How much do uni students spend in a week Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
If your a uni student tell me how much you spend in week not including your rent
Anonymous #2
Report 2 weeks ago
I set myself a budget.
£15 or less on food shopping.
£10 or less on transport.
Anonymous #3
Report 2 weeks ago
£35 a week on food
+ £56 monthly travel pass
That’s it tbh
(London student)
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Oh thank you x
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
If your a uni student tell me how much you spend in week not including your rent
Far too much, if my kids are anything to go by
Acsel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Somewhere in the region of £200-300 a month, so an average of £50-75 a week. That includes food, any days out/events/etc., spending on hobbies (mostly books), phone bill, subscriptions and so on.
Last edited by Acsel; 2 weeks ago
AzureCeleste
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
up to 250 a month. I never tend to spend anymore. Normally its about 200 and that covers everything from clothes to travel to transport to food
ChelseaZolaaa
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
£100-150 a week
DanF_2000
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Around £20-30 on groceries and maybe £10 on lunches or drinks, and around £5 on laundry. I live in halls so pay my rent at the start of each term along with getting the maintenance loan. Just have to watch I don't overspend like I have done the past month. All the subscriptions I'm on: £23 for phone, £19 for tablet (both with O2), £4.99 with Spotify, £6.99 with PS Plus, £6.99 with Youtube Premium, plus buying games, things on Amazon, etc.
Anonymous #2
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by DanF_2000)
Around £20-30 on groceries and maybe £10 on lunches or drinks, and around £5 on laundry. I live in halls so pay my rent at the start of each term along with getting the maintenance loan. Just have to watch I don't overspend like I have done the past month. All the subscriptions I'm on: £23 for phone, £19 for tablet (both with O2), £4.99 with Spotify, £6.99 with PS Plus, £6.99 with Youtube Premium, plus buying games, things on Amazon, etc.
That's a lot of money spent. Depending on how much loan you get / your rent & etc. For me, I'm very lucky that I don't have to contribute to laundry and electronics because my family cover all of that for me. The only thing I spend my actual money on is the rent for my halls / food shopping / transport and clothes (occasionally). It must be tough having to spend that individually. Oh and the YouTube thing I wouldn't even bother with that lol.
DanF_2000
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
That's a lot of money spent. Depending on how much loan you get / your rent & etc. For me, I'm very lucky that I don't have to contribute to laundry and electronics because my family cover all of that for me. The only thing I spend my actual money on is the rent for my halls / food shopping / transport and clothes (occasionally). It must be tough having to spend that individually. Oh and the YouTube thing I wouldn't even bother with that lol.
With my maintenance loan (get full loan so £8700) and accommodation (£4500) I still have a fair bit to live off, plus savings I made before coming to uni. In January I'm going to apply for a job at the student union to help with finances, and I'm tempted to cancel Youtube Premium/PS Plus. Just curious but which uni do you go to? I'm in Huddersfield so the prices aren't too bad, plus I've only recently started shopping at Lidl instead of Sainsburys
OR321
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I’d say around £100 a week I spend. A lot more if there’s a pair of shoes or some clothes that I really like 😂
_gcx
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
last week I spent £72.50 but that was a particularly expensive week.
centraltrains
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
£275 transport a term, plus *max* £2 (Usually a 35-80p roll from sainsburys though) a day on lunch = £35 (as a commuter/home student)
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
£15-£20 a week on food
Roughly £6 a week on transport. I bought a bus pass lasting the whole academic year and this is what it works out at per week
I don't really have anything else that I need to know the weekly amount
Anonymous #3
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
£15-£20 a week on food
Roughly £6 a week on transport. I bought a bus pass lasting the whole academic year and this is what it works out at per week
I don't really have anything else that I need to know the weekly amount
Where do u live for it to be £6 a week on transport... help
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Rent is very dependant on area but say a UK average is probably £110 per week, north a little bit cheaper, the South more expensive, London way more.
Bills: water, electricity, gas etc. isn't that much per week i'm guessing £10 but depends how many people you share with, some people get rent with bills.

Living: £100 is average I think (it definitely used to be far less, and some students have to spend less) but if you include travel costs, food, essentials (cleaning, hygiene), random extra living costs, nights out, gym, sports teams, societies, course costs...
{ive seen people run out of overdraft and live off almost nothing, it does happen, dont spend 6 weeks money in freshers week, youll regret it}

Its hard for me to say as im now a PhD student so live off a little bit more than other students so have tried to guesstimate what i think the average undergrad spends atm.

EDIT: misread your thing, thought you said including rent... missed the not
Last edited by mnot; 1 week ago
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Where do u live for it to be £6 a week on transport... help
That's just the rough cost. I bought an academic year bus pass and that's what it works out as per week. I live in a student city
sg1lucy
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Some people spend so much! My rent for the year is about £2,750 which is paid in a lump sum. I set a budget of about £150 each month, so I normally spend about £30/35 each week, including food (nice food too, smoked salmon and fresh juice and bits) clothing (very rarely, I might pick up a cheap top or the occasional good deal in tkmaxx) and entertainment stuff, tapes, books, craft stuff and stamps for my collection! I also have prime student which is £3.99 a month, but thats the only subscription thing I have as I make that back easily just by the postage alone from amazon!
Confuusedstudent
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I find it best by doing a big shop every two weeks to stop my self from paying loads every week. This can come to to £25 fortnightly.
Weekly (for things like milk or perishables) around 5 pounds.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bishop Grosseteste University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 15 Nov '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (112)
65.5%
No (59)
34.5%

Watched Threads