What do you think is the best video game ever? Watch

davesantana
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
when i had my ps4 DEFO last of us. finished it years ago, and the memories still make me shed a tear.
AnxiousGuy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by davesantana)
when i had my ps4 DEFO last of us. finished it years ago, and the memories still make me shed a tear.
i know right.
RacerBoy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
In my personal list I have 3 choices 1) PUBG 2) GTA 3) xBoxOne.
Picnic1
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
For me, it has to be a game that you could return to many years later and you don't feel the need to make any allowances for advances in tech specs. You also feel that the story feels very fresh to you again and you feel a sense that you can explore any aspect of the game and have a sense that you COULD find something new (even if, in actuality, you can't).
Before open world games (a genre of which I'm not a huge fan in terms of picking best games), this required a genius stroke in terms of level design, art design, careful granting of improved abilities (if any).

As much as I enjoy them on a first play through. Uncharted games do not feel fresh after the first play through. Certain corridor sections don't even feel fresh on first play through as they are reminiscent of earlier Uncharted games.
The Last of Us is a big improvement in feeling fresh but it's still heavily a story driven game where your choices are actually limited and that will always make Naughty Dog not on my list for best game ever.

My contenders are:

Metroid Prime
Half Life 2
Bioshock
Jet Set Radio Future

They feel like playgrounds offering just enough sense of freedom without too much freedom.

Of the current generation, Hitman 2 has been a favourite of mine, although it perhaps hasn't hit the heights of Hitman 2016 overall.
Last edited by Picnic1; 3 months ago
Glaz
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
MW2
Suchomimus
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Roblox 4 life
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
The 'objective' answer I'd give is probably Ocarina of Time or something like that.
My very subjective answer would be Pokémon Black/White. As video games they're the best in the Pokémon series, regardless of opinions on the actual Pokémon species in it.
DR.DOOM
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by math42)
Okami
I'm glad to see people showing appreciation for this game. It deserves way more recognition.

For me, the best game ever made is Deus Ex (the first one). Best writing in a game ever made. In second it would be Pokemon MD: EOS

(Original post by Sinnoh)
The 'objective' answer I'd give is probably Ocarina of Time or something like that.
My very subjective answer would be Pokémon Black/White. As video games they're the best in the Pokémon series, regardless of opinions on the actual Pokémon species in it.
Platinum is way better, your name is even Sinnoh XD. I played emerald and I really liked it but Platinum will always be the best. It was a generation ahead of its time
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by DR.DOOM)
I'm glad to see people showing appreciation for this game. It deserves way more recognition.

For me, the best game ever made is Deus Ex (the first one). Best writing in a game ever made. In second it would be Pokemon MD: EOS

Platinum is way better, your name is even Sinnoh XD. I played emerald and I really liked it but Platinum will always be the best. It was a generation ahead of its time
Yeah with Pokémon games Platinum is definitely close second for me and probably has been my favourite at some point.
Now if we had the Pokémon from Gen IV included in Black and White... :drool:
FakeNewsEditor
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Warcraft III
LaPregunta
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Fallout New Vegas
joliephillips
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
red dead redemption 2 is, without a doubt, my favourite game ever and i do think it's the best game ever

but i also really like overwatch, the last of us and the mass effect trilogy!
combatmatrix088
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Mass Effect 2. It's an ideal space opera game for me. Amazing sci-fi visuals, well-written story with developed characters and cinematic presentation, large amounts of freedom as you travel around the galaxy in a private starship, you can form relationships, have huge character customization options, your choices in the previous installment effect the story of ME2, the ending and outcome of the final batle is determined by your decisions as well. Epic soundtrack (the Suicide Mission theme is simply legendary) and overall it's rich and elaborated sci-fi universe that you can explore in the gameplay as well as codex entries. I haven't mentioned the smooth third-person shooter gameplay. There's a lot here in this game but I recommend playing only after yu passed the first Mass Effect and imported your save files.
Yukikobestgirl
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
NieR Automata atm
pyroish
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Rollercoaster tycoon 2 is such a fun game, I love it
Ramsay07
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
The last of us has to be one of the best ever, but along with that life is strange was such an emotional rollercoaster that was so enjoyable, think it would now miss something that you can just play through it all rather than having to wait months for each episode
jumpman123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Uncharted 2 and 4 were amazing
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by combatmatrix088)
Mass Effect 2. It's an ideal space opera game for me. Amazing sci-fi visuals, well-written story with developed characters and cinematic presentation, large amounts of freedom as you travel around the galaxy in a private starship, you can form relationships, have huge character customization options, your choices in the previous installment effect the story of ME2, the ending and outcome of the final batle is determined by your decisions as well. Epic soundtrack (the Suicide Mission theme is simply legendary) and overall it's rich and elaborated sci-fi universe that you can explore in the gameplay as well as codex entries. I haven't mentioned the smooth third-person shooter gameplay. There's a lot here in this game but I recommend playing only after yu passed the first Mass Effect and imported your save files.
ME1 is my favourite but the whole trilogy is excellent.
_gcx
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Sinnoh)
Ocarina of Time is overrated. The "classic" happens within the child portion (first three dungeons) which is like 1/4 of the game. After then it's good, but not a masterpiece.

Majora's Mask is better.
NotNotBatman
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by _gcx)
Ocarina of Time is overrated. The "classic" happens within the child portion (first three dungeons) which is like 1/4 of the game. After then it's good, but not a masterpiece.

Majora's Mask is better.
I disagree about OOT being overrated, simply for replayability. The first time I played it was 18 years ago tbf, but it was a beautiful game, which was easier to get into than MM.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (195)
67.71%
No (93)
32.29%

Watched Threads