also need to use all the ports as well as the wireless (QoS will also be important)
All the time the WRT will be behind my main router/modem so I would like to have all ports open (saves me having to set select ports for various games)

so what do you think guys, dd-wrt or tomato?
gamer91
Rep:
?
anybody?
J Darnley
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I use dd-wrt myself and I think it is excellent. You shouldn't need to set up much except for telling it to not act as a gateway. I recently discovered tomato though but I haven't tried it out yet because with my whole family here, they ***** if I just restart a router.
wizard710
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I would like to try it but I don't have a wrt router
Rhys.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I use dd-wrt on a WRT54GL and it's been good. The odd upset but not sure if that's dd-wrt's fault or the hardware. Have been looking to trying out Tomato at some point, but haven't got around to it yet.

Sounds like you'd be able to do everything you need on dd-wrt. The QoS on it is good, too.
gamer91
Rep:
?
Cool, thanks alot guys, I'll try my luck with dd-wrt
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (322)
37.49%
No - but I will (67)
7.8%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.22%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (408)
47.5%

Watched Threads