would you tell? Watch

English lit geek
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I need some help. If you knew a friend who was taking drugs to an extreme would you tell some one, even if there is a chance they may find out it was you and if they ask you not to say anything? I'm worried because they seem to losing control of their life but are so out of it all the time they don't seem to care. any advice?
Harv616
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I would tell and be damned what they think, if its destroying their life they need help.
hannah_dru
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Harv616)
I would tell and be damned what they think, if its destroying their life they need help.
:dito:

They might not thank you at that point but later on in life they will.
PoisonDonna
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I would tell. They'll thank you in the long run.
Audrey Hepburn
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I would absolutely tell, they are putting their own lives at risk. It's not like we're still in the playground and that damn ridiculous honor code still applies! The worst that could happen if you tell is that you lose them as a friend, the worst that could happen if you don't is that they die and therefore you lose them as a friend anyway.
randomgirl
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Have you encouraged your friend to seek help and tell somebody themselves? If yes and they haven't, then tell. As people have said, they'll thank you in the long run and you have their best interests at heart.
Charlski
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Tell. One day, they'll thank you, although they probably won't see it like that straight away.
Anonymous #1
Report 10 years ago
yes. my sister was like this last year (only not very very extreme, just quite regularly taking class As) and after a few weeks i had to tell my parents. (i tried to contact her at uni, but she was never around and refused to go on msn)
it was for her own good, and if she had been urt or died from an E overdose, or beaten up by a dealer, i never would have forgiven myself.
in a way, one could argue that my reasons for telling on her were selfish. but sometimes you have to think about what' best for yourself, before others, otherwse the consequences could be very serious.
mollymustard
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think it really depends on the severity of the situation as to whether you should tell or not. If you honestly think your friend has an addiction, and cannot stop using or is putting themselves in danger day after day without having any control of themselves then you should speak to someone about it. If its a little recreational use then its probably best just to leave them to it as it may be a phase.

You will probably end up losing them as a friend for a period of time after you reveal their drug habit, so you must be prepared for that. Obviously in the long run, they will probably forgive you but you may get a few angry phone calls when it first happens.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (553)
37.82%
No - but I will (115)
7.87%
No - I don't want to (103)
7.05%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (691)
47.26%

Watched Threads