The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Without a Shadow
Well I agree with you, I don't think people here understand what you mean if they disagree. It's obvioulsy a good idea to have the volume raised over say 2 or 3 seconds. Ears get damaged from a sudden loud noise, but if it's raised to that noise there is a much lower chance of damage.

Thumbs up OP :smile:

That would just mean it takes 2 or 3 seconds more for the sound to reach a volume that the guy in the white Nissan with his stereos on full is going to hear.

When the ambulance is travelling a distance of 10 km, the delays add up, meaning the patient might end up at the hospital a minute later than he otherwise would have.
How about a siren to warn of the siren coming on?
Reply 22
its all about GTA ambulances lool
HJV
That would just mean it takes 2 or 3 seconds more for the sound to reach a volume that the guy in the white Nissan with his stereos on full is going to hear.

When the ambulance is travelling a distance of 10 km, the delays add up, meaning the patient might end up at the hospital a minute later than he otherwise would have.

A minute?

No. If you are in traffic the sirens go on with the lights (visual indication) 2 seconds later the volume is at its normal level.

How would that be a minute extra?
BSJ
its all about GTA ambulances lool

Or the Land Rover v12's. They look mint them ambulances do.
I agree with Amy_J's solution, except instead of a megaphone you just have a guy yell out the window:
"Oi! I'm putting the siren on!"

But then if you're right next to him, megaphone or not, you'd still get startled.

For the record, it's really unlikely that someone could actually come to harm from a loud noise, but if they do they might be suffering from shock, so if someone does go all pale and looks shocked, the thing to do is to lie them on the floor with their arms down by their sides and with someone holding their legs in the air, to get blood back to the heart and make the re-oxygenation of the blood easier.
:smile:
Amy_J
At least she wouldn't have had to wait long for an ambulance.

:biggrin:
cascadingstylez
A minute?

No. If you are in traffic the sirens go on with the lights (visual indication) 2 seconds later the volume is at its normal level.

30 lots of those 2 second delays would add up to a minute. If the traffic is particularly bad, or the ambulance is passing from busy to empty to busy constantly, then they'll turn the siren on and off, which will create those 2 second delays.
cascadingstylez
No start quiet and over 2 seconds raise the volume so they dont scare the crap out of you when its real loud. I am not saying reduce the volume altogether, the volume levels are fine its just the way the sirens start that isn't.

Give an indication to people the sirens are about to go on without scaring the crap out of them.

There's no point in having the siren go constantly from when the ambulance starts to move. It's only needed when the ambulance can't get through do to busy roads etc they're meant to be like that to alert you anyway.
Amy_J
Perhaps we could equip one of the paramedics on each ambulance with a megaphone, so that he can announce to anyone within earshot that the sirens shall be coming on imminently?

and by the time everyone has been warned a human life has been lost.

Jesus, OP, take a chill pill, how would you feel if you or someone you loved DIED because the ambulance took its time getting to you.
Reply 30
I agree OP.
Reply 31
cascadingstylez
A minute?

2 seconds on 30 separate instances over the 10 km trip where the sirens are turned on

= 1 minute.

Oh, and also, at 80 km/h 2 seconds is around 40 meters distance. How is the ambulance driver supposed predict when he will need the sirens on, if it takes 2 seconds for them to get loud enough for the cars to hear? In 2 seconds the ambulance will be 40 meters from the point where the driver pressed the button for the sirens.
Reply 32
cascadingstylez
Today I was at the bus stop and this Ambulance pulls by real slow then out of nowhere this real loud siren. I wouldn't rant as much but the poor lady next to me was hysterical.

Her daughter had to calm her down because she was saying she was having chest pains and stuff because the Ambulance scared the living daylights out of her. Not sure what happened to her, she seemed better by the time I got on the bus.

But Ambulances are starting to piss me off because they just seem to scare the life out of people when they put their sirens on. Its happened to me loads of times. What about people with weak hearts? They must think "Oh lets not consider that minority".

I think the sirens should start of low and then go higher in volume over a few seconds.

Yes they save lives and yes they serve a good purpose, i don't doubt that.

I'd suggest that an ambulance was in the best position to help someone they scared to death...

Sirens need to be loud for a very good reason. If you can find empirical evidence to suggest that emergency service vehicles have caused people personal injury or death through the use of their sirens (Not the driving whilst using the sirens) I'll gladly change my mind. However, until then, I think a 4 minute classical music build up to a siren crescendo, overture is a pointless idea. Giving someone a bit of a start is a small price to pay for the benefit of the siren.
Reply 33
HJV
2 seconds on 30 separate instances over the 10 km trip where the sirens are turned on

= 1 minute.

Oh, and also, at 80 km/h 2 seconds is around 40 meters distance. How is the ambulance driver supposed predict when he will need the sirens on, if it takes 2 seconds for them to get loud enough for the cars to hear? In 2 seconds the ambulance will be 40 meters from the point where the driver pressed the button for the sirens.

Well justified. It's like pushing your car horn and nothing coming out for a couple of seconds... They're both audial warnings, why should they be treated differently?
"Stylez" You are clearly a plank.
Ambulances have sirens to get people out of the way to save lives.
Would you like to die because an ambulance couldn't get there fast enough, just so they wouldn't slightly shock someone?
No. Exactly.

My work here is done - *flies off*
Captain Obvious
"Stylez" You are clearly a plank.
Ambulances have sirens to get people out of the way to save lives.
Would you like to die because an ambulance couldn't get there fast enough, just so they wouldn't slightly shock someone?
No. Exactly.

My work here is done - *flies off*

Do you often get people replying sarcastically to your posts with "Well, obviously!"?

And I agree with Mad Vlad, you can't cause any serious harm by startling them a bit, else the producers of horror films would be broke by now.
Reply 36
I've seen Ambulances drive past - Light's flashing & no Siren
Reply 37
:rofl: at the OP.
Sirens usually scare the **** out of me....but I would rather that than the person they are on the way to die
Reply 39
Do you feel the same about police cars and fire engines too?

Latest

Trending

Trending