The Student Room Group

Year 9 Tests...should I worry?

Upon realizing that I have essentially spent all of my half term playing videogames and hanging out with family, I've come to a realization that my Year 9 tests are all happening next week and I haven't revised. Not saying I haven't a clue on my subjects but I'm wondering if I should fit in some revision or just leave it?
Is year 9 worth revising since it's the first year for GCSE, or should I just focus a bit more on relaxing before school?
Original post by ImAlfie
Upon realizing that I have essentially spent all of my half term playing videogames and hanging out with family, I've come to a realization that my Year 9 tests are all happening next week and I haven't revised. Not saying I haven't a clue on my subjects but I'm wondering if I should fit in some revision or just leave it?
Is year 9 worth revising since it's the first year for GCSE, or should I just focus a bit more on relaxing before school?

Even if you just do half an hour per subject, it's better than nothing. Year 9 tests aren't important, to be honest, but they are good practice for the real exams. If you get into the habit of revising now, even just a small amount, you'll find it easier to settle into to proper revision in 2 years time.
Original post by DrawTheLine
Even if you just do half an hour per subject, it's better than nothing. Year 9 tests aren't important, to be honest, but they are good practice for the real exams. If you get into the habit of revising now, even just a small amount, you'll find it easier to settle into to proper revision in 2 years time.

agree with this 100%
Reply 3
Half an hour per subject's gonna be...

Half an hour per subject is gonna be...5 hours and 30 minutes.
I guess I shouldn't have spent so much time with my parents yesterday and instead should have revised -_-
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by ImAlfie

Half an hour per subject is gonna be...5 hours and 30 minutes. Right on it.

Half an hour was just an example. It could be 10 minutes, 20 minutes, however much you want to do. But the main point to take away is try to do a little bit to help you prep for the real things. When it comes to proper revision, you'll be doing 5hr30m in a day, if not more.
Original post by ImAlfie

Half an hour per subject is gonna be...5 hours and 30 minutes. Right on it.

by half an hour-i mean like the main subjects (maths, science, if you take a langauge etc)
just spend 10-15 mins skimming through your book for geography, history etc
Year 9 isn't really the first year of GCSEs and the tests aren't that important (don't worry), but the end of Year 9 tests are quite important as they determine your sets for the next 2 years... you don't want to be stuck in a low set
Reply 7
Original post by anonymous7861
by half an hour-i mean like the main subjects (maths, science, if you take a langauge etc)
just spend 10-15 mins skimming through your book for geography, history etc

If that's the case...I mean, I don't think I'm that bad on this. English has always been my best subject, I got 8s and 9s in it for basically both years of secondary. Now got a decent Maths teacher so I'm up to date on that. Chemistry is good, Biology is not bad and Physics is going a little rough but decently. So I'm not too bad.
Original post by ImAlfie
If that's the case...I mean, I don't think I'm that bad on this. English has always been my best subject, I got 8s and 9s in it for basically both years of secondary. Now got a decent Maths teacher so I'm up to date on that. Chemistry is good, Biology is not bad and Physics is going a little rough but decently. So I'm not too bad.

good for you then :smile:
i don't remember revising for year 9 exams, if anything I actually flopped the Spanish exam.
they aren't important unless they decide whether you do triple/combined sciences, or if you're doing foundation/higher papers.
Half an hour was just an example. It could be 10 minutes, 20 minutes, however much you want to do. But the main point to take away is try to do a little bit to help you prep for the real things. When it comes to proper revision, you'll be doing 5hr30m in a day, if not more.

Nah for the real thing you don’t need to do 5hr 30 of revision a day maybe 4 max
Original post by 1st superstar
Nah for the real thing you don’t need to do 5hr 30 of revision a day maybe 4 max

It depends on the person. The main thing that matters is the quality of revision. As long as you're effectively revising the material, it doesn't matter if you spend 2 hours or 6 hours a day doing it, as long as it's actually sticking in your mind. Everybody is different. Some people do revise for a lot longer than others. It depends on what works for them.
It depends on the person. The main thing that matters is the quality of revision. As long as you're effectively revising the material, it doesn't matter if you spend 2 hours or 6 hours a day doing it, as long as it's actually sticking in your mind. Everybody is different. Some people do revise for a lot longer than others. It depends on what works for them.

True

Quick Reply

Latest