UK Uni drop out rate Watch

MrMat18
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hey just abit curious does anyone know what the figures are for drop out from uni. Ive been told its aboi8t 25% ( that seems extremly high).

Thanks
prospectivEEconomist
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Depends on course and university. Look at the completion rates.
xJessx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It differs from uni to uni. If you're interested in a few specific unis then you can find the rate by googling it I think. Push is a good website, (I'm not sure if it's called pushuni).
Garden_Gnome
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It can vary. From 2% to 33% I think. The average isn't 25%, I'm almost certain of that.

The Times ranks uni by completion rates

http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/tol_...ort=COMPLETION

Push will have stats and probably clearly ranked. However, you can still see a completion rate of each uni on the Sunday Times profiles (click on a specific uni on the table and follow the Sunday Times profile link).

By the way, completion rate isn't necessary the same as drop out rates. It includes those who failed to progress to the next level of study, as well as those that, for whatever reason, dropped out.
FadedJade
  • CV Helper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
This time last year it was 14%. (I worked at DIUS) but as I'm not there now I dont know this years figures.
prospectivEEconomist
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
uni stats has figures for the particular subject at your university
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't know why people take this sort of thing into account. Who cares what other people do? Just think about your own education.
Asclepius
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Like SF said, how likely are you to drop out, or be influenced by others dropping out? If you aren't then surely it doesn't matter what the official percentage is, because you aren't going to be one of those X%
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by SillyFencer)
I don't know why people take this sort of thing into account. Who cares what other people do? Just think about your own education.
Because looking at the drop out rate of your universities gives some idea as to the support there (it's not always a true correlation as there are other factors to take into account such as quality of students). But the general national drop out rate shouldn't be a great concern to an applicant. Especially as it varies so much.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by River85)
Because looking at the drop out rate of your universities gives some idea as to the support there (it's not always a true correlation as there are other factors to take into account such as quality of students). But the general national drop out rate shouldn't be a great concern to an applicant. Especially as it varies so much.
Actually it gives no idea as to the support there. There are so many different reasons why people would drop out of somewhere. You have to know yourself what you want out of the university, and choose carefully. If someone is wondering whether or not they will drop out before they go, then the uni's stats will make little difference.

Example: Someone drops out because they are homesick, they went to a uni in London because reputation was important, but they come from Inverness. Now, if they had ignored stats (ie, reputation), they would have went to a lesser reputed uni, and came out with a degree.

When I went to uni, people dropping out didn't phase me, because I knew that I was where I wanted to be, and knew for a fact that the only thing that would stop me getting a degree would be if I could not do the work.
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Actually it gives no idea as to the support there. There are so many different reasons why people would drop out of somewhere. You have to know yourself what you want out of the university, and choose carefully. If someone is wondering whether or not they will drop out before they go, then the uni's stats will make little difference.

Example: Someone drops out because they are homesick, they went to a uni in London because reputation was important, but they come from Inverness. Now, if they had ignored stats (ie, reputation), they would have went to a lesser reputed uni, and came out with a degree.

When I went to uni, people dropping out didn't phase me, because I knew that I was where I wanted to be, and knew for a fact that the only thing that would stop me getting a degree would be if I could not do the work.
That's why I said it's not a perfect correlation. There are numerous factors that influence drop out rate (homesickness, as you said) plus others. The top ranked unis often get the best students and they are therefore more able to cope with the demands of higher education. Or you would assume that, anyway.

So I wouldn't expect anyone to see that Durham, for example, has a low drop out/high contination rate and assume that it has great student support (it does though ) Likewise see a uni (such as Bolton) that has a very high drop out/low continuation rate and assume it has poor student support and completely dismiss the uni. THat would be foolish.

It does give a rough indication, however, and provides as a platform for further investigation.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by River85)
That's why I said it's not a perfect correlation. There are numerous factors that influence drop out rate (homesickness, as you said) plus others. The top ranked unis often get the best students and they are therefore more able to cope with the demands of higher education. Or you would assume that, anyway.

So I wouldn't expect anyone to see that Durham, for example, has a low drop out/high contination rate and assume that it has great student support (it does though ) Likewise see a uni (such as Bolton) that has a very high drop out/low continuation rate and assume it has poor student support and completely dismiss the uni. THat would be foolish.

It does give a rough indication, however, and provides as a platform for further investigation.
Although a lot of what you are saying is correct, I still disagree. If one has found what is right for them, then chances are they won't drop out, and simply looking at the drop-out stats of the dream university will provide no useful information what-so-ever.
rkd
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Although a lot of what you are saying is correct, I still disagree. If one has found what is right for them, then chances are they won't drop out, and simply looking at the drop-out stats of the dream university will provide no useful information what-so-ever.
People don't just drop out because they don't like the uni/course, though. They could have financial or personal problems, and the unis that offer the best support for those will have lower dropout rates.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by rkd)
People don't just drop out because they don't like the uni/course, though. They could have financial or personal problems, and the unis that offer the best support for those will have lower dropout rates.
WTH :confused:

Did you actually read any of my posts? My whole point is that there is hundreds of possible reasons for dropping out.

I love the way you contradict yourself there as well. You say there are other reasons for people dropping out, give one example and then say that the stats reflect his example. Come on, think before you post.
rkd
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
WTH :confused:

Did you actually read any of my posts? My whole point is that there is hundreds of possible reasons for dropping out.

I love the way you contradict yourself there as well. You say there are other reasons for people dropping out, give one example and then say that the stats reflect his example. Come on, think before you post.
Well, yes - but I was taking River85's point more that it was the financial/personal side that the stats reflect, especially since he emphasised 'student support' and people who chose the wrong course can't be helped as much as those who've just run out of money. You didn't seem to take this side of things into account.

"If one has found what is right for them, then chances are they won't drop out", for example - whether the course is or isn't right for them is irrelevant if they can't pay their 2nd year accommodation fees. That's where student support (eg. hardship funds) can help.
INTit
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
For low rank unis like mine its more to do with the quality of the students to be honest. It doesn't matter how good the teaching or support is when they accept an 18 year old with DDD at A-Level who still thinks hes at school. Hes going to drop out, and did :P
Master Polhem
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
We should encapsulate ourselves in 3 inch think steel boxes and have robots bury us in the ground THEN we can be absolutely sure that none of that curiosity nonsense gets around, god forbid should someone pose a question on the basis of curiosity or lack thereof...
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Master Polhem)
We should encapsulate ourselves in 3 inch think steel boxes and have robots bury us in the ground THEN we can be absolutely sure that none of that curiosity nonsense gets around, god forbid should someone pose a question on the basis of curiosity or lack thereof...
What are you talking about?
βored
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think he's saying the OP could be curious about the drop out rate but not actually planning on using the information to influence his choice of university.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by βored)
I think he's saying the OP could be curious about the drop out rate but not actually planning on using the information to influence his choice of university.
Oh. I thought he was talking about robots or something :confused:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (44)
37.93%
No - but I will (4)
3.45%
No - I don't want to (5)
4.31%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (63)
54.31%

Watched Threads